Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced it has launched a ResearchKit-based Apple Heart Study app, which uses the Apple Watch's heart rate sensor to collect data on irregular heart rhythms and notify users who may be experiencing atrial fibrillation.

apple-heart-study.jpg

As part of the study, if an irregular heart rhythm is identified, participants will receive a notification on their Apple Watch and iPhone, a free consultation with a study doctor and an electrocardiogram (ECG) patch for additional monitoring.
"Every week we receive incredible customer letters about how Apple Watch has affected their lives, including learning that they have AFib. These stories inspire us and we're determined to do more to help people understand their health," said Jeff Williams, Apple's COO. "Working alongside the medical community, not only can we inform people of certain health conditions, we also hope to advance discoveries in heart science."
To calculate heart rate and rhythm, the Apple Watch's sensor uses green LED lights flashing hundreds of times per second and light-sensitive photodiodes to detect the amount of blood flowing through the wrist.

Apple is partnering with Stanford University's School of Medicine to perform the research.
"Through the Apple Heart Study, Stanford Medicine faculty will explore how technology like Apple Watch's heart rate sensor can help usher in a new era of proactive health care central to our Precision Health approach," said Lloyd Minor, Dean of Stanford University School of Medicine. "We're excited to work with Apple on this breakthrough heart study."
While heart arrhythmias aren't always symptoms of a serious disease, atrial fibrillation is a leading cause of stroke, which can lead to death. Many people don't experience symptoms, so it often goes undiagnosed.

The Apple Heart Study is rolling out on the App Store in the United States today to customers who are 22 years or older and have an Apple Watch Series 1 or later. The app itself requires an iPhone running iOS 11 or later.

Apple says the study is not intended for people who already have atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter during the enrolment process.

This announcement follows news that AliveCor has received FDA approval to sell its medical-grade Kardia Band for Apple Watch, which can detect abnormal heart rhythm and atrial fibrillation, in the United States.

Article Link: Apple Watch Owners Can Participate in Apple Heart Study to Identify Irregular Heart Rhythms

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
My series 1 isn't very reliable when reporting heart rate, especially during workouts.
I don't know if it is an issue with my unit or if it's the way I wear it, maybe sometimes it is too loose, I don't know... I have the impression that is reporting random values sometimes. It is US only so I can't download the app...

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
Nice to see Apple moving forward in this area.....100% heart rate accuracy for HF patients still a bit down the road but when it comes close to reality I will buy the watch. Sticking to my Fitbit Charge HR for now.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
series 1 or newer. nice!! I guess the original Apple Watch - merely 2.5 yrs old by now is already considered obsolete at Apple HQ.

a) isn't the heart rate sensor between original apple watch and series 1 identical?
The S0 doesn’t have the dual-core process for constantly check your heart rate throughout the day.

This is really no different than the new heart rate features with watchOS 4.0.

texasstar1981

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
The S0 doesn’t have the dual-core process for constantly check your heart rate throughout the day.

This is really no different than the new heart rate features with watchOS 4.0.

isn't constantly checking the heart rate throughout the day draining the battery about as fast as the "work out" mode? = several hours of battery life but not all day battery life?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Glad Apple are doing this - you'd be surprised at how much of a hassle it was to do this kind of research before. In the 1990's, I assisted with a cardiovascular study trying to collect data from people as they went through their day. The data logger was the size of a paperback and there was quite complex system of wires, electrodes, and fluid filled tubes (for determining posture). Now all of this can be done be Apple Watch and other similar products. The data collected on those devices are too potentially valuable to be thrown away...

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Why only in the US?
The app connects study participants with consultations by doctors and also supplies ECG patches. I don't think that's something that easily translates internationally.
[doublepost=1512053758][/doublepost]
Lame if you have AFIB you aren't eligible. Would be nice to have notification that my heart is going haywire and not just spiking to 120 while I'm walking.
Baby steps. You cannot create a baseline of diagnosis and treatments by studying those afflicted with the actual conditions first.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
series 1 or newer. nice!! I guess the original Apple Watch - merely 2.5 yrs old by now is already considered obsolete at Apple HQ.

Nope, just received WatchOS 4.

a) isn't the heart rate sensor between original apple watch and series 1 identical?

Maybe. But is the battery and processor the same too?

A big lack of understanding of how things work.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007

As a series 0 and now series 3 owner, I can tell you that the heart rate accuracy on newer hardware is much better. I can only assume there are hardware and software improvements behind the scenes on each generation regardless of the actual sensors.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
isn't constantly checking the heart rate throughout the day draining the battery about as fast as the "work out" mode? = several hours of battery life but not all day battery life?
No because its not on 24/7, its just smart enough to only come on periodically while you are walking, and resting. The S0 would only come on while you were resting.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Weirdly, this is one of the "killer" apps that might make me get an Apple Watch.

Some family members were recently diagnosed with heart arrhythmias, so it's something that's been on my mind lately. It'll be interesting to see how accurate it is. If it's accurate enough, should it also be possible/advisable to call emergency services in the event of a serious cardiac event?

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
It's possible on the series 0, i think it's more Apple restricting features to encourage you to upgrade to a new Apple watch.

Series doesn't support resting HR, which is nothing more than a calculation.

You could always install this? they are doing research as well

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cardiogram-for-apple-watch/id1000017994?mt=8

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
ugh, no original AW support, bummer =(

makes me think about upgrading again, but i really dont want to go near a new watch until a form factor refresh. my guess is next year will be a big upgrade for the watch since the 3yrs its been out.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Super cool. The future of medicine. Large scale longitudinal studies conducted remotely. Correlate with age and region first. Later, associate with massive data lakes on everything like our fast food purchasing habits. I’m only slightly facetious about that last point.

Reactions: VulchR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.