Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watch PRODUCT(RED) Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop Bands Now Available

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
I don't mind the price on this. Apple's gross product margins are in the range of 33%. If people want to buy this band with ??% margins (most likely higher than 33%), it keeps Apple's total product margins higher. This allows Apple to keep consumer costs down for other products with tighter margins (like new iPhones or Macs or Apple Watches).
Are you sure about that? How much did they discount iPhone 12 after removing earphones and charger from the packaging?

Comment

Northern Man

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
I don't mind the price on this. Apple's gross product margins are in the range of 33%. If people want to buy this band with ??% margins (most likely higher than 33%), it keeps Apple's total product margins higher. This allows Apple to keep consumer costs down for other products with tighter margins (like new iPhones or Macs or Apple Watches).
Sure, if you think so:oops:

Comment

hybrid_x

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
Yeah. Love Apple but only Apple could make a $5 dollar watch band and sell it for $99. Then give it a snazzy name so people will eat it up - "Braided Solo Loop". Lol

Let's not forget a simple watch band has also been turned in to a "measure your wrist" and we now have "10 different size" per style, per color. So much for environmental consciousness eh?

No.
I guarantee that within a few weeks, bands will be going out the back door of the factory that makes these, and they'll be available on Amazon for a much more reasonable $40.

Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
I guarantee that within a few weeks, bands will be going out the back door of the factory that makes these, and they'll be available on Amazon for a much more reasonable $40.
Probably more like $19.99 but will they fray? Will the colors run? Will they stretch out? To be determined.

Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Oh come on, you don't seriously think it costs Apple $66 to make and other costs for this thing?! This is a 95% margin item, or I'm a monkey's uncle.

Comment

ani4ani

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
UK

The gross margin on this is more likely to be 90%+. Given the average Bangladesh worker earns around $10 a day, he would be taking several days hand crafting these otherwise.

Comment

BF1M

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2018
I have the green one to be fair. Great band at 50 bucks. Ok at 100.

Comment

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Why don't they just offer a rainbow band if they want to promote gay rights, and then those users can demonstrate their position every time they go out with the watch on. I don't understand what red is going to say to the average guy on the street.
This band isn’t for promoting LGBT. Being Product Red, some money goes to support HIV causes but it’s not exclusively for the LGBT community, and the Product Reds fairly discrete (branding wise) and doesn’t necessarily look to scream to those around you that you may or may not be concerned about HIV issues. Many will pick it just for the colour, but at least the charity gets a cut.

They sell a rainbow ‘Pride’ Sports strap or Sports band for that cause, and one of those sits alongside a product Red band. Two different causes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CarolG and DrewInAZ
Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hmm, should I by a HomePod Mini or 4-inches of braided yarn?
Ultimately depends on your priorities.

If you intend to use the Apple Watch for sleep tracking and want an ultra-comfortable option that can be worn all day and is extremely easy to take off and put on, the loop band represents an optimised solution for this very purpose.

As with so many Apple products, they may cost more upfront, but pay for themselves in the form of fewer problems overall.

Don’t compare it to another similarly priced alternative. Think about what your needs are. I feel $99 isn’t that unreasonable for the thinking and design that went into making it possible.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.