Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
This thing is gonna be a dud. It'll sell well initially for the diehard Apple fans than it will fizzle out. Its not Apple's fault, people just don't wear watches anymore as they used to, so I don't think Apple, Google, or Samsung are going to reverse that trend no matter what they try.

People don't wear watches anymore because they had no reason to. Now they do. What's so hard to understand about that.

People who can't see that are blind.

The watch does everything the phone does which means you don't have to take the phone out of the pocket unless you need to browse the web.

The watch is a useful tool point blank period.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
That's because in the business world at a large corporation, your looks and clothing DO MATTER. With the money they pay me, I can't be coming in looking like a hobo or a hipster. If I want to move up further up in the company, I have to look the part. Personally, I could care less of what others think when I'm not at work, however, when I'm at work, I'm not gonna throw out high paying advancement opportunities over my dressing. Its all about the Benjamins.

You've really got me very curious now. If it's not too intrusive, could you provide some broad occupational parameters. You already mentioned that you work for a car company, so...

Age 25-30, 30-35, ...?
Compensation: $50-100K, $100-150K, ... ?

Just trying to fit your comments to your profile. Nosy, I know.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
It's a fashion magazine. I would argue most watches are worn as fashionable accessories now.

I've always disliked the whole fashion industry which is engineered to decide what is in and what is last year.

I wonder how Apple will react when the fashion industry decides that the Apple Watch is no longer fashionable?

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
You've really got me very curious now. If it's not too intrusive, could you provide some broad occupational parameters. You already mentioned that you work for a car company, so...

Age 25-30, 30-35, ...?
Compensation: $50-100K, $100-150K, ... ?

Just trying to fit your comments to your profile. Nosy, I know.

Sorry dude, I don't discuss personal stuff on a public forum.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
NIKKG said:
That's because in the business world at a large corporation, your looks and clothing DO MATTER. With the money they pay me, I can't be coming in looking like a hobo or a hipster. If I want to move up further up in the company, I have to look the part. Personally, I could care less of what others think when I'm not at work, however, when I'm at work, I'm not gonna throw out high paying advancement opportunities over my dressing. Its all about the Benjamins.

Sorry dude, I don't discuss personal stuff on a public forum.

Uh, OK.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
And I know someone who works at Vogue and says the opposite... Which one of us is right?... Who knows... Anecdotes mean NOTHING.

Also, your 10K watch is not doing the same thing as this, and never will, so your argument is kind of non sequitur.

These people aren't even talking about the 10k watch, just the regular $350 watch.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Hmm, an AppleWatch will make you look like a hipster? Um, okay. :rolleyes: Maybe you should check out one of Apple's keynotes next time. They are all top execs of a multi-billion dollar company, which also happens to be the most valuable company worldwide. They represent their product while wearing a pair of jeans and sneakers.

Personally, I could care less of what others think when I'm not at work...

I certainly hope you meant, you couldn't care less. ;)

houstonche

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2015
But I thought that all Apple-haters think people buy Apple phones for the shiny Apple logo? This makes them fashion accessories.

Sure seems like a lot of ads DO show phones as fashion accessories as well:

Apparently you're right. Ironic that in your examples, the screen is off.

Misleading or not, the Apple watch will normally be a black rectangle on your wrist. An uninteresting fashion piece to what you are wearing. A fault of the battery tech available these days, and a shame.

It won't stop me from buying one, but it is a drawback.

houstonche

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2015
at least Rolex holds its value.

how much will that 17000 Apple watch in 5 years? Probably 1000? 2000? at max?

talk about the ultimate douchebag watch

For those that can truly afford the watch, it's purchase wouldn't be viewed as an investment in the first place.

Let me phrase it another way (granted I'm generalizing), if you are purchasing a watch, such as a rolex, and are concerned about it holding its resale value, you aren't as wealthy as you like to believe.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
My wife's getting the white band, because it's too hard to match the other colors with her outfits - which shows that there's going to be a massive accessory band market for the apple watch.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
He has no idea. He, like all of us are browsing a tech site. We don't know jack about fashion. At least some of us don't pretend to

god, i'm glad there are some people who understand this.

people harping on the apple watch:

Attachments

• dsc03907.JPG
    dsc03907.JPG
    494.7 KB · Views: 56

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
intended target of the apple watch:

Attachments

• white-color-themed-cool-home-office-design-inspirations-with-large-brown-wood-office-desk-that-h.jpg
    white-color-themed-cool-home-office-design-inspirations-with-large-brown-wood-office-desk-that-h.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 68

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
lemme try again with something i can relate to more..

harping on the apple watch (girlfriend of 3 years):

Attachments

• tumblr_liw7isAGNw1qdel5b.jpg
    tumblr_liw7isAGNw1qdel5b.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 68

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
intended target of the apple watch (wife of 8 years):

Attachments

• bebe-pham-fashion-model-actress-29.jpg
    bebe-pham-fashion-model-actress-29.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 92

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
The last time I wore a wristwatch was in the mid to late 80s. It popped off the band and transformed into a robot and car. Now that was a cool watch. Admittedly my college professors probably got tired of me posing my robot watch next to my notebook.

In the first Men in Black movie, the large oval display in MiB headquarters was running OS X. That would've made a cool watch also - in slightly smaller scale.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I have a strong suspicion this thing is going to have very tepid sales. It should've been marketed as a fitness/functionality device, not as a fashion one.

It will never pass as a high end fashion device because the face turns off when not in use, so all you have left is a bulky looking black square on your wrist. The only types of people who will think this watch is fashionable are the same types of people who still go outside wearing their fedoras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.