Apple Watch Pricing

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mcfinch, Oct 2, 2014.

1. mcfinch macrumors member

Apple has said that the Apple watch will start at 349 but isn't that for the women's size. So wouldn't it be a good guess to say that the men's version will cost 449? That is 200 more than the 360. Just pondering.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That's also most likely for the Sport Edition, with glass display and aluminum case (not that there's anything inherently wrong with either).

I would be surprised if any stainless/sapphire model being near (from the wrong side) to $500, and that would not include the chain-mail style bracelet (don't remember what they call it - I like it, though, which always means it's expensive :) ).

3. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I don't think they will charge a $100 premium just for a few more millimeters (unlike the iphone 6 and 6 plus). The reason for the 2 sizes is simply what looks better on your arm.

I think pricing will be like this:

apple watch base 38mm: $349
    apple watch base 42mm: $379

apple watch sport 38mm: $399 (mild premium for lightweight materials)
    apple watch sport 38mm: $429 (mild premium for lightweight materials)

apple watch edition 38mm: starting at $499 and up depending on finish
    apple watch edition 42mm: starting at 529 and up depending on finish

just my 2 cents and guess.

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

There are no men's or women's versions.;)

Looks to be way off and wrong on series. There is NO Base and the Sport is the 'starter'. Here are more plausible starting price guesses.

Sport 38mm: $350
    Sport 42mm: $450

Watch 38mm: $500-$1000
    Watch 42mm: $600-$1100

Edition: 38mm: $1200-$5000
    Edition: 42mm: $1200-$5000

5. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

You think the standard (steel) 42mm one will start at $600? I won't even consider buying one at that price. don't want sport either.

Apple wants to sell millions of these. I think the price estimates are way too high.

6. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

No, I think John Gruber's starting price of $1000 is closer. Also depending on the band. My guess is $750 with a fluoroelastomer band and $900 with a Milanese loop type band.

EDIT: Also Apple will likely sell millions of them. Especially the Sport which will probably be the big seller.

7. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

I do also.

We have people HERE that talk about their expensive watch collection.
    We have Jony ive mixing with designers and models in Paris.

I've a feeling they are over estimating the people who buy high end watches.

Average joe in the street, who's been saving for the last x months to get his iPhone.

I can imagine when you are working and living in that environment, it can be very easy to lose touch with some aspects of reality.

We'll see.

Of course, Apple may want to keep it higher end and not as mass market as the phone due to production number limitations, so it may be their plan to keep it up higher.

----------

think you are way out of touch with reality here.

Apple watch is not worth it, it's a bit of tech junk that will be worthless in a few years.

Nothing classic or timeless about it.
    Circuit board with a small screen in a plain case trying to emulate a real watch.

8. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I can't see the different sizes costing more. That makes no sense for a watch as a watch is bought to fit the wrist.

 watch 38mm and  watch 42mm will both cost the same. It will be the one that fits that you buy. The cost difference if any in manufacturing will be built into the price just like a 30" pair of jeans costs the same as a 28" pair of the same style.

If apple were to build a price difference of say $£30-40 it would be stupid and just add confusion, regret etc etc

9. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Does the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus cost the same? How about the iPad mini and iPad Air? What about an MacBook Air 11" and 13"?

10. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I think they are different. A watch is a watch. It makes less sense to price then dearer or cheaper because of a smaller wrist. It just wouldn't work but hey its apple so hey ho :D

11. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Do they price dresses higher the fatter a women gets?

Wow skinny girl, low prices.

Personally I'd weigh people on airplanes and charge heavier people more.
    Hey it takes more fuel to lift YOU off the ground, so you pay a surcharge.
    You can't get any fairer than that :)

I would be surprised if Apple charged more, as it's fashion they are marketing this as, not a computer.

I suppose there could be say a small price difference, but they that COULD be deemed sexist.
    Male intended size priced higher than Female intended size.

It would make sense for them to split the difference and charge the same for both, it's just easier and avoids any issues at all.

12. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The 42mm requires a larger OLED display and larger battery to drive the larger display than the 38mm. Also the Watch and Edition require a larger sapphire crystal and more Stainless Steel or Gold for the 42mm.

So a watch is not just a watch. There are differences so the 42mm will almost certainly cost more than the 38mm.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a feeling that the two different sizes will be the same price. Otherwise you'll have (implicitly) forced men to pay a premium while giving a discount to women, and gender discrimination isn't something Apple's PR is going to want to deal with. Especially after #Bendghazi, iCloud, and iOS8 catastrophes.

14. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

They are unisex and nothing has ever been implied about sex specific. I'm a man will probably buy the 38mm.

15. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I would bet on the two sizes being the same price.
    This watch already has complicated pricing due to all the different straps vs bracelet vs. leather strap options and three different material cases... if you add the two sizes to that it's too complicated.

Apple has never really made it so complicated for the customers.

16. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Indeed, I don't think anyone disagree's with the logic and facts.

However, the price of an item in a shop has little to do with the manufacturing cost of an item.

The price set in the shop will be at the maximum point the seller feels his intended market will stand. It's as simple as that.

If Apple set a price they think will sell, after market surveys, and they don't sell, Apple will lower the price.

If the large watch costs 140 dollars to make and the smaller watch 120 dollars to make in bulk numbers, it's easier to just price them all at 350 dollars and keep it simple.

----------

Indeed, they are not inherently male and female targeted, but that will be the reality.

Most men will go for the larger model and most women will go for the smaller model.

There will be some crossover, but that's the way it will pan out on average I'm sure.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They're not marketing them as mens or ladies size so that's pretty much irrelevant and they can (and will probably) charge more for the larger size. From Apple.com:

18. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

No of course they are not.

They would never say large for men, small for women.
    and some men will prefer the small and some women will like the larger size.

That's what they are doing though.
    You can bet any money you like, inside Apple back when they were planning the watch size they spoke about the issue of a large watch on a woman's wrist and that's the reason we have two models.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

It's easiest to see on the Edition watches. The more feminine designs are 38mm, while the 42mm designs are more masculine.

20. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

The know full well they need to sell this to the women.

Men love gadgets, men also love REAL things.

Cars, steam engines, watches with gears springs, metal bits.
    Chunky willy waving, my watch is bigger than yours and weighs the same as a small planet, STEEL watch.

Women are not going to want that, sleek, elegant, refined, something they are not going to look a fool wearing at a party on in a meetings.

Even if this is a major fail for Apple, they may claw back long term sales for the female fashion side of things.

It makes sense to go two versions.
    In time it needs to get thinner for same reasons, but hey, this is just an early v1.

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm not saying that they're marketing them as male/female watches, but that the blogosphere will go ******* over the perceived gender discrimination. And for Apple, it's a small pricer to pay to be able to avoid that negative PR - especially when they've had so much of it lately.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then they'd hsve to offer same price for different amount of solid 18k gold in Edition models. Unlikely.

23. KPOM macrumors G5

Usually it's the other way around. Women's clothing typically costs more than men's clothing even though it is often simpler to manufacture. The pricing of the aluminum watches will probably be uniform. The stainless steel designs may be differentiated more by the bands than whether it is 38mm or 42mm. The Edition watches may have more price variation. There is only one Edition being sold in both 38mm and 42mm (the rose gold with the sport band).

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Or men with slender wrists (a number of male members here are getting the 38mm) or women who like to rock big ass watches. Apple comes out ahead that way.

25. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

I have a reasonably large wrist, yet I prefer smaller watches. (Not as small as are normally sold as "women's" watches though. And I do like wider wristbands - the same as the watch preferably; so the usual "women's" style of having a small watchface with a MUCH narrower band is not my style at all.)