Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
No, it's a ugly device. If this was leaked before hand everyone would of said it was fake and ugly.

Flore

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Dubai
...the attention to detail on the straps and bracelets themselves is downright incredible, and when I mentioned above that nothing comes close in this price range, it is very visible when talking about straps.

This is a fair point I hadn't considered that much. Any reasonably good watch costs $200 - 300 or more. So if Apple built a "reasonably good watch" - which it seems they did based on the feedback on the material, straps and so on, then $349 (albeit "from") might appeal to many given that you get lots of other functions with it, whether you use all of them or not.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
just like it was with the iphone and the ipad, the first generation is just not quite there yet.

but that's okey. i can wait.

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Despite the naysayers this watch will probably sell like hotcakes. It's not perfect, a little bulky, but it looks to be an amazing achievement. Overall I think it looks pretty hot, customized as I would like it. There are so many options (48 for the case/size/band) that there is probably something for everyone here.

Look, people spend thousands of dollars for high end watches which have zero functionality compared to this watch (or other smartwatches). $349 isn't cheap but it's not a lot of money in the context of quality watches. Even the gold watch, if less that $1000, will represent value to many watch collectors, who spend thousands at a time for watches.

Something for everyone, from the average consumer, to athletes, to fashionistas, to collectors. Like a lot of Apple products, people often disapprove but once they see it in the wild or at an Apple Store, it seems awesome. I think that will happen here.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I will wait it out for a few generations. I don't see the point in carrying around two devices while running and this thing doesn't even have it's own GPS chip.

If the plastic one is already $349. I don't even want to see the price of the stainless steal and sapphire glass one

I have the exact same issue. PLUS. Take a look at this ad from the keynote... all these attractive people with their watches... but where in the world are they keeping the iPhone? especially the runners!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUE_M8A5yxnLfW0KghEeajjw&v=CPpMeRCG1WQ#t=108

No way am I gonna carry a 4.7 or 5.5 in my arm band just to have the watch on as well, feels redundant with the motion coprocessor.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
It'll be interesting to see how this sells beyond the early adopters.

Saying this as a iPhone, iPad and Mac user. With the iPhone I didn't get the initial version, but knew I would in the future, same with the iPad.

With the Apple Watch I don't have that feeling - nothing compelling to me. It's beautifully crafted and the software look nice, but my gut instinct says this is a "hobby" level product at this point - Apple certainly hasn't planned for it to be that level product of course. JMHO...

The Apple Watch will sell more than the iPad initially did.

It looks great, and people love it.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
seems like many people in tech forums are saying the moto360 blew it away design wise because it is round mostly, funny how it not being round doesn't seem to bother the fashion site people nearly as much.

jpiett

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
Canada
I honestly think they released this too early.. let Apple Pay grow first and then bring in the apple watch. "Paying easy, just got easier, now with your wrist." As it sits now, the apple watch is just like everything else out except with a "Crown" to navigate through your cluster of unnecessary apps..

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
No, it's a ugly device. If this was leaked before hand everyone would of said it was fake and ugly.

You do realize opinions on design are personal right?

We don't all drive the same car, the same color, and park it in the same house, while wearing the same clothes.

Hopefully they can offer up multiple designs to fit more people's taste in the future, however they will never please 100% of the population.

seems like many people in tech forums are saying the moto360 blew it away design wise because it is round mostly, funny how it not being round doesn't seem to bother the fashion site people nearly as much.
I am looking forward to playing with my friends review unit later this week, however one thing that bothers me about the 360 (at least currently) is that it has Square software within a round device. There really isn't much (besides the watch faces) that takes advantage of it's unique industrial design.

Still, the 360 looks like an awesome REV.1 device. I can't wait to see how it progresses in the future.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I still have to watch the keynote, so I did not know $349 only bought you a plastic watch.

That's no go from the start.

He's being very misleading. There is no plastic watch. You can get a plastic band, but there's leather and metal ones as well. And the $349 price point wasn't tied to any of those models specifically, nor were we told which bands would be included with which watches. We simply don't have enough data at this point to make the judgement that poster made.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
$349+? A good watch is supposed to last decades, this one won't be supported in a few years.

A very good point and one of the big reasons why the Apple Watch won't threaten the luxury watch market. And since it's an electronic piece requiring an iPhone, it's not meant to be a luxurious investment to be passed down from one generation to another.

The traditional luxury watches have that sense of value.

I'm not knocking the Apple Watch but think it's a nice product they're offering. I probably won't go for it right away and want to wait to see how it develops once it comes out.

But as an athletic fencer myself, it would be handy to monitor my physical activity and heart rate. Especially for health reasons and track my cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

The idea is having a high end smart watch that is customizable which is the intention here. I don't think Jony meant ill will towards the Swiss regarding them being in trouble and that it was probably a professional "rub" on them in a light manner. I'm sure he views the Swiss designers with high regard.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I still have to watch the keynote, so I did not know $349 only bought you a plastic watch.

That's no go from the start.

Maybe…
Which Apple watch is plastic?
Stainless steel case?
Aluminum case?
18k gold case?

I don't notice any made of plastic among that list, but maybe some other materials expert can chime in on that… :D

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I personally like the design. Though when seeing it on its own it look quite bulky, but seeing pictures or people wearing them, it looks great! I wish I had the opportunity to play with one soon though. Im estimating it will be six months before they will release it though. Why do they tease us so!

What really impressed me were the interchangeable bands! Honestly this is the part that worried me from the beginning. I feared some cheap rubber or leather straps. As they flowed through the six straps, I was getting worried because none fit my taste... When they showed that metal infinity strap, it was done. Threw my money at the tv. These cant make it here soon enough, nor can I wait to see what 3rd party band makers will bring also.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Translation: Taste is totally subjective. Those who like it will think it's immaculately designed, while those who don't like it will consider it fugly.

Personally, I think they hit a home run with the design, and future iterations can only get better.

I also think that the basic design is a home run! But the watch is too thick for my taste in its current iteration. In future iterations, the current design made thinner will be perfect.

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
There you go, actual "experts" in the field of fashion and the watch genre (not all of you armchair industrial designers, i.e. whiners at home) pretty much say that Apple made a "watch" that alone is constructed better than most "normal" watches in that price range ... except oh yea, it's a smart watch that does a ton of things too:)

Apple's attention to detail and their ability to create products that just look and feel good will make this product a huge winner. Everyone I have talked is very interested buying one, watch-wearers and first-timers.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
By summer of next year, a lot of wrists will be rockin' these like so.

_77488642_96ed5160-d089-424e-9bf9-21f221bb482f.jpg

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
$349 does get you the stainless steel and sapphire crystal model. There isn't a plastic Apple Watch.

Are you sure? The Apple Watch "Sports" has no sapphire glass and no stainless steel tho. that's probably where the "from" upwards is coming from

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.