Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today officially launched the Apple Watch Hermès collection, which the two companies announced at the September 9 "Hey Siri" event. The collection includes three different strap options for customers -- Single Tour, Double Tour, and Cuff -- alongside a stainless steel Apple Watch casing. None of the new Hermès bands are available to purchase separately, however, and are only included in one of the collection's ten available models.

og_hermes-800x420.jpg

Hermès offers four different colored versions of the Double Tour band, including Bleu Jean and Etain gray, but only in 38 mm sizes. Those interested in the Single Tour can choose between three different colors, two of which come in both 38 mm and 42 mm, but one -- the red-tinted Capucine Leather band -- is only offered in 38 mm. Alternatively, the Cuff option is a bit more simplistic for buyers, due to its availability in one single color and size option: a Fauve Barenia Leather Band with a 42 mm casing size.

Anyone interested can expect to pay above the average price point for the Apple Watch's mid-tier stainless steel range: the Single Tour starts at $1,100, the Double Tour costs $1,250, and the Cuff comes in at the most expensive with a $1,500 price tag. No models in the collection will be made available online, but instead are set to be offered at select Apple Store and Hermès retail locations in North America, Europe, and Asia.

Article Link: Apple Watch Hermès Collection Debuts in Select Apple & Hermès Retail Stores

Reactions: appledefenceforce

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Great for those that want it, I just would like the watch face, but have zero interest in the band.

I still don't know why anyone would want a watch band that wraps around their wrist twice. For me, the quicker I can put on, or remove my watch the better, and the lighter / less impactful the overall device is, even better!

Comment

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Who is buying this? Sounds like Apple might be keeping the same size for the 2nd gen – otherwise this sounds like a waste of money. Where the heck are the refurbs? I was hoping to pick up one for $199/$249 - otherwise, I am not a buyer at current prices - maybe 2nd gen.

Reactions: AleXXXa
Comment

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
I get the double loop, it's something weird fashion people would wear, I don't however get the big cuff thing :\

Reactions: machpost
Comment

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
I would rather have apple make the Watch app bundled with in app purchases... and allow you to download user created watch faces for free.. like making a separate part of the app store for watch faces.. just like they do for ring tones.

I have the apple watch, its pretty cool, but they need to open up more to development of apple watch faces

Comment

Enraginangel

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
This is the problem when you marry geeks (predominantly male) with fashion. They don't understand the utility of the fashion world so they don't get why people would pay exorbitant prices for such a useless piece of leather when a piece of string would do just fine to tie their watch to their wrist.

In the case of Hermes, not only are you paying for the brand name, you are also paying for the genuine leather. Genuine 100% leather costs quite a bit. If you compare it to wood, it would be like getting 100% oak wood vs getting particle board.

Comment

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I would rather have apple make the Watch app bundled with in app purchases... and allow you to download user created watch faces for free.. like making a separate part of the app store for watch faces.. just like they do for ring tones.

I have the apple watch, its pretty cool, but they need to open up more to development of apple watch faces

Limitation of watch faces is quite a disappointment for myself as well. It reminds me of the early iOS releases that would not allow you to have a unique wallpaper, or your own ringtones.

The capability is there, and they could easily have a "watch face" app store if they felt they needed to control the UI and set rules. I can only expect they are holding that functionality for a future release, and will likely make it only available for higher end models of the Apple watch 2. Sadly I have a feeling that this current Apple watch will be the only release from which the internal hardware is the same in all 3 models.

Reactions: mwfire
Comment

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
This is the problem when you marry geeks (predominantly male) with fashion. They don't understand the utility of the fashion world so they don't get why people would pay exorbitant prices for such a useless piece of leather when a piece of string would do just fine to tie their watch to their wrist.

In the case of Hermes, not only are you paying for the brand name, you are also paying for the genuine leather. Genuine 100% leather costs quite a bit. If you compare it to wood, it would be like getting 100% oak wood vs getting particle board.

i totally understand why a Hermes Apple watch is needed but i think at some point, its going to get out of control..

apple should probably keep the number of watch faces the same.. and allow users to completely customize their band selection...

In the case of Hermes watch bands... keep that in the hermes store...so that the apple store doesnt start looking like a combination of other stores... that way SWATCH and Hermes, Tom Ford, and every one else can support the watch but not crowd the store... b/c im sure with more luxury products in the apple store, its going to crowd the displays and add a need for more security in the stores..

Comment

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'd wear the single tour black leather band. Well, I would if I didn't think that the Apple watch was ugly.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
How did Apple officially launch this today? I see no press release or other announcement from Apple.

Comment

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I still don't know why anyone would want a watch band that wraps around their wrist twice. For me, the quicker I can put on, or remove my watch the better, and the lighter / less impactful the overall device is, even better!
Because it says "hey look, I have a Hermès Apple Watch!"

Reactions: VanZan
Comment

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Limitation of watch faces is quite a disappointment for myself as well. It reminds me of the early iOS releases that would not allow you to have a unique wallpaper, or your own ringtones.

The capability is there, and they could easily have a "watch face" app store if they felt they needed to control the UI and set rules. I can only expect they are holding that functionality for a future release, and will likely make it only available for higher end models of the Apple watch 2. Sadly I have a feeling that this current Apple watch will be the only release from which the internal hardware is the same in all 3 models.

In typical apple fashion....their biggest concern is scalability and a how to construct the most successful platform to do it..... when they get the platform down.. it will really be an in demand device.

i really hope that apple doesnt separate future functionality at distinct models... apple has a winner on their hands but they need to focus on simplicity and advanced functionality..

if anything, apple should focus on removing one model... and allowing high end retailers to make the uber luxurious watch bezels... apple only needs a $299 model and a $450-499 model.... the 10k model, should be removed honestly

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

I think the issue here is that Apple hasn't yet ironed out what exactly they want to have be the rules for a watch face. Example: does a watch face need to display the time either digitally or as analog, or is a totally new style acceptable. IE, can I make a watch face where the only way you can discern the time by seeing the hue of the watch face (red is midnight and green is noon. Just gradually shifts hue throughout the day.) Does it need to be possible to tell time at all, or can I make a face for the watch which is completely devoid of the current time?

Further, how will the custom watch faces work with complications and time travel? What if Apple wants to add more features to the watch faces in the future?

Reactions: amirite
Comment

NMBob

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I get the double loop, it's something weird fashion people would wear, I don't however get the big cuff thing :\

Cuffs are also something weird fashion people wear, but they usually have sheepskin linings. And a chain. And a lock.

Comment

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
As a poor tech guy, I'd say this is not practical and I can do a lot more for $1500. Then again, if I have a few million to throw around, I'd still say this is not practical, but what the hell I'll buy one so I can wear it for a day then give it to my dog as chew toy. I suppose it's all relative...

Reactions: NMBob and happydude
Comment

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Since you mention particle board.

We need an IKEA Awøtch!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.