Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watch PRODUCT(RED) Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop Bands Now Available

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
For anyone buying a braided loop know that it will pill and the side of the band that rubs up against clothing will start to look a little frayed.

View attachment 967403
Just to clarify, that happened to you, so know that it 'may/can' happen but not that it will, since I, and presumably most it does not since when googling not seeing any widespread issue of that. Anytime there is a widespread issue even if small, it becomes headlines. But yeah, definetly something to consider when getting a fabric, like when getting metal that it may scratch depending on use.

Reactions: the future
Comment

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
It's very nice, but the potential for pilling is a no go here.

Very picky in regard to the red colors Apple uses on their tech. Love the Product (RED) SE2, but am not taken with the Watch S6.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Probably because when the others came out, everyone knew they were coming out and bought tons along with their new apple watches. Where is the red bands coming out today was a surprise, and people are buying iphones today in general and not apple watches, and thus not bands. As the day goes on more people will discover its available and imagine you will see the same shipping issues, albeit not as bad, since most people who got a watch settled on a color that was available. Though I see some of the 44m red braided already show a shipping time now of December depending on size.
funny thing is you can go into an Apple Store and depending on which braided loop and size you might be looking for, they have had stock of all the colors except for red. But you can't see that stock online and pick a store to reserve for pickup. So you just have to stop in to a store and hope that you get lucky.

Comment

neuropsychguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
When your watch bands have financing option you know it’s too expensive.
I don't mind the price on this. Apple's gross product margins are in the range of 33%. If people want to buy this band with ??% margins (most likely higher than 33%), it keeps Apple's total product margins higher. This allows Apple to keep consumer costs down for other products with tighter margins (like new iPhones or Macs or Apple Watches).

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Just to clarify, that happened to you, so know that it 'may/can' happen but not that it will, since I, and presumably most it does not since when googling not seeing any widespread issue of that. Anytime there is a widespread issue even if small, it becomes headlines. But yeah, definetly something to consider when getting a fabric, like when getting metal that it may scratch depending on use.
You‘re right. I changed my original post to say ‘may’ instead of ‘will’.

Comment

pers0n

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2014
Great idea! Buy expensive bling that you don't want so that (after everyone has taken their profits) a tiny fraction of the price will go towards fighting poverty! Warm fuzzy logic!

I bet Apple claims it on taxes anyway, so its no loss to them and actually a win. Then with the administrative fees and such of many non-profits, even less really gets used. Better off just donating to the Salvation Army, they actually pay their CEO very little compared to other non-profits.

Comment

Chevysales

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019
been waiting for this as I love my solo's in size 10 fits perfect thanks to inshore double checking. I rotate the colors and have green and black in these already.

Reactions: CarolG
Comment

Maconplasma

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2020
I want to believe you but iPhone cases tell a different story.
Well there's nothing wrong with 3rd party accessories but going from $100 to a $12.00 watch band is going to drop in quality perhaps more than some may think.

Comment

athousandbands

macrumors 68020
Jun 5, 2019
CA
There have been reports of these loops fraying or pilling. Let’s hope the colour doesn’t start bleeding when they get wet. I am not confident that the Bangladeshi youngsters who were paid mere pennies to make these knew how to seal in the dye.
New drinking game?
EE70855D-F040-41A3-8F33-97DBE2CA3B9E.jpeg

Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Why don't they just offer a rainbow band if they want to promote gay rights, and then those users can demonstrate their position every time they go out with the watch on. I don't understand what red is going to say to the average guy on the street.
Well, other than it is being product RED, it's also a red color. Some people like red color.

And I'm sure a rainbow version is coming. It probably will have to coincide with some pride day or something. Gotta match up the marketing to maximize the moolah.

Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
I wished they made one in a medium gray or even a light gray. The charcoal one is a little bit too dark for my taste.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Apple should sell the watch without the band. This way, I can get the exact watch configuration that I want without waiting for specific combo to become available.

Reactions: nycgeo
Comment

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
Run a lighter over it quickly and the "fuzz" will vanish and seal the threads from further fraying.
By the way Im not saying this in any way "OK" for users to have to do to a $100 watch band that is less than 2 months old. But its what I would do. Apple should have expected this in their durability testing and just sold it for $50 so there wouldnt be a huge uproar. I suspect they will just replace bands with little argument, as they undoubtedly cut Apple $5 or so to make, per band. Even if the average user went through 10 bands they would still make $40 per band.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.