Apple Watch + Golf?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by modernaccord, May 5, 2015.

1. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Has anyone golfed with Apple watch? I'm curious as to how it holds up to the impact force of a skull or chunked shot.

2. matt550 macrumors 6502

Ive hit range ball 2-3 times so far. No issue at all.

3. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

I'm excited to try this out whenever I get my watch... I'm guessing the Link Band is gonna feel a bit bulky while swinging so ordered a WSB to use on the course - both are still "Processing," of course...

4. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

First time yesterday. The watch is fine but you might do yourself a favor and turn off the notifications. The taptic feedback does not care if you are in your backswing, it announces that you have an email or other notification. Definitely threw me off a few times.

I'd like to find a good golf GPS app that supports Watch now though.

5. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Be interesting to see what type of swing analysis apps they release for the watch down the line, if the accelerometers and other sensors are up to it.

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I've played a few times since getting my SS with sport band. No problems

Hole19 is ok, but I haven't found one that is that great yet.

7. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I don't think there's nearly enough in the watch to understand swing path, etc. :) It would be nice though! It may have the ability to figure out speed if you programed in your arm length and an app used a measure of force to determine swing speed or something.

I'm more interested in a golf app that can be on my wrist and tell me distance to the pin, etc. Leaving my phone in the cart and just having this on my wrist would rock.

To the OP, if you're that worried about your shanks and skulls hurting your watch… you may be swinging a BIT too hard. :D:eek:

8. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

I think there's enough in there to get a detailed analysis of your swing.
    The problem though is that Apple hasn't opened APIs for those sensors.

9. dubv23 macrumors member

I love the watch during golf. I've been using golfshot with success. I have not tried any other gps apps though.

Now I need my sport band because golfing with the Milanese is tough. Doable... But tough.

10. ihatephish macrumors regular

Now that I finally have my watch, can't wait to try it out next week!

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Played a few rounds, used golfshot app which works well.

12. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

I golf on Wednesday's and I got my watch last Thursday lol

I got an email from Golf Shot about getting their Pro version for $19 instead of $29 so I bit and purchased. I'm hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow and I can get out with my watch.

13. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

Looking forward to hearing a review...

but in the meantime, what's your problem with Phish??!

14. dubv23 macrumors member

If you buy pro through the golfshot app they only charged $10. I got that email too and was baffled when the price in app was cheaper.

15. ihatephish macrumors regular

Nothing. Have been seeing them since 93. :)

Just thought it was a clever techy/musical name. Glad to see them happy and healthy since their return! It was a pretty dark scene after 96/97.

16. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I downloaded GolfShot. Which option do you purchase if all you really want is the GPS yardage function?

17. Dumbinho macrumors member

I use golf pad gps with my pebble watch (I don't have my apple watch yet) and I love it. They just updated to support Apple watch. Might wanna try it out. On the phone only is free I believe. I have their pro version. Which I like because is a one time fee. And is not that pricey. I don't know how much it is now. I paid over a year ago. And don't regret it.

18. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Any comments on how fast the GPS updates or how much battery it chews up?

I was using Swing by Swing a few years ago and it was a huge battery drain.

Bought iGolf about 2 years ago and it is much better with the battery but sometimes it just doesn't update to my current position fast enough. It will show my location where I was 2 min ago and I was wondering if the code limits it's use of updating GPS location to help battery life.

19. Dumbinho macrumors member

I used swing by swing a few times also. I don't like their maps. Is just way too much info. Way too cluttered. And plus the battery drain.
    Golf pad gps is simple. Very fast. I never had to wait for it to update. When I first got battery was just ok. I was able to go thru a round with my phone fully charged. Then they did an update it completely killed the battery. Could never finish a round. Then bunch of people complained. I sent them an email also. And BAM!! Another update. With 100% battery... When I'm done playing. I have about 85% left battery. I also have a range finder and I sometimes compare the two. App is always spot on. And very fast. And battery life is awesome! Well worth the money.
    So I use the range finder for pin accuracy. And app for mapping and looking for hazards etc.
    Now I don't know how it will act with the apple watch. But with pebble + app. I love it!!

20. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

Golfshot requires an annual payment ...it's not just a one time fee

21. ihatephish macrumors regular

Please report back once you get your apple watch!

22. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

lol, nice... yeah it got pretty scary for a while but they seem to be in peak form now. don't get me wrong, i'd love for a return to the funk era, or even some tasty '94 shreddage, but last year's Halloween show proved to me that they are still the greatest band alive and can go out on stage every night with no safety net!

23. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

24. Dumbinho macrumors member

That's why I got the golf pad gps. Is a one time fee. And is awesome

----------

Will do. Hopefully this weekend

----------

You're very welcome!

25. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I've downloaded and will give it a try. In the app though it does say that the upgrade to pemium is $9.99 per year. If it works well though it would be worth it.