Apple Watch now has a smaller screen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kevsta26, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

Looks like the Apple Watch's screen has gotten smaller from the new design video Apple posted yesterday.

[​IMG]

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, there is quite a large black bezel around the screen unfortunately.
    And as Apple uses renderings on their web site, not real photo's I guess it's easy to, kinda have mistakes slip thru that may make things look better than reality.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Well that's one way to make the battery last longer.

I was wondering why they reposted this video.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Personally I would ban companies from using rendered images on a web site that it trying to sell you a product.
    It's verging on the misleading, as with a render you can make it look totally perfect in every way, no marks in the surface finish, all joins are crisp, clean and even, utter perfection in every way.

Real life it not like that, close, but not perfect.

If you are displaying an item for sale to the general public, then, for me, I feel they should use real photo's of the real item.

I don't see why any customer should disagree with that as a rule that they should stick to.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yeah like all those Moto Almost 360 renders that had everyone drooling. ;)

6. macbook123 macrumors 68000

The Moto 360 renders where of accurate scales. Apple seems to have really ****ed up here.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So do you also want to ban Burger King, McDonald's, etc. from displaying perfectly assembled burgers and instead show the ones thrown together sloppily like in real life?

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually I eat my cereal in Elmer's glue just like on TV.:D

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, I agree with you.

Of course you, as anyone would, would expect it to be a lovely example of the unit you are wishing to advertise, set up nicely, on a nice stand, excellent lighting, Good angles and focus, and you pick the photo that looks the best for the image you are after.

But at it's root, you are taking a real photo of the real item you are asking people to give you their hard earned money for.

Making an item, and then getting someone on a computer to do a fake version, and showing the fake as the item the person is buying feels inherently wrong to me.

----------

Picking a beautifully presented and cooked specimen of the actual item, I know it showing something in it's very best light.

But as long as it IS a bun, and it IS a lettuce leaf.

If the whole burger, bun, salad was a 3D render I'd say the same.
    They are faking it.

10. iCarabma macrumors 6502

They are showing a product that is indevolpment. Things change. Look at the original iPhone announcement and how many things changed between then and the release. For example the version they Steve showed off in January of '07 had a plastic screen.

The only way this would be really effed up is if they hadn't corrected the publicity materials reasonably quickly.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They're showing the same render on the Moto 360 website.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sorry but you are wrong about the way food is presented for advertisements. It is every bit as fake or more so that what Apple is doing. Watch this video on just how a hamburger and fries are made-up for pics. (hint: it's not even cooked and you would NEVER eat it).

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Please note.

I'm saying how "I" think things should be advertised.

I don't like lies and misleading.

If I made a cake, with icing, of course I may bake 6 of them ice them all, and pick the best one, make a nice stand, light it nice, take a photo from the best and, load into photoshop, and adjust the brightness/contrast/sharpness to make it look it's best.

I think we would all accept that.

Making a 3D model of my cake, to me, would be lying.

14. iCarabma macrumors 6502

No, I'm sorry. I think we agree. I'm saying that it's no big whoop that Apple is changing the promos of a product indevolpment as it changes.

The Moto stuff was hilarious and wrong.

To be fair, Apple has picks of the iPhone 6 on their site that remove the camera bump. That is wrong as well.

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

My point was the Moto almost 360 renders look much better than the actual product on someone's wrist. Considering the product isn't for sale right now and Apple corrected their website I don't see what the issue is.

16. SHNXX macrumors 68000

interesting.

i'm okay with bezel being thick.
    this is not a phone.
    size of the display is not a major concern for me, as much as a watch that looks too large, making the wearer look foolish.

17. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

I thought there was going to be two sizes? A smaller sized one for Females?

18. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

19. bransoj macrumors 6502a

There are two sizes, 38mm and 42mm, but its not so much based on one for males and one for females but a case of one for those who want a smaller watch and those who want a bigger watch.

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

The original promo shots for :apple:Watch showed the bezel being smaller than what it really is. Apple updates the photos to be more accurate.

21. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Like the promo shot of the Almost 360 compared to real life:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also noticed how bulky the clasp is on the on the Almost 360 compared to :apple:Watch:

[​IMG]

22. macbook123 macrumors 68000

The issue is that they knew the size of the screen many months ago, and intentionally lied about it in the initial promo video to make the design seem more functional than it really is. It's an old trick they've done to a lesser extent with iPhones and Macs in the past (usually hiding the black border around the illuminated pixels but inside the physical bezel).

They lied. Accept it.

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

They fixed it. Plus the Watch isn't even on sale yet so it's not like someone was duped into buying it based on false advertising. The number of people accessing the Watch page on Apple's website is probably slim to none right now. And for those who are able to see it in the flesh there's no lying or hiding anything.

24. macbook123 macrumors 68000

You have a right to cling to that belief ;-)

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    My first thought is that now it's not as rectangular as before.

Maybe they're going to also offer a round version.

(Tim Cook seems to be on an "If others have something that sells, let's sell it too" kick.)