Apple Watch at the Movie theater

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Trocien, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Trocien macrumors newbie

So I am about to see Age of Ultron tonight and I am considering not taking my Watch with me. I have noticed that sometimes the screen lights up if I move my arms and the screen is pretty bright in dark rooms. I would hate to be that guy that annoys those around me with the small, albeit BRIGHT screen in the middle of their movie.

Has anyone tried this yet and would like to detail your experience? I am also considering just putting the watch in either Airplane mode but will still get the watch face with a big arm movement, or Power Reserve.

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I don't think it should be a problem unless you're eating popcorn. If so, eat it with your non-watch hand.

3. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Turn off the wrist raise feature should solve the problem.

4. Trocien thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh right. DUH!!!!

Okay nevermind. Problem solved.

5. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I'll be testing this scenario during Avengers tonight too! I'm not too worried though since I'm wearing long sleeves.

6. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I have work tomorrow, so I'll have to wait for either Friday or Saturday.

7. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

I watched the avengers last week at the cinema sitting in Dbox and didn't notice the watch lightening up

8. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

I'll be at avengers tonight as well! didnt know there was a disable for raising wrist, but now i do! thanks!

9. MellowMonkey42 macrumors newbie

Visited the theater a couple of times since I received my watch. I found that putting the watch into Power Saver mode cut down on distractions. Hold down the Contacts/Apple Pay button for a couple of seconds and select Power Saver mode.

10. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

The raise wrist feature should really be tied to Do Not Disturb.

11. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

While turning off the raise wrist function is a good solution, most people won't even think of this and we'll be seeing a lot of lit watches in movie theaters.

12. cmparrish macrumors newbie

I created a new modular watch face and turned off all the complications just leaving the time in the upper right corner and made that red. It's pretty dim and should do just fine in the theater. I'll test it out tomorrow night.

Chris

13. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

How was avengers? Just out of curiosity was it better then the first?

14. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Apple should make a "theater mode" similar to airplane mode.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If only Seinfeld were still running you know that would be a show gag that would irritate Jerry and George. I can see it playing out now... and it turns out to be Newman shoveling the popcorn in his mouth!

16. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

Well, not any time soon.

17. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

True, haha

18. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

It was pretty decent, other than hulk getting shot out into space and vision and scarlet witch having an intimate moment, it wasnt too bad.

19. kovey macrumors 6502a

This is a terrible solution, likely by somebody who doesn't yet have an apple watch. Turning off "wrist detection" removes your cards from Apple Pay:
    [​IMG]

The other option of "Activate on Wrist Raise" only gives you the option of what to display when you raise your wrist - not to disable it:
    [​IMG]

The only reasonable thing to do as somebody already pointed out would be enable battery reserve, so that you have to physically push a button for the screen to come on.

20. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

Kinda sounds off the wall just a tad but I know I'll end up seeing it thanks for the reply.

21. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. I was about to post the same thing.

As is so often the case, people post without really thinking it through or testing the solution themselves. I believe these are the same people who insist on using the "..gate" and "first world problems" phrases. Enough said.

----------

Thanks for these detail about the movie for those of us who haven't seen it. And why are you posting about that here? You could have restrained yourself.

----------

Completely inappropriate for this forum. All you did was invite some other person to discuss the plot. Does this forum have an ignore feature?

22. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Count me in for Avengers tonight as well. My plan is to put it on silent with the lowest brightness setting and see how it goes. I also plan on wearing a hoodie because my local theater typically keeps it kind of cool, so I imagine that I can just cover it with my sleeve if it becomes a problem. Additionally, I'm seeing it in IMAX 3D, so I suspect that my tiny little watch face is unlikely to distract anyone's field of view in a stadium seating IMAX auditorium.

23. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

Hmm, maybe a future update will have this.

24. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I went to the movies the day after I got mine. I put it on do not disturb and it didn't bother me. The screen did light up a few times when I moved my arms and also when I went to check the time. It wasn't distracting because it dims in bright rooms anyways and a movie theater is never completely dark because the picture on the screen makes it bright. The people I went with didn't say anything to me about it bothering them so I don't think it's that big of a deal.