Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Apple watch is very plain, it'll go unnoticed easily.

I don't agree. First, a lot of people know what the Apple Watch is, and will be curious when they see one. Second, when the display wakes up, it will grab attention, particularly if you have selected one of the more colorful watch faces.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Some of the comments were centered around not being taken seriously with a $350 Sport watch instead of an expensive Omega or the like.. I would think that the Edition would allay such concerns... No?

I predict you would get a full spectrum of reactions. Some will be impressed. Some will think you spent way too much money on a smartwatch. And some will scoff at any smartwatch no matter the brand or material, because "only mechanical watches are worth investing in". But if your goal is to own a smartwatch plus convey wealth, I think it's a good choice.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Some of the comments were centered around not being taken seriously with a $350 Sport watch instead of an expensive Omega or the like.. I would think that the Edition would allay such concerns... No?

1, if someone isn't being taken seriously, I guarantee it ain't the watch.

2. I question the judgement of anyone who spends $10k on the Edition and thinks of it as more than a toy for someone with more money than sense. But there is a whole other thread for that.

kdarling

macrumors P6
tim cook is the ceo of the biggest company in the world and he wears an apple watch

Of course, Cook also dresses like a slob most of the time in public. Excuse me, I mean he "dresses down, Silicon Valley old guy style."

Moreover, he has no choice but to use an iPhone, so he doesn't have very much selection when it comes to decent compatible smartwatches. In fact, he'd get nailed if he wore anything but an Apple Watch.

:p
--

OP, I think an Apple Watch with the steel band would look fine. Extra points if you use adapters and put on a nice stitched leather band that no one else in the room is likely to have on their own Apple Watch.

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
SG Sport with Hoco band I got from Amazon. image.jpg

My collection
image.jpg

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I averaged far. far more weekly comments about any of my Swiss autos than I have about my SS SSLB Apple watch. People do not notice it unless you use it in an unusual way- example, used it to enter a rock concert Monday night using Wallet function. Door scanner operator said "I've never seen anyone do that with a watch before!"- but didn't mention Apple at all.

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
To everyone saying looks are unimportant or that if you're not being taken seriously, it's you and not the watch, get a grip.

It's the same reason you don't walk into an important business meeting in a t-shirt and basketball shorts, what you wear (and what you accessorize with) matters. Like OF COURSE it does!

That being said, Apple Watch is fine. Sports version I think only in black qualifies, silver looks a bit cheap.

Reactions: Glene

applicant

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
Hey everyone!

My job role requires me to often dress formally and I've been using automatic watches for the past 15 years. (Mont Blanc)

I have a 38mm SS BCB on order and I'm not still quite sure about wearing one of those in a formal attire, with a suit.

Anyone here who wears one? Thoughts? :)

OP Many business professionals today are [ and always have been] nerds. I think it's entirely appropriate to wear whatever you like on your wrist as long as you conduct yourself in a respectful manner. ie keep it on silent in social or business settings and don't be distracted by notifications while in conversation . I just bought a 42 mm sport [space grey] model and took my Rolex Explorer off for the first time in 35 years.

edit: BTW did you know that the first digital watches were LED? Yep, an entirely dark face until you pushed the "buttons" for Time/Day/Date and they illuminated the dark face with bright red digits. I thought of that the minute I put my AW on for the first time. Believe me when I tell you all the execs I knew at the time just HAD TO HAVE one!

Last edited:

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I predict you would get a full spectrum of reactions. Some will be impressed. Some will think you spent way too much money on a smartwatch. And some will scoff at any smartwatch no matter the brand or material, because "only mechanical watches are worth investing in". But if your goal is to own a smartwatch plus convey wealth, I think it's a good choice.
What I find interesting is the same people who I agree will think you spent too much money on a smart watch won't bat an eye if you spend a similar amount or more on a digital watch. There are digital watches for instance in the same price range with altimeters/barometers and not much more & actually do neither very reliably, have to be continually recalibrated, time is set manually, are not super accurate timepieces, grainy looking monochrome displays, are not classic like the automatic watch op refers to and have infinitely less functionality than an Apple Watch...

Reactions: haruhiko

applicant

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2015
From using the sun, to where we are today with "smart watches" the timepiece has continuously improved through the genius of mankind. It's common with change that there will be people who take the cautious approach and those that simply embrace the new by jumping in with both feet. Apple might make this particular watch, but the way I see it, our discussions aren't really about the AW but more about our adaptation to the new. Which is pretty cool I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.