Apple Watch Nike+ Release

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by schneckc, Sep 18, 2016.

1. schneckc macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any idea of the Apple Watch Nike+ release date

2. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Apple says Late October, Best Buy says November 11th

3. yubcorp macrumors newbie

I was hoping to get mine before a trip to Tokyo on October 19th. Anyone venture a guess as to when exactly is considered "late October" ?

4. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I would give it a few weeks, seems some S2 orders are shipping earlier then expected. Hopefully the Nike + versions start shipping early as well. People will post when they start to get confirmation of shipping on then, till then it is just a guess.

5. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

6. Joell27 macrumors member

What's the difference between the Nike plus and Apple Watch 2 other than the two additional watch faces? Is the other clock faces (I.e. Mickey Mouse) available on the Nike plus?

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Ask Tim.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2016 ---
    Yes, all the other clock faces are included.

There are a few (three?) Nike-branded faces. These faces have one of their complication spots permanently assigned to the Nike+ Run app.

You can still use any other athletic tracking app you want.

The other difference is, of course, the perforated bands. These are unlikely to be sold as standalone bands, but you never know; the Hermes bands ended up being sold separately, too.

8. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I think the Nike+ bands will be sold separately eventually, but I don't believe Apple will sell them at the same price as their regular sport bands as I'm sure the Nike+ would eat into the sales of their regular ones. I suspect if Apple were to sell them separately, it would be $59.99.

9. tkao2025 macrumors regular

Anyone know if there might be a possibility that the 3 faces for Nike+ watch will become available as an app download? I'm in the Nike+ ecosystem, so excited about the watch, but don't want to wait till end of October. I don't really care about the band that much.

10. racingbull macrumors regular

racingbull

Yeah, good Point.
    The AWN+ might be launched at the (mid?) October event for the MBP, if there is any, with release/shipping in the following week so that Timmy has positive news to share during oct 27th conf call...
    A second scenario would be an announcement to ship during the earnings call on oct 27.

In the meantime apple needs to fix gps access to third party apps and Nike got to fix their bloody app. Nike is still messing around and truly seems clueless. In one month they added features, modified them, scrapped them again and messed with the user interface on iOS.

Can't wait for the watch though. :)

11. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I hope they are sold separately. I can't help thinking that the flat silver/white would look really nice with the Ceramic

12. gppittjk macrumors regular

It's far more likely that the bands will be available separately than the faces. For one, Apple does not currently have a public-facing means to add new faces to the watch's face gallery. Second, precedence (Hermes) shows that Apple has the face locked down so that it can enter into partnerships with other companies. Until that business model changes, I don't see Apple allowing any third party faces, much less ones that are available from Apple's partners.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    My guess is that all of the software fixes will happen around the wOS 3.1 release - this will open the GPS chip to third party developers, and Nike will release a major update to it's NRC app. My hope is that they release an update to their Training Club app at the same time that makes it watch-compatible. My guess is we see 3.1 in the middle of October and Nike+ watches start shipping 1-2 weeks later.

13. tkao2025 macrumors regular

14. Metz77 macrumors newbie

What do you mean "open the gps chip to third party developers"?

My understanding is that they already have access to this, just not yet updated their apps which is understandable given no pre-release working time

15. gppittjk macrumors regular

Oh that could be. I guess I'm just surprised that nobody, especially Nike (as they had to have prior knowledge), has updated their app just yet. I assumed it was still locked down.