Apple Watch Bug Causing Restarts When Asking Siri About the Weather

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

There's a strange bug with the Apple Watch today that's causing resprings whenever Siri is questioned about the weather. Asking Siri something like "What's the temperature?" or "What's the weather?" or "Is it raining?" causes the Apple Watch to crash.

The issue has been documented in several threads on the MacRumors forums and on reddit, and we've also been able to replicate it on our own devices.

[​IMG]

Complaints about the problem appear to have started this morning, and the bug is confirmed to be affecting both LTE and GPS Apple Watch Series 3 models as well as older Apple Watch models running watchOS 4.1. Not all Apple Watch owners in all countries are affected, but it appears to be impacting users in the United States, Canada, and Europe.

It's not yet clear what's causing the issue, but the weather app itself is working fine, and restarting and resetting the watch don't appear to fix the problem. From MacRumors forum member SRLMJ23:
    Curiously, asking Siri about the weather tomorrow or next week doesn't cause a problem -- it's only questions about the current weather conditions that are resulting in errors. It's possible that this is an issue related to the upcoming time change, as one reddit user has discovered. Daylight Saving Time is set to end on Sunday, November 5 in many regions in the United States and Canada.
    Apple will likely have this fixed shortly (or it'll clear up after Sunday), but for now, it's best to avoid using the watch to ask questions about the weather in order to prevent sudden resprings.

(Thanks, Shawn!)

Article Link: Apple Watch Bug Causing Restarts When Asking Siri About the Weather

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

Weather Forecast: Better put on your…
    …reBoots

3. mistasopz macrumors regular

That's pretty terrible. Apple's own apps running on their hardware and ecosystem can't even give you the weather forecast without crashing.

4. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

This still doesn’t answer the question: what’s the weather today?

5. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

6. bogie66 macrumors member

bogie66

I wiped and reset up my watch because of this bug. Guess I'll just wait for an update now.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Must be in the U.K. . That is Siri giving the answer on how bad the weather is .

8. scrapesleon macrumors regular

scrapesleon

Like who talks to Siri damn boy get a girl or something

9. katbel macrumors member

katbel

Just tried it and my watch is restarting right now..It's snowing today , maybe it's a little too early for the watch too :eek:
    Canada, West Coast

10. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

11. JPLC macrumors 6502

Is it still ok to ask Siri to play November Rain?

12. applepuree macrumors 6502

applepuree

If its time change related, it shouldn't affect the EU, as we changed last weekend. Personally I have no issues. its a strange one.

13. Is66c macrumors newbie

Is66c

Funny tip, if you recently got a new iPhone X and want the icon to show up properly on your Apple Watch asking about the weather will refresh it so the icon is correct.

14. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Lol, thanks for this. My watch is now displaying the correct glyph.

15. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

funnily enough this was the first time in a long time i even bothered to use siri on my watch and what do i get? „ill give u a tap when i am ready“

- Siri - same bitch different season

it eventually worked here in Germany btw, but we turned our clocks back last week

16. oldmacs macrumors 68040

17. Buran macrumors 6502

Buran

It did it to me today while I was driving. "Just use your phone" isn't an option while driving.

At least it should be OK tomorrow.

18. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Read the article and the posts. Sitting an airport lounge and bored. Siri what’s the weather today. Yup restarted let’s start a drinking game about this.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    You could look out the window ;)

19. wwetech macrumors newbie

#Weatherga....... wait what am iDoing? Is it just me or is Apple failing to polish the bugs out before releasing products/updates? :confused:

No one likes “unbaked” Apple pie.. or do they?:eek:

20. vahdyx macrumors regular

vahdyx

21. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

Just tested out and now I’m waiting for my watch to reboot!

22. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I just tried this on my Series 3 LTE and had no issue.

23. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I’m in Arizona and when I ask for the local weather it’s fine. When I ask for the weather in Los Angeles, however, it crashes. Arizona doesn’t observe DST, but California does.

EDIT: when I ask about Northern California cities (Sacramento, San Francisco) it’s ok. When I ask about cities in SoCal, it crashes. Las Vegas is OK but New York City isn’t.

24. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

Great. Now we get another update that will take another hour or two to install on my Series 2. At least asking this question isn't something I normally do.

25. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

if you add the word "today" to the end it doesn't crash. weird.