Apple Watch Bug Causing Restarts When Asking Siri About the Weather

Captnp

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017

There's a strange bug with the Apple Watch today that's causing resprings whenever Siri is questioned about the weather. Asking Siri something like "What's the temperature?" or "What's the weather?" or "Is it raining?" causes the Apple Watch to crash.

The issue has been documented in several threads on the MacRumors forums and on reddit, and we've also been able to replicate it on our own devices.

Complaints about the problem appear to have started this morning, and the bug is confirmed to be affecting both LTE and GPS Apple Watch Series 3 models as well as older Apple Watch models running watchOS 4.1. Not all Apple Watch owners in all countries are affected, but it appears to be impacting users in the United States, Canada, and Europe.

It's not yet clear what's causing the issue, but the weather app itself is working fine, and restarting and resetting the watch don't appear to fix the problem. From MacRumors forum member SRLMJ23:Curiously, asking Siri about the weather tomorrow or next week doesn't cause a problem -- it's only questions about the current weather conditions that are resulting in errors. It's possible that this is an issue related to the upcoming time change, as one reddit user has discovered. Daylight Saving Time is set to end on Sunday, November 5 in many regions in the United States and Canada.Apple will likely have this fixed shortly (or it'll clear up after Sunday), but for now, it's best to avoid using the watch to ask questions about the weather in order to prevent sudden resprings.

(Thanks, Shawn!)

Article Link: Apple Watch Bug Causing Restarts When Asking Siri About the Weather
[doublepost=1509844640][/doublepost]ive noticed some my mac acts weird when i ask it about daylight savings time. my siri is set to a male british voice and if i ask "when does daylight savings time end in the US" it will it won't under stand and stops following me after the first word "when" then just gives back weird answers. every question around this topic makes it act glitchy.

BaccaBossMC

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
NC, USA
Tested on my 42mm Series 1 Sport, running 4.0, but my iPhone 6s Plus is running 11.2 dev beta. It crashed 3/3 times. I think it may be related to the connected iPhone, not the watchOS version. Confirmation from someone with the same setup minus 11.2?

Bogdan666

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017

There's a strange bug with the Apple Watch today that's causing resprings whenever Siri is questioned about the weather. Asking Siri something like "What's the temperature?" or "What's the weather?" or "Is it raining?" causes the Apple Watch to crash.

The issue has been documented in several threads on the MacRumors forums and on reddit, and we've also been able to replicate it on our own devices.

Complaints about the problem appear to have started this morning, and the bug is confirmed to be affecting both LTE and GPS Apple Watch Series 3 models as well as older Apple Watch models running watchOS 4.1. Not all Apple Watch owners in all countries are affected, but it appears to be impacting users in the United States, Canada, and Europe.

It's not yet clear what's causing the issue, but the weather app itself is working fine, and restarting and resetting the watch don't appear to fix the problem. From MacRumors forum member SRLMJ23:Curiously, asking Siri about the weather tomorrow or next week doesn't cause a problem -- it's only questions about the current weather conditions that are resulting in errors. It's possible that this is an issue related to the upcoming time change, as one reddit user has discovered. Daylight Saving Time is set to end on Sunday, November 5 in many regions in the United States and Canada.Apple will likely have this fixed shortly (or it'll clear up after Sunday), but for now, it's best to avoid using the watch to ask questions about the weather in order to prevent sudden resprings.

(Thanks, Shawn!)

Article Link: Apple Watch Bug Causing Restarts When Asking Siri About the Weather

(Thanks, Shawn!)

Just tried and it happened to me, I am in Toronto we are changing out=r clocks tonight. Will try again tomorrow.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Yep, just tried it...I have the weather complication on my watch face, so I'll just tap that!

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
So, we've fixed this UNIX bug on iOS devices time date set before 1977 and it crashed

I feel the Siri issue is sort like a repeat of that, but for Daylight savings.

TonyC17

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Do NOT try this. Just tried this on my Space Black Series 3 and now all of my texts from today are coming on my Watch one at a time. It’s driving me nuts!

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I never use my watch for weather because I hate the design of the results I get. I read this article, ask "Whats the weather" and bam. Reboot.

djcerla

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Asking Siri “com’è il tempo oggi” (how’s the weather today in Italian) correctly brings up the Weather screen on my AW Series 0.

Fixey

macrumors regular
May 16, 2017
This type of time bug has been going on for years threw the history of ios it is time Apple sort it out, one time users alarms failed to operate on iOS due to daylight saving time.