Apple Watch + Golf?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by modernaccord, May 5, 2015.

1. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Used it last week and LOVED it! the Golfshot app worked great and really helped in those in between marker shots.

2. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Two rounds in with Arccoss and my Apple Watch. Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you.

After pairing my clubs (one time thing and did it before I got to the course) I got to the course and started the round on the phone. The app on the watch was usually pretty quick to load distances, front, center and back of green. With Arccos you have a gps tip in the end of each club and Arccos keeps track of what club you are using, no having to hit "track shot" in the app or on the watch. You basically can just worry about golf and let Arccos do all the work tracking how far you hit each club. The only thing I have to get used to is playing with my phone on my ( played with it in my pocket the last two rounds and I have a 6+ so it feels different). The watch app kept up pretty well up until about 4 holes in and then the app got stuck on one hole (it shows the hole number on the top left of the app) but it kept the right distances for the holes I was playing, the phone app kept up nicely and everything was still tracked. I'd say for two holes it was like that then cleared itself up. My second round I had no issues with the app freezing on a certain hole number.

The app also keeps score on the watch, there is a gps tip on the putter as well that records your putts so after you use the putter and the gps moves on with you as you walk it adds your score.

I've attached a few pictures (I'm on my iPad and not sure if I can post multiple but will try) of the app on the phone, I alway forget to screenshot the watch.

Attached Files:

3. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Another picture

Attached Files:

4. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

One more

Attached Files:

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I would love to get the Arccos but would like to hear your impressions of the accuracy, especially with regards to tracking shots, putts, etc. and how it handles practice swings etc. I had my eye last fall on the similar Game Golf system which costs a little less and is supposedly really good but had some issues too, and you had to touch the club to a waist worn sensor for each shot. The Arccos system has had better reviews (and Apple Stores carry them as well). It is a bit more but at $399(well at Apple, $299 at Amazon) which is why I'm hesitant unless it really works. I have been using Mobitee on my iPhone the last couple years, but saving all those shots is a pain.

6. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

I find that the accuracy is pretty much dead on with the posted markers at my course, or at least within an acceptable range. You can take all the practice swings you want, it only records the last swing from that location (as long as you advance the ball lol). Putts are a little more tricky from what I've been able to tell so far, I've been struggling with chipping so near the green I tend to use my putter and sometimes I've noticed it assumes you made the green. As far as real putts you just need to make sure you approach for at least one second and it will record the smallest of hits.

7. MartyCan macrumors 68000

MartyCan

Played another round today. No real problems with Golf Pad today.

But also got an email back from Golf Pad because I did report the issues I'd had and they mentioned that a major uodate to the Watch app was in testing now to be released soon.

8. QuiteSure macrumors 6502

QuiteSure

Have played 3-4 rounds with Golfshot app now, and I think it's a keeper. A few observations:

• The watch app gets "stuck" now and then; going to the phone to make sure that Golfshot is the active app will solve the problem. Happens a few times per round, not a big deal.

• Using force touch on the gps screen (the leftmost of the 3 screens) will give you distances to hazards. Scrolling down with the digital crown will give you distances to all hazards, with the closest ones on the bottom. I just discovered this yesterday.

• There isn't too much lag between the phone and the watch, but sometimes there's a lag while the phone picks up the right signal from the satellite.

• Yes, a Bushnell range finder is better than the watch, but I think that's true of any gps tool, including a dedicated gps in the golf car.

• Once the watch keys in on the distance, I think accuracy is at an acceptable level.

My bottom line is that it's a great tool for golf, with fairly modest expectations. I bought a sport band for golf and exercise because I did find my ML move around a bit more than I liked. I think the sport band is great.

9. KojiH, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

KojiH macrumors 6502

I agree completely. I played a round with my 42 Milanese and had to re tighten the Watch with EVERY swing. Even short pitch shots.

And as you said even though it is a mesh the weave is so tight that it didn't breathe well and seemed to trap the heat and perspiration against the skin.

Plus with the recent member photo of the magnetic clasp separating from the mesh and how little contact area there is holding the pieces together I'm afraid to wear the Milanese during any vigorous activity.

10. KojiH macrumors 6502

I used Hole19 during my most recent round and compared it side by side with my Callaway uPro MX handheld. I found the yardages to be within 2-3 of one another so I was quite happy. I also have a laser rangefinder which was obviously the most accurate but I'm perfectly content with getting quick yardage readings from the Hole 19 app on my Watch. Besides my swing is usually not accurate to 2-3 yards for most clubs. LOL.

[​IMG]

As far as distance to hazards I would pull my phone out and use the targeting feature on the Hole 19 app to check those distances.

The only thing that I didn't like was I couldn't figure out how to get the Hole 19 app to automatically advance to the next hole. Each time I had to manually select the next hole.

11. QuiteSure macrumors 6502

QuiteSure

This is one of the things I like Golfshot: when you enter your score the hole automatically advances.

12. hce_ macrumors newbie

hce_

swipe to the right. you then get to enter your number of putts, and fairway stats, hallelujah! @golfshot are you listening? I'm not using you because of your limited data input. I know it's WWDC next week, but that should have been in there initially, for sure. let's go! ⛳️

13. KojiH macrumors 6502

Cool. I'll try that the next time I'm on the course. I wasn't using the shot tracking features the last time that I played.

14. hce_ macrumors newbie

hce_

and just to be clear, this is not using the "advanced" (individual) shot tracking... which I have yet to try. maybe I'll give it a swing this afternoon... getting harder and harder to sit in front of a screen on this sunny day. ☀️⛳️⌚️

15. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I know it's not a big deal to pull out your phone, but theoretically a camera on the watch would allow you to do this without pulling your phone out.

16. QuiteSure macrumors 6502

QuiteSure

Played golf yesterday with the husband of my wife's good friend. He had his Garmin gps watch and I had my Apple Watch running Golfshot app. We both got accurate yardage within a few seconds of checking, but I was also able to send and receive several texts with my wife and daughter (her birthday), check my steps and calories, see weather patterns and keep my score. My watch, unlike his Garmin, also gave me yardages to various hazards and targets. He was so impressed he's going to buy one for himself, his kids and his wife. First, however, he has to upgrade from his iPhone 4s because I told him that's not compatible with the Watch.

17. mffl04 macrumors member

Is there an app yet that does keeping score only?

18. genekend macrumors member

Ibacknine is keeps score only. I use hole19 and it works good for scoring..,it also has GPS but I think you can cut it off.

19. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

So I've now used GolfLogix for a couple of rounds, and am very impressed. The distances are all very quick to lock-in, and the battery usage on the phone is probably half of what it used to be (not lighting up the screen all round makes a huge impact). What has impressed me the most is that I can see distances to ALL of the features on the course: how far to front of fairway bunker, how far to CLEAR the bunker, and also how far to hit it for a 150/125/100 yard lay-up, which is fantastic information to have on-the-fly...

20. JB22 macrumors member

JB22

I've been using golfshot for the last couple rounds and I think its great. Probably 2x per round I have to make sure that the app on the phone is active, but its no real hassle. The only problem I've experienced is that when I take a full swing, usually with driver, I end up taking a screen shot, followed by the haptic response. Anyone else have this happen. I'd say it happens 15x/round.

21. diesel macrumors 6502a

I've been using golfshot on the iPhone for the past few years primarily to keep score and track stats, but not so much for range finding. For that I have an old garmin G5 and a leupold range finder. With that said when I have compared distances between golfshot on the iPhone to the garmin they are within the same range +/- a few yards. I generally don't like to play with a phone in my pocket or with a watch on.....but I did load up golfshot on my new apple watch and out of curiosity might try it out my next round.

22. shawvegas macrumors newbie

Upload a video of your golf swing for us. It could be that vs. the apple watch. ;)

23. Fafa2e macrumors newbie

I will be testing Golfshot on my Apple Watch this evening. I will report back with my experience.

24. dxerboy macrumors member

I used Hole19 and liked it. Was mainly interested in yardages and how the battery drain would be.

I can say yardages were impressively fast. At first glance, maybe a few seconds till you see it stabilize, and it was right on when I checked it, at yardage markers for instance. The watch gives "to the front, middle, and back of green" only, while the phone can be used to see the map and check distances to hazards and so on if needed. I used the phone once I think.

Clean, simple, intuitive interface. I found the golfshot interface very cluttered and not intuitive, on the phone at least. I never tried golfshot on the watch because there was no way to try the GPS functionality without paying through the nose.

Hole19 barely sipped my battery, both phone and watch. It prob used 20% for a full round, 4hrs or so. I suspect this would depend on the strength of your signal.

I didn't like how on the watch it wouldn't automatically advance to the next hole after entering your score. I'm sure that will be ironed out asap and I now see that a poster above has already figured that one out so maybe it is already good to go, just not intuitive.

All in all, I never used electronics while golfing but this was fun and useful. I can see a great benefit in automatically keeping track of scores and statistics. Very cool!

I was pleasantly surprised by this free app, especially after exploring the other options out there .

25. Fafa2e macrumors newbie

Ok! So I tried out Golfshot on the Apple watch yesterday and I was disappointed.

I really like the Golfshot iPhone app, but the Watch app needs some work.

I played with my iPhone in my left pocket and the Watch on my left wrist. I found that the watch kind of got in the way of my golf glove and it was a little uncomfortable, so I loosened the watch a little, but that made it too loose when I took my glove off. I ended up re-tightening the watch and just got used to the watch getting in the way of the glove.

Once I got used to the uncomfortable feeling of the Watch and my glove, I was able to focus on the Golfshot Watch application.

First, the good points. The Watch was easy to read in bright daylight. The App was not a heavy drain on the Watch or Phone battery. Yardages loaded relatively quickly, but did bounce around until the final yardage locked in. Yardages seemed fairly accurate.

Now for the areas that need improvement.

The main yardage screen only has the yardage to the center of the green.
    You need to Force Touch and then Tap a second button to get to hazard, sand trap, water carry, etc yardages. This should be modified to include all of these yardages on the main screen and use the Digital Crown to scroll through the different yardages, similar to the iPhone app.

When you swipe left to right it brings up the overhead view, but you can't move around on the map. This should be updated to allow the ability to move around the map by dragging your finger and to zoom in and out using the Digital Crown.

When you swipe right to left it brings up the scoring screen, which requires that you tap a + or - button to adjust your score. The Digital Crown would be a better input method for inputting your score by scrolling to, the appropriate score. Also, the watch app does not allow the input of statistics. I would like to be able to continue swiping right to left to input tee shot accuracy, number of putts, penalties, sand shots, etc.

In conclusion, I will try using the Watch again, but ultimately I think I will end up sticking with my iPhone Golfshot GPS app. I would like to continue wearing the watch during rounds to help meet my Move goals even if I don't use the watch Golfshot App.

(Note: I will send my suggestions to Golfshot in hopes that they will make some updates to the Watch app)