Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmona

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
That's odd.
I had the Sports Watch and felt it was so light, I didn't even know when it fell off of my wrist.
I had to get the SS Watch because it held actual weight compared to the feather lightness of the Sports.
But there again everyone is different and what doesn't work for you might work for others.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
If you were not used to wearing a watch and immediately started wearing a 42mm SS with a link bracelet then maybe I would understand the weight being more than you're used to. But a 38mm Sport? I think you might just have weak arms.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hopefully you will get used to it soon. It would be missed if you decided not to keep it. It is nice hardware.

Oh I'm definitely keeping it! OP is the one who isn't sure they'll be keeping it or not. However, if the next gen watch is lighter, I'll be first in line to upgrade!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Oh I'm definitely keeping it! OP is the one who isn't sure they'll be keeping it or not. However, if the next gen watch is lighter, I'll be first in line to upgrade!

I would not be surprised if the AW2 is not only lighter but also thinner or offer more time on the battery between charges. They might even get the O2 sensor to wake up!

Penfold2711

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
i got the 42 ss with mil loop and its as light as a feather compared to my accurist watch i used to wear

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I can SORT OF relate to OP. I was using the Sport 42mm and it was actually great. Felt like nothing at all was on my wrist. Unbelievably light. Recently I've been trying the 42mm SS and it does feel a LOT heavier. In reality it's only 20 grams heavier but it's a noticeable difference and I don't know if I prefer the 42mm Sport even though the build quality on the steel is much nicer.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
I just received a Apple watch sport 38mm and sadly will have to return it simply because it's too heavy for even casual use of the watch. Anyone had this problem? Before anyone comes off I didn't try out the watch at a Apple store because where I live there aren't any.
Unless you are putting us on, you need to return the watch. If you really think it's heavy, you may have some muscular or neurologic medical condition and you will never be comfortable with the watch. What happens if you pick up a small rock and hold it in your outstretched hand?

Reactions: JaeMelo

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
You may have gotten better responses if you didn't use the word "extremely" and had some context in your original post. An elephant is extremely heavy, but not when you compare it to a cruise ship.

Being heavier than your fitness tracker is one thing, being "extremely" heavy is another.

What are we now? English teacher's y'all? It's a forum and it was a emotional/subjective description on a message forum, not my final essay on my english class...

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
If you keep wearing it, you will soon adapt to the extra weight.

Even a very much heavier watch soon becomes unnoticeable in everyday use.

I switched my old watch to my other wrist and was astonished at how heavy and unwieldy it felt. Put it back on the original wrist and it feels as if it isn't even there.

You might have hit it in the nail there. On my second day it doesn't feel register much on my wrist although I'm still undecided if i'll stick with it. The reason why I got one to try out is precisely for when I hit the gym/weights/cardio exercise during my week.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
You might have hit it in the nail there. On my second day it doesn't feel register much on my wrist although I'm still undecided if i'll stick with it. The reason why I got one to try out is precisely for when I hit the gym/weights/cardio exercise during my week.

Stick with it :)

You also happen to have bought the least costly model, so you have less reason than most to feel buyer's remorse based on price.

Remember to use the Workout app when exercising, for continuous heart rate monitoring along with the other features. :cool:

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Of course I have as other activity trackers. I still genuinely feel like it's extremely heavy on my wrist. I'll give it a couple of more days I guess. Could it be I have it too tight maybe?
Tightness and weight are two very different things...

Reactions: Arran

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
What are we now? English teacher's y'all? It's a forum and it was a emotional/subjective description on a message forum, not my final essay on my english class...
Words have meaning. You used the words and now you're telling people how they should interpret them? English class or not, you said "extremely heavy" so when people read that it was interpreted a certain way.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm going to repeat that it feels exhausting because you're holding up your arm more than normal, not because the weight of the watch.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
I have found the exact opposite. I had the SS Apple Watch with classic band and I found that to be a bit too heavy for my liking. I purchased the AW Sport and it's super light, IMO.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I just received a Apple watch sport 38mm and sadly will have to return it simply because it's too heavy for even casual use of the watch. Anyone had this problem? Before anyone comes off I didn't try out the watch at a Apple store because where I live there aren't any.

Surely you're having a laugh and can't be serious

ATS

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
North Carolina
I would imagine the OP must never wear a watch. I've been wearing watches most of my life and the Apple Watch is one of the lighter watches I've worn to date. Saying that the Apple Watch is extremely heavy borders on being ridiculous even as far as subjective interpretations go.

Joshoon

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Netherlands
I've been using a Neptune Pine (kickstarter project) for a while, which weights 96.2 grams.
I'm not a very trained persion , and I have small wrists, but I had no issue's with it.

Before that, I've had a Sony Smartwatch 2, and before that a regular stainless steel watch.

I've experienced the Apple Watch as very light too, like many others here.
Give it some time, you will get used to it.
When I got my first watch, it was also pretty heavy for me, but I got used to it, so don't worry :)

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I'm coming from the opposite end of the spectrum. I used to wear a fairly heavy watch, and there was something reassuring about feeling that weight on my wrist. The first few days I was wearing my 42 MM SS BSB I checked my wrist a few times just to make sure the watch hadn't fallen off.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

You seemed to be surprised by the responses you were getting. I was just offering a suggestion as to why you got those responses.

Let me know if you need help with your final essay or lifting your arm with that EXTREMELY heavy watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.