Apple Watch battery drain with new FW 3.1.3????

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kwandrews, Feb 1, 2017.

1. kwandrews macrumors 6502

My gen I is basically worthless at this time. The day after the FW update the issue started. Pre-FW update, I could go all day and end with about 35% battery left (0700-2300 hours). Now? I put it on at 0700 and it's 100% dead no later than 1500. This is with being VERY careful to conserve battery by:

• Brightness to med/low
    • All sounds off
    • Only 2 complications on watch face (battery and weather)
    • Uninstalled all 3rd party apps except Skype for Business
    • Minimized all notifications except iMessage and Skype for Business (both of which I used before the update)
    My use hasn't changed. I peg this to the FW. Anyone else? Any suggestions? Worthless as a watch at this point, as I put it into battery save mode by 1300 (1pm)!!!! I've gone back to my automatic Swiss watch for now. ARRRRRGH!!!!!!!!

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would either try a re-pair with the iPhone and Apple Watch. Or restore the Apple Watch as a new device.

3. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I haven't noticed any change to the battery life with my 1st gen.

5. germ80 macrumors newbie

germ80

I'll have to try the same too to see if thay fixes this issue. I didn't notice today, but it looks like my watch died late afternoon which never ever happens to me either. I am very disapointed.

6. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Seems to me that every time there is an update to WatchOS there is a day where battery life is noticeably short but then it corrects. I think it is a buch of data synching in the background.

Had the same thing with my new S2. I can get 2 days out of this thing all the time but suddenly had a really short day. Now it is on again 100% charged. I'll see how tomorrow goes.

7. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the reset/re-pair, etc., just stock, nothing added to it, just setup as a new watch. It's been about 3 hours and I'm at 81%. We'll see how it goes. Before the FW, it was great for battery life, never worried about it at all.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Three hours at 81% still isn't very promising. Your numbers should be higher than that. (Pending heart rate sensor, etc .)

9. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

sitting at
    89% now for the past 2 hours....I'll post later today with the actual run time.

10. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

Hopefully I don't jinx myself but I don't have the same issue at all. I have a ss first gen watch and I can still get a full day and full night out of it.

11. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, it's been almost 15 hours and I'm at 39%. Back to normal.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Your welcome. Glad the re-pair worked.

13. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: since the last update when it appeared the battery was back to normal. It's back to horrible. A typical example is today. I put it on at 0700 and by 1330 (6.5 hours later), the battery remaining was only 43%! This is just stock, no new apps added. Only complications included battery and stock weather. I had only received 2 iMessage notifications during the day. No other use, than just as a watch this AM. Suggestions???? Again, it was GREAT prior to FW update and then it went downhill fast. I don't think it's an actual battery problem. Thoughts???

14. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I've been experiencing the same thing on my Series-Zero. I haven't repaired or restored it yet, but I've only noticed it since the last update. I put in on at 7:30 this morning and by 4pm today, I had 55% and hardly did a thing with it (two iMessages replays & I opened Dark Sky twice). I still have a few more months of AppleCare on it so worst comes to worst, I can probably get a new battery.

15. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I'm experiencing this drain as well on my SBSS S2 series. It was fine on 3.1.1 but not sure why all of the sudden it's horrible. Nothing has changed since 3.1.1 and settings hasn't changed either.

*3.1.1 installed fine on my S2 Series before Apple pulled it.

16. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Then it appears from other posts on here, that it's affecting the Apple Watch across the board. I don't have any negative battery results. But it seems to affect the first generation and second generation Apple Watch.

17. gjamesm42 macrumors newbie

gjamesm42

I am having the same problem and it is very frustrating. I re-paired the watch and that didn't help.

18. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

Argh. I have to go back to my old analog watch at this time until the next WatchOS update. I've had it on, nothing going on, for 7 hours and I'm at 18%. Can't use it just as a watch until the next update. It's been my daily watch since Nov 2015 and I've loved it until now!

19. cmbauer macrumors regular

cmbauer

I have had no battery issues whatsoever on my Series 2 with 3.1.3 sorry to those that are having issue. anyone try and start fresh and not restore from backup?

I am sitting at 48 percent left at 3:30 central and last charge was around 7am Yesterday

20. Birddog1 macrumors member

Birddog1

Same here. I've had mine on since 4:30 AM, so over 15 hours and I'm at 78%. Really did not expect it to be this good.

21. gjamesm42 macrumors newbie

gjamesm42

I've tried everything but starting from a fresh restore. I really don't want to lose fitness data.

22. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would contact Apple support, being you attempted a re-pair and set up as new device.

23. faythebest macrumors member

faythebest

I am having the same drainage issue with 3.2 beta. It is horrible. Erasing and setting up as a new device didn't help at all.

24. Lihp8270 macrumors regular

Erase network settings on the phone.

Then erase all settings.

You will have to put your settings back in on the phone. But this has fixed it twice for me, both times after a watchOS update

25. kwandrews thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried a complete reset of the watch, wipe and re-pair. I haven't tried to the network idea...I'll give that a shot. I have it on this morning. It's been 2 hours and I'm sitting at 71% left. Losing 29% is 2 hours is not good. Not a single notification yet, all tracking turned off, etc.