Apple Watch Able to Detect Abnormal Heart Rhythm With 97% Accuracy

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
Sorry not even close, many strokes are caused by silent AFib with few symptoms. Getting FDA approval for this is difficult. Another Company, Kardia has a Apple Watch band that they have been waiting for a long time.
The AliveCor Kardia Band is designed to integrate with an Apple Watch. It can be purchased outside of the US. Who knows when or if the FDA will approve. Apple Inc., if they desire to do so, can push this product through the FDA faster than about anyeon.

I use the $99 AliveCor Kardia Mobile ECG product. Its a small device you use to run a 1 channel Echo Cardiogram (a hospital uses 32 channel ECG). You press both thumbs against a metal membrane and the Kardia Mobile runs the test. My understanding (from reviews) is it will only say "see a doctor" if something abnormal is detected. I got a KArdia Mobile for $99 at Amazon -- in the USA (the FDA has approved the non watchband version of the product) It can tell if my heart has gone into A-Fib with "some confidence".

Here's the fun part.. Sure the FDA is a kill joy (we Americans are years behind the rest of the world in medical appliances). Read this carefully.. If you buy the AliveCor Kardia Mobile product in the USA you get one (and only one, guaranteed by law) review of your first ECG by a real oxygen breathing cardiologist. AliveCor doesn't want to do this but its the price to pay for selling in the USA (where the FDA wants to catch a false positive/negative on your first use.). Outside the US you don't get a cardiologist.

Scenario...

Think you might have a heart rhythm issue? Options..

0. Do nothing. If you are in A-Fib you could have a stroke at anytime.
1. Go to Cardiologist. A nice $800 workup (32 channel ECG with Dr. consult).
2. Buy a $99 AliveCor Kardia Mobile (USA). Register with your email, then get a free ECG analysis from a cardiologist (one only). Keep using it but trust the device to tell you if you have a heart rhythm issue (since no doctor will look at anything but the first scan.)
3. (Genius!). Pay $99 for the first scan and get reading by a Dr. Throw it away. A few months later, pay another $99 for a second device -- and get another "First scan" by a dr., Throw it away, .. . . Perpetually - just register a new email each time. You get (some of) a $800 workup for $99 at home any time you want.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
First, you're going to invest in the Apple Watch in the near future and yet in the below quote you stated You already own one. That doesn't make sense at all.
Let me make it some sense able ;) and clear your doubt :D Re-read my post I said "MORE" which means I am going to buy another apple watch if they release it this fall, I already have a series 2 SS model 42 mm(i never denied i don't have one) resting in its box for some time now, i am going to gift it to my brother next month on his birthday and i will get another series 3 later this year!

Edit :- that's a mistake i accidently write 45 mm i know it's 42 MM.corrected :) And if they didn't release series 3 this fall i am going for another 42 MM Space Black SS Model

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Let me clear your doubt, Re-read my post I said "MORE" which means I am going to buy another apple watch if they release it this fall, I already have a series 2 SS model 45 mm, resting in its box for some time now, i am going to gift it to my brother next month on his birthday and i will get another series 3 later this year
Wrong. Because There is NO 45 MM in stainless or any size in 45 MM Apple Watch for that matter. There is only a 38 MM or 42 MM. You Might want to research your facts before you quote me.

And there is NO confirmation of a Series 3. Its only been rumored.

Again, You contradict yourself between what you previously stated and you're currently posting.

burgman

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2013
The AliveCor Kardia Band is designed to integrate with an Apple Watch. It can be purchased outside of the US. Who knows when or if the FDA will approve. Apple Inc., if they desire to do so, can push this product through the FDA faster than about anyeon.

I use the $99 AliveCor Kardia Mobile ECG product. Its a small device you use to run a 1 channel Echo Cardiogram (a hospital uses 32 channel ECG). You press both thumbs against a metal membrane and the Kardia Mobile runs the test. My understanding (from reviews) is it will only say "see a doctor" if something abnormal is detected. I got a KArdia Mobile for $99 at Amazon -- in the USA (the FDA has approved the non watchband version of the product) It can tell if my heart has gone into A-Fib with "some confidence".

Here's the fun part.. Sure the FDA is a kill joy (we Americans are years behind the rest of the world in medical appliances). Read this carefully.. If you buy the AliveCor Kardia Mobile product in the USA you get one (and only one, guaranteed by law) review of your first ECG by a real oxygen breathing cardiologist. AliveCor doesn't want to do this but its the price to pay for selling in the USA (where the FDA wants to catch a false positive/negative on your first use.). Outside the US you don't get a cardiologist.

Scenario...

Think you might have a heart rhythm issue? Options..

0. Do nothing. If you are in A-Fib you could have a stroke at anytime.
1. Go to Cardiologist. A nice $800 workup (32 channel ECG with Dr. consult).
2. Buy a $99 AliveCor Kardia Mobile (USA). Register with your email, then get a free ECG analysis from a cardiologist (one only). Keep using it but trust the device to tell you if you have a heart rhythm issue (since no doctor will look at anything but the first scan.)
3. (Genius!). Pay $99 for the first scan and get reading by a Dr. Throw it away. A few months later, pay another $99 for a second device -- and get another "First scan" by a dr., Throw it away, .. . . Perpetually - just register a new email each time. You get (some of) a $800 workup for $99 at home any time you want.
Ahh, genius to me would be having a Cardio doc if you think you have a heart problem. Kardia app has an option to text or email recordings to anyone. Many docs use that option with patients now.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
(Cardiogram developer here) Yes—we're compatible with all Apple Watch hardware as long as you're on watchOS 3.
[doublepost=1494535132][/doublepost]

Atrial fibrillation is often asymptomatic—Circulation (the top cardiology journal) just published a big report on the evidence for device-based screening of AF:
circ.ahajournals.org/content/135/19/1851.full?ijkey=StzSPk8eljGaP2G&keytype=ref
It's interesting research, but I would just be cautious relying on a heart rate monitor to determine heart rhythm. Heart rhythm can't be determined for sure without an EKG lead, and even then there are some that are difficult to interpret. It's easy enough to determine an irregular rhythm. The hard part is telling whether it is a fib or premature ventricular contractions. But as a screening test it might be useful.

Dave