Apple Watch Fulfills Promise of All-Day Battery Life in Early Reviews

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple lifted the embargo for large websites to publish their Apple Watch reviews this morning, providing us with detailed insight about various functions of the device. Battery life in particular has been one area of interest for several prospective Apple Watch buyers, and most early reviews found the Apple Watch to fulfill its promise of all-day battery life on a single charge.

Well-known tech journalist Joanna Stern of The Wall Street Journal offers one of the better looks at the Apple Watch's battery life in her video of using the device in day-to-day life. The video keeps track of how much battery life the Apple Watch uses while Stern goes about her daily routine in New York, with the device fully charged at 7:30 AM and having five percent remaining at just past midnight.

Apple confirmed last month that the Apple Watch will have up to 18 hours of battery life with mixed usage, and last up to 72 hours in Power Reserve mode. Early reviews find the Apple Watch generally on par with, or falling slightly short of, those numbers based on articles published by Daring Fireball, The Verge, The Wall Street Journal, Techpinions and Re/code. We've compiled those findings in the roundup below.

John Gruber, Daring Fireball:
    Nilay Patel, The Verge:
    Geoffrey Fowler, The Wall Street Journal:
    Ben Bajarin, Techpinions:
    Lauren Goode, Re/code:
    Apple Watch goes on sale April 24, with pre-orders and try-ons beginning April 10.

Article Link: Apple Watch Fulfills Promise of All-Day Battery Life in Early Reviews

2. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

Just finished watching the Verge review. In a nutshell....it's useless and nothing more than a toy.

Even fashion experts dismissed it and the most useful feature.....Apple Pay....which you have on your iPhone 6, so it's a $350 extension to this.

3. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

That's good to know the battery will live up to what apple has said. I'll be honest,it was one of my biggest concerns.

4. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

5. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Sweet. Put me down for 2 please. The wife and I can't wait!!!!!

6. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

"useless"

"toy"

the most informative of reviews. thank god so many countless numbers of people tell us this about our favorite devices and computers, or we might, y'know, continue loving them so much. :rolleyes:

7. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

8. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

That's good to hear

Hard to know what exactly these reviewers were doing all day with the watch. Also this is the first round of "selected" reviewers, so they are most likely Apple sycophants that were just happy to get their hands on the watch without any real attempt to give it a critical review.

I'll wait for more real-life reviews. I am sure the battery will be good, but I mean I can drain a iPad, iPhone battery quickly for no apparent reason, or it can last 2 days+, so there is no rhyme or reason to battery usage on an iDevice and its more about what crappy app you are running rather than a fault of the hardware or OS.

But battery is just one of the many things I want to know about the Apple watch, I'm more interested in its usability outside of the hyped up use cases, like exercise or notifications.

Will this be a platform with a million usable apps, or a platform of 4 good apps and a million half baked ideas that go nowhere.

9. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Too early to call it I’m afraid. They said the same about the phones. We need to know what happens in the real world where it does things like waste energy trying to connect to things, like a phone does when signal is low.

10. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

So much like an iPhone, this brand new device just scrapes through to the end of the day. Wait until you've been using it for a year ...

11. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

True......but it's better than all of them saying it go no where close to 10 hours.

12. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

i think it's almost safe to say these reports are above average usage. they're tasked with testing it, alongside the familiar feeling of having a new gadget so you want to use it 24/7. i always get crappy battery charges the first week or two of owning a new 'thing' cause i'm inclined to touch it whenever i can.

13. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Well, my fears of the watch seem to be confirmed. I was wondering if Apple could make a watch that would last all day for me, and this tells me "no". If these review units were hitting low battery by midnight, I couldn't make it all day on one. I have the iPhone 6 Plus, and can't make it all day without recharging it before I leave work at the end of the day. Yet reviewers somehow get a day + out of the same phone. So with my battery consumption of the 6 Plus, I'm assuming that the watch would be completely dead before I left work.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

No surprise. And clearly mileage will vary for everyone based on their usage/# of alerts/activity/etc

No different than Android Wear - but clearly all of these watches need more charging than the Pebble given the tech involved.

15. unibility macrumors 6502a

Apple, kindly please detail what's normal usage? Is it turning off... notification, brightness, bluetooth, etc... #

I sure need my 18 hours or just use a sundial.

16. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Great news. It's amazing how far technology has come. And this proves it. Put me down for two. Separate orders, mind. Obviously.

17. joelondon macrumors newbie

I love MacRumors... but it seemingly becoming more and more pro-Apple. Headlines like "Apple Watch Fulfills Promise of All-Day Battery Life in Early Reviews" and "Apple Watch Review Roundup: The 'World's Best Smartwatch" ... makes the site feel more like a 'fanboy community', not an impartial news source.

MR is still the best for Mac news, but I just fear things may start looking a bit 'bias', and I may go elsewhere.

18. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Actually this is a legitimate point.

My 18 month old iPhone 5C was replaced because I damaged it.

Previously, an 8 hour shift at work (in an area of low signal) would mean I had to charge my phone almost as soon as I got home at night. The new phone was on 70% at the end of today's shift.

I wonder what the Watch will be like after two years of uncharge/charge cycles?

19. Ventilatedbrain macrumors regular

I personally love my watches but can't wear this everyday. I kind of agree with the undertone of most reviews saying version 2 is the one to get.

Now Apple wish list please
    Fix notifications
    Make it a round face
    Make it have gps

That's all I want :)

It does look ssweet tho

20. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

All Apple devices start off with great battery life. Then after hundreds of re-chargings and 2-3 years of use, your battery life expectency slips.

I'd hate to spend big bucks on one of these and have crappy battery life after 1-2 years of daily use.

21. kapolani macrumors 6502

Probably won't buy the first iteration unless it really impresses me in person.

I am, however, looking forward to having this device because as a motorcycle rider having the ability to see notifications, etc while riding will be fantastic.

If they maps app is anything useful that would be awesome as well.

22. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

Let's not forget that the Apple Watch will most likely be charged DAILY, which may degrade battery performance in a shorter amount of time.

23. uid15 Suspended

uid15

Wait... there's ANOTHER Apple Watch thread already. I suppose moderator rules don't apply to moderators.

>__>

24. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

So she thought it was awkward to put her wrist up for apple pay but not awkward to wear a giant SLR camera on her head?

25. 0098386 Suspended

Good to hear it gets a day. Wake me up when it gets a few more.