Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
The people who wanted an Apple watch bought it early.
The people unsure if they needed an Apple watch are probably waiting for the next model.

You can't expect a product to sell at the same rate for the year.

Reactions: StoneJack

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
As with smart phones and tablets, Apple will wile away their market leading position, allowing the competition to catch up by adding more user requested features, and gradually eating away at their marketshare. What happened to the proactive Apple of only a few years ago?

tjskywasher

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
Apple hasn't really Wowed anyone since Steve Jobs passing. It's obvious now that something is missing. Apple is slow to update Macs and when they do, it's barely incremental. Even their star product, the iPhone is now suffering declining sales for lack of innovation. And it seems it will continue to suffer as the iPhone 7 looks to be a minor update and not the radical redesign usually reserved for the non S models. Cook is a numbers man. Not an innovator like Steve. And now the numbers are declining. Apple needs a true visionary at its helm again.

Declining sales due to lack of innovation? Nope. Last year was an anomaly, the 6 and 6 Plus were so successful that this year was always going to see a decline in unit sales. If you compare Q2 2016 to a "normal year" of iPhone sales, i.e. iPhone 5S sales the year before, then you'll find that sales were actually up. I don't doubt that the same thing will happen again in the future, Apple will release an iPhone just as successful that the following year sales will be down by comparison. That's just the nature of the beast.

People also need to remember that true innovation takes time and that Apple can't release a breakthrough new product every 6 months. This train of thought was rife in the period leading up to the release of the Apple Watch. Apple is doomed they need to innovate, just because a new exciting product wasn't released every 5 minutes, seems people have slipped back into their impatient and short-sighted habits.

As for Mac updates being incremental, that's nothing new. You only really get big updates, i.e. design changes every several years, so stop expecting something like that every 6 months.

"I'm still using my original 1984 Macintosh because every Mac update since then has been boring, incremental and not compelling enough for me to upgrade!"

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
What Android Wear has going for it is it can run on many different style of watches. Not everyone wants a calculator-watch looking rectangle on their wrist, some may want a more traditional round watch, some may want a robust Casio-style watch, some may want to spend $50 while others may want a $1k watch made by a known watch company. Android Wear runs on all of them.

This is pretty much it. The same thing that keeps Windows on top.

Options. Folks like options.

Not that Apple needs to do anything. Apple really is just another option. Nothing wrong with losing market share to good competition.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
As with smart phones and tablets, Apple will wile away their market leading position, allowing the competition to catch up by adding more user requested features, and gradually eating away at their marketshare. What happened to the proactive Apple of only a few years ago?

Apples fanatical fan base will wane eventually. Despite the res screens the iPhone still outsells any other device. But, how long can they keep doing this as others get better.

Reactions: JackANSI

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Make it rounded.
Problem solved.

You're right, they need to follow the lead of the manufacturer with 1/4 their market share who entered said market 1-2 years before Apple. /s Round watches make for a terrible smartwatch UX. Apple Watch has no problems in the looks dept. whatsoever. Just wish they'd drop the friends button and further simplify the product. Still by far the best smartwatch currently available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skoal

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Honestly.. three people at work here had Apple watches.. all of them sold them a month or two later.

I refuse to wear a watch, but I carry my iPhone everywhere with me.

I don't know what the solution is, but smartwatches in general seem to have been a 'look at me' trend and slowly waning. There's no real killer reason to buy one, and for the price and battery life, very little incentive other than for bling.

Reactions: BruceEBonus

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
All those analysts amaze me. If they had analyzed it correctly, they should be filthy rich. Unfortunately they aren't, which is the reason why they are still selling their analysis. :p

Gawjuz

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
United Kingdom
I wouldn't say any smartwatch is doing it for me at the moment. They just lack that killer feature that thrusts a product from the niche market into the mainstream.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Apple doesn't care about market share. They care about profitability and roping consumers into their eco-system, which almost ensures long-term profitability (as long as they don't start selling products for a loss). Frankly, I can't imagine anyone at Apple saying in meetings, we need to be the biggest company in the world or have the highest market share on every item we produce.

The press and financial analysts try to make it an Apple against the everyone else scenario, which just is not how Apple has ever operated. If they make good products and offer good services, and customers like, buy and use them, then as long as they're selling things for a profit, the results will be great for Apple and their shareholders and we'll continue to get good products from them.
Sorry but sales equals market share...then leads to profits. The more sales.....the more market share. They go hand in hand. You need to have sales to gain market share and those two add to profits.

Increasing market share is one of the most important objectives of business. The main advantage of using market share as a measure of business performance is that it is less dependent upon macroenvironmental variables such as the state of the economy or changes intax policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_share

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Apple hasn't really Wowed anyone since Steve Jobs passing. It's obvious now that something is missing. Apple is slow to update Macs and when they do, it's barely incremental.

Big venue for WWDC. Let's see what Macs they introduce. If you don't think they've thinner MBPs, new Mac Pros and new 5K displays in the works you're out of your mind. Wouldn't surprise me if the EOL Mac mini however.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Start pricing from $249 and make it compatible with Android. Also longer battery life and GPS.
Android Wear eradicated.

Unless they double the battery life, which is unlikely, the battery life is already good enough. I've never had one run down from 5:30 AM when i wake up to 10 PM when i charge it on the nightstand. If you want to add GPS we'd better be happy with any battery life improvements being absorbed by that functionality (not to mention if they put cellular in it or allow a screen-always-on mode).

Reactions: bobob

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
iPhone sales are declining, now Apple Watch sales are declining so soon, and Mac Sales are steady if not slightly declining. I must say, Tim Cook is doing a fine job running Apple.

Of course the lovers will be blinded by more profits... Gee I wonder why there's more profits. Pretty easy to take someone else's ideas, keep changing the colors and sizes of the devices, and then find ways to nickel and dime your customers. If Tim wasn't doing the nickel and dime thing, the profits would be dropping like a rock. I guess people haven't figure out why they shouldn't pay for $100 for a glorified stylus and an extra $100 for a keyboard to go with their iPad.

jovada

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
I'm one of those "Others". I have a Moto360 and absolutely love it. Last for four or five days on one charge too.

Reactions: AleXXXa

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
Apple doesn't care about market share. They care about profitability and roping consumers into their eco-system, which almost ensures long-term profitability (as long as they don't start selling products for a loss). Frankly, I can't imagine anyone at Apple saying in meetings, we need to be the biggest company in the world or have the highest market share on every item we produce.

Sounds similar to a Planet Fitness business model, doesn't it?

Jax44

Contributor
Jul 24, 2010
Carmel, California
The key here is offer good products and services. I'm not saying their stuff is bad, but for the last few years I've had more crashes on phones, iPads and computers than ever before. This is the first time I'm considering going for a non-apple product, the Samsung Gear S2 classic. I would have never thought twice about it, but times have changed. I have a 2012 macbook pro which I would have upgraded in 2013 had they made better expansion/upgrade options for AFTER the purchase. I can see why Apple is starting to slip in all their products. Most of my friends who use Apple are professionals and feel the same way. They used to upgrad about every other year, some every year. Most of them are still with their Macbook Pro 2012 and some with their iPhone 5s's. Apple adding colors and other silly options that truly don't affect performance doesn't do much for me. Anyhow, my next purchase and possibly future ones that would have been Apple revenue is now not. I see this for lots of people now who have been die hard Apple fans for 20+ years. They aren't taking care of the professionals and not innovating with things that really help people. Unless they change, which they most likely won't under Cook and the others like Ivy who seemed more concerned about their own ego than innovations, they will go the way of Microsoft. I could be wrong cause even on a bad quarter they profited 10 billion. THat's more than I profited last quarter....

WTF does a plant have to do with anything?. Ivy, sheesh...

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas
I guess people haven't figure out how they shouldn't pay for $100 for a glorified stylus and an extra $100 for a keyboard to go with their iPad.

While I avoided the keyboard like the plague, I didn't have much choice on the stylus. The Pencil provides the best drawing experience I've ever had on a consumer device. It totally destroys the Samsung S-Pens I've had, and is better than the old Wacom tablet I had and the n-trig tech in the SP4. Yeah it is overpriced, but there is no alternative. It is a lot less painful paying the Apple Tax when you get something nice in return.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I think a large part of this was people have been waiting for Apple to release a watch. I mean it was rumored years before Samsung came out with one of the first Android smartwatches that Apple was in R&D to create a watch, and then years later Apple finally releases one, and it was dissapointing. In the meantime after several generations of watches from Samsung, they keep getting better. By the time Apple releases Apple Watch 2.0 Samsung will release another Gear watch which will be even better then the Gear S2.

Hopefully all this recent doom and gloom will finally light a match under Apple's ass again because I think they have stagnated for the last few years and whatever push Steve Jobs' left them with for future products for innovation has, I greatly believe, finally reached its peak. Apple has to strike out on their own now and develop a new generation of innovation and products that restore their brand and make people want them again. Apple Watch 1.0 failed, Apple Watch 2.0 should be completely re-envisioned and avoid what Steve Jobs might have wanted out of the product 6+ years ago.

Apple can't keep latching on to the past and simply tweak products that Steve Jobs originally blessed them with before he passed; it's time for Apple 4.0 to step up to the plate. If Apple doesn't come out with new exciting designs and innovation for ALL Their products, from Macs to iPads, iPhones to Watches, and even new categories that are not defined yet, I think we are seeing the next Blackberry.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I have a Gear S2 paired with my 6 Plus and it works great. (no hey Siri or responses to text, but I never used that with AW anyway)
The Apple Watch is just too clunky and awkward for me. The digital crown is great if you have small fingers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.