Apple Watch + Golf?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by modernaccord, May 5, 2015.

1. QuiteSure macrumors 6502

QuiteSure

This thread needs a bit of updating since there have also been meaningful updates to Golfshot's Watch app.

The first Golfshot watch app wasn't bad, it just wasn't fast enough in updating yardages or in accepting scores. Then there was an update that, for my money, pretty much broke the app.

However, the most recent update to Golfshot and Golfshot plus are really great. I played three times last week on the Outer Banks at a course that had a built in gps on the cart. I also had the newest version of golfshot up on my Watch.

The app updated its yardage very quickly and was usually right in line with the cart's gps (cart measured to the pin; Golfshot measures to the center of the green).

Also, it appears that Golfshot fixed a bug that prevented the occasional score from being accepted by the system. As a result I think that the Golfshot app is a very useful tool and look forward to my next several rounds. I also expect it will improve once Watch 2.0 ships.

2. usarioclave macrumors 65816

Just picked up an arccos on eBay, and so far the iPhone app seems pretty good. I'll tighten up my milanese and see how the watch app works.

I've been using a golf buddy for yardage, and I'm not sure it'd be more convenient to look at my watch and read the distance or to push the button and listen to the golf buddy tell me the distance.

3. Mw0103 macrumors regular

I used Hole 19 for the first time yesterday. The course also had gps on the cart, which confirmed that Hole 19 is pretty accurate. I'm convinced that the AW is a must-have for golf. What a great experience. I also forgot to charge my iPhone the night before and so started the round with 55% battery remaining. I was floored when I checked at the 8th tee and it was only down to 46%. By the end of the round, I had 36% left in the 6 plus battery. Very easy on the battery life.

4. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

I've got the 42SS so I am not as worried about some sand and dirt getting onto the watch face as someone with Sport may be. Just be careful tapping or wiping the face clean with fine grains.

I thought about using the watch during a round but Skycaddie is my go to and I also use the Skycaddie iPhone app here and there.

Notice my profile pic. If you are a Browns fan that's Hanford Dixon and Ozzie Newsome whom I've had the pleasure of golfing with(even though they cheat :) )

5. theman510 macrumors 6502a

I purchased the Golfshot app for iPhone a few years ago. Am I correct in seeing that in order to get anything other than distance to center of green on my Apple Watch I need to purchase a separate subscription? All I could find was distance to center of green, not front or back or any hazards. So I also downloaded Hole19 which at least gives me front center and back distances.

Am I doing it wrong?

6. QuiteSure macrumors 6502

QuiteSure

I bought the subscription for Golfshot and am glad I did. There's a nice feature if you swipe to the screen on the left, where the app will show you your target based upon the yardage you assigned each club in the golfshot app on your iPhone (you may have to wait a bit for the screen to refresh from the prior hole). I found this very helpful in my last round where I was standing on the tee box and could look down on my watch and see where I should be aiming down the fairway.

7. icechunk macrumors newbie

I keep accidentally clicking the crown and activating Siri, when I swing. It also keeps taking screenshots when I play golf. I usually have to switch and wear the watch on my right wrist for that reason. Any way to prevent this from happening?

BTW, GolfShot is a little slow to dial in the yardage compared to the phone. Even when the phone is in my pocket. I believe there is a way to enter the number of putts when entering the score, because I accidentally was able to do that once. Not sure what the shortcut is though.

8. QuiteSure macrumors 6502

QuiteSure

I know, Golfshot isn't perfect and at this point isn't much more than a novelty, but when it does work properly it's great. I especially like the screen that shows where my landing area is based upon my shot yardage. But I don't think there's any way to track your putts just from the Watch, and I really like keeping my score on the Watch. I'm hoping that when WatchOS 2 comes out that Golfshot becomes much more usable.

9. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

IMHO, If you were hitting the crown at the top of your backswing you are probably cupping your wrist too much. That artificially opens the face of your club and you will need to close it during the downswing. Your wrist should stay flatter throughout the swing and that will help your shots become more consistent. :)

10. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I've played 18 several times and nothing happened, including a day when it was raining pretty hard outside

As far as apps are concerned, all the third party apps are useless at this point till watchOS 2 comes out

11. usarioclave macrumors 65816

After a few rounds with my watch and Arccos, I figured I'd update.

Initially, wearing the watch was strange, because I normally don't wear a watch when I golf. I'm using the milanese band. When it's nice and snug it's not noticeable, and I keep might up at the base of my hand.

The Arccos watch app is nice, in that it shows you distance to the green and /front/back. It takes a second or two to update. I used it more than my golf buddy, which used to be my go-to rangefinder.

When I golf I turn on outdoor walk as my activity, and when I raise my wrist the watch always seems to go back to that app...which is annoying, since I want to see my range.

12. theman510 macrumors 6502a

If you open the Arccos app back up after starting your outdoor walk activity, wouldn't that bring you back to the range screen every time you raise your wrist?

13. millerrh macrumors 6502

millerrh

I also activate Siri and take screenshots when I play with my glove. I think some gloves are going to be worse than others. The haptic engine distracting me was enough to make me stop playing with the watch. I know I do flip more than I should which is making this worse, but it's still distracting nonetheless. It sucks because all that walking around I do on the course also doesn't count toward my daily workout and calories now. I wish you could disable Siri...

Or maybe I should leave it on and let the taptic engine be my reminder to keep my left wrist flat :)

14. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

You can change the orientation of the watch so that it's still on your left wrist, but the crown is on the opposite side. It's somewhere in the Settings, IIRC.

15. hce_ macrumors newbie

hce_

of course, I wear my watch at the wrist bend during daily use, but for golf, slide it up your forearm a bit, get it out of the crease! gotta get that activity counted!

plus, as douglasf13 mentioned, I'm a fulltime convert to a left-bottom crown. great for easy thumb scrolling, and solid top right index finger leverage.

16. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

Good point about the position. I already wear all of my watches above the wrist bone and snug, but I can see it being a problem, if one wears the watch closer to the wrist.

17. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Anyone tried the new updates apps with success since WatchOS 2?

18. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

Not any of the apps that actually updated for it yet - still just using GolfLogix for the most part, which is not updated for OS 2 really, but works very well nonetheless. I did see Hole19 is updated but haven't used it on course yet (hurt my shoulder a month ago and am struggling with the inability to play in this beautiful fall weather - but still snuck in a round at Torrey Pines South last week, against my doctor's advice, and am paying for it still...)

Also, Apple was pushing a Ping app in the early WatchOS 2 promos - has that ever surfaced??

19. theman510 macrumors 6502a

I tried using Hole19 the other day. Most recent update. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get it to update distances without my phone screen being on. It wouldn't update unless I unlocked my phone. I never had this issue prior to updating to WatchOS 2.0. I'm on an iPhone 6S.

Anybody have any luck with getting it to work? I checked and don't think there's a setting I'm missing. I have background refresh turned on.