Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watch PRODUCT(RED) Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop Bands Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple announced Apple Watch Series 6 in September, it also introduced new Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop bands in various colors, but the availability of PRODUCT(RED) variants of both bands was delayed until October.

Stock has now arrived, however, and Apple's PRODUCT(RED) Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop for Apple Watch can be ordered today from Apple's online store for $49 and $99, respectively, with shipping times for most sizes currently at 1-2 weeks.
The Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop are optimized for Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 4 or newer. Sizes one through nine work with 40mm cases, and sizes four through 12 work with 44mm cases.

Apple donates a portion of proceeds from every (PRODUCT)RED product that it sells to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, with Apple selling a wide range of (PRODUCT)RED products ranging from iPhone and iPad cases to Beats headphones and speakers. Through December 31, Apple is partnering with (RED) to redirect 100% of eligible proceeds from (PRODUCT)RED purchases to the Global Fund's COVID‑19 Response to help support health systems most threatened by the outbreak.

Article Link: Apple Watch PRODUCT(RED) Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop Bands Now Available

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CarolG and kazmac

alexdc

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2015
When I eventually get an Apple Watch Series 6 soon I'm going to buy an aftermarket band anyways, so I was considering buying the RED band just so I get a warm fuzzy feeling that at least a small portion will go towards ONE. I'm not gonna wear it though. Not my color lol

Northern Man

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
There have been reports of these loops fraying or pilling. Let’s hope the colour doesn’t start bleeding when they get wet. I am not confident that the Bangladeshi youngsters who were paid mere pennies to make these knew how to seal in the dye.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
They are 100 bucks....

Yeah. Love Apple but only Apple could make a $5 dollar watch band and sell it for $99. Then give it a snazzy name so people will eat it up - "Braided Solo Loop". Lol

Let's not forget a simple watch band has also been turned in to a "measure your wrist" and we now have "10 different size" per style, per color. So much for environmental consciousness eh?

No.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I can order a Solo Braided Red and get it in October but the Blue I ordered 2 weeks ago isn’t coming till November or December. WTH?!?

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
way too expensive
The pricing for the red is the same as all the other colors they previously released at the Apple Watch launch earlier.

There are an endless amount of third party bands at rock bottom prices for people who do not want to spend a lot on a band. There are however, also a lot of people who are willing to spend more for extra style, functionality, coloring, reliability, or some combo, etc. So Apple is meeting their needs than focusing on a market already covered heavily by third parties. For many 99 for a watch band would seem insane, for others they will get not only one, but one in multiple colors, and prefer that it costs a little more so that while it is mass produced, its not something they will see on every other person's wrist. With Apple's Watches in most cases the functionality is the same whether you get one for entry level pricing or get top of the line, and rather you are paying for the different material/styling, so the premium price makes sense. And 99 is for braided, they have one for half the price as well, but you pay a premium for the different fabric and look. That being said, I'm sure we will continue to see this thread filled with people who feel the need to let us know they will not be buying it and can't imagine why someone else would, possibly in hopes that if enough people do Apple will lower the price. Apple doesn't care presumably what commentors or trolls say about the pricing, rather they can simply see how many they sell, and if they sell much less than expected then they can decide not to sell it at all, or lower the price next time. But since these all simply sell out quickly and shipping times get pushed back months, I don't think they are seeing an issue with low demand at the current pricing.

Ds6778

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2016
I always find it funny how people berate Apple over their band prices. Sure you are paying a small premium, but they are leagues better from a fit & finish perspective. If you genuinely think that your Amazon pack of ten for $5 is “just as good” than I have a bridge to sell you. Every AppleWatch band I have from Apple is just as good as day one and fit like a glove. I did try the Amazon route once and thought, silicone is silicone, paid around 20 bucks for it. I went to take it off and the lug snapped off and I dropped my watch and had to use my AppleCare to get a replacement. I feel like its the same people who will buy a 1200 iPhone and get a $3 brick from Sunoco.

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Can't justify paying $100 for a band that costs the same as the leather link.
I got the leather link and a braided brand, and returned the leather link. I have a smaller wrist, so was always jealous of the leather link which was only for the larger models. But when it finally arrived, was personally not a fan. I think its the pills styling vs being flat that just makes it look and feel odd vs a traditional flat or leather textured band, and the brown color was too light. Most importantly though while it would seem it should be easy to get on, requires some work vs the previous velcro and the new contious models which can get on without having to lean the watch against my knee. Minor, but the continous version is just so simple to get on an off. That being said, there is no dark or light brown braided version, and the are much more casual with their colorings than I'd like. In general definetly not a fan of apple's direction for watch bands as of late that are mixed colors, and overly flashy, but guess that sells. Hopefully they will offer more classic colors again eventually. Though black, and this red (to an extent) in my opinion work well.

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I can order a Solo Braided Red and get it in October but the Blue I ordered 2 weeks ago isn’t coming till November or December. WTH?!?
Probably because when the others came out, everyone knew they were coming out and bought tons along with their new apple watches. Where is the red bands coming out today was a surprise, and people are buying iphones today in general and not apple watches, and thus not bands. As the day goes on more people will discover its available and imagine you will see the same shipping issues, albeit not as bad, since most people who got a watch settled on a color that was available. Though I see some of the 44m red braided already show a shipping time now of December depending on size.

gregohb

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Why don't they just offer a rainbow band if they want to promote gay rights, and then those users can demonstrate their position every time they go out with the watch on. I don't understand what red is going to say to the average guy on the street.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
When I eventually get an Apple Watch Series 6 soon I'm going to buy an aftermarket band anyways, so I was considering buying the RED band just so I get a warm fuzzy feeling that at least a small portion will go towards ONE. I'm not gonna wear it though. Not my color lol
Great idea! Buy expensive bling that you don't want so that (after everyone has taken their profits) a tiny fraction of the price will go towards fighting poverty! Warm fuzzy logic!

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
When your watch bands have financing option you know it’s too expensive.
Most of their products can even much cheaper products, so it's more than they are making their products accessible to more people without the burden of interest and getting cash back so ultimately paying less than if they bought out right. But yes, offering that does make it easier for people to potentially over extend themselves especially if they come into financial trouble later on. But people have always been able to use credit cards so that concern always existed except they usually also had to pay interest and not as much cash back, so would seem to be a win.

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
There have been reports of these loops fraying or pilling. Let’s hope the colour doesn’t start bleeding when they get wet. I am not confident that the Bangladeshi youngsters who were paid mere pennies to make these knew how to seal in the dye.
I don't have red yet obviously but have another color and wear in the shower ever morning, and no color bleeding on this (or any of their past bands such as the velcro one), so highly doubt that will be a concern. With any fabric fraying is a concern. I've had mine since day one and no issues yet, looks like new, but if a person swims with it every day, or other use cases, I'm sure more likely to happy than others, but no wide spread issue that I've heard about just as always some cases here and there online. Fingers crossed the new material does continue to hold out well, certainly feels more comfortable than the regular continous loop band which I like but not as comfortable and that one is slightly too tight for me even though same size.

• Love
Reactions: CarolG and Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.