Apple Watch Received Estimated 1 Million Pre-Orders in U.S. on April 10

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 12, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Watch received an estimated 957,000 pre-orders in the United States on April 10, the day the wrist-worn device became available for purchase, according to Slice Intelligence (via Quartz). The digital commerce tracking firm claims that nearly two-thirds (62%) of customers purchased the Apple Watch Sport, with the 42mm Space Gray case being the most popular model sold on the first day.

[​IMG]
    Slice Intelligence's sales projection is based on e-receipt data from 9,080 online shoppers that opted-in to have their inboxes tracked for email receipts. The report finds that 71% of Apple Watch pre-orders on April 10 were for the larger 42mm case, with 32% of aluminum Sport customers purchasing the smaller 38mm version compared to 24% of stainless steel Apple Watch buyers.
    The report adds that 40% of pre-orders were for the Apple Watch Sport with space gray aluminum, followed by the silver stainless steel Apple Watch at 34%, silver aluminum Apple Watch Sport at 23% and space black stainless steel Apple Watch at 3%. Apple Watch Edition sales were not disclosed, with Quartz claiming that the expensive 18-karat gold model did not represent enough pre-orders to be included in the report.

[​IMG]
    Slice Intelligence also revealed that 28% of Apple Watch pre-orders included a black Sport band, making it the most popular option among customers on April 10. The steel Milanese Loop trailed in second at 25%, while the Link Bracelet (14%), black Classic Buckle (12%) and white Sport band (8%) rounded off the top five. The next seven most popular bands were split between different colors of the Leather Loop and Modern Buckle.

The shopping firm did not provide Apple Watch pre-order data for the other eight countries where the wrist-worn device became available Friday, including Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Japan, China and Hong Kong, and it is likely that sales numbers will vary greatly in each of those regions. In China, for example, the Apple Watch Edition is predicted to sell considerably better than in most other countries.

There are a number of variables to consider when interpreting these Apple Watch pre-order estimates, including that data was limited to the United States and likely extrapolated based on a relatively small pool of consumers. Apple has not provided official sales figures for the Apple Watch, nor did it provide comment on the accuracy of this data, so the exact number of pre-orders Apple received remains to be seen.

Article Link: Apple Watch Received Estimated 1 Million Pre-Orders in U.S. on April 10

2. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Wow! What did the iPhone sell like 10 million pre-orders? :D I think 1million+ is a pretty solid number for Apple.

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Although impressive, I expected at least as much. Several people are ordering more than 1. Interesting this information was put out on a Sunday.

5. fpsBeaTt Suspended

fpsBeaTt

Token comment is token, and comment.

6. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

This is kind of selfish of me, but I wish they would have just launched it in the US first. haha.

7. Sonmi451 Suspended

Pretty solid but it will never silence the haters. They'll figure some way to spin it. You know who you are.

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

The link says that's U.S. pre-orders. I wonder what the full numbers will look like.

Other countries included: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK

9. Nick A macrumors regular

I have to say, based on my completely uneducated guess, I never thought they'd even sell half this amount so quickly.

10. cr2 macrumors regular

Not happy...

I am feeling really stupid now. I should have orders both the sizes. Unfortunate that no one from macrumours gave the idea of ordering two sizes earlier. I wanted to try them out before ordering. I believed what many were saying that there won't be so much demand. Now, I don't expect to get it until June.

11. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I tried one on, just because I was stuck in a mall with an Apple Store yesterday. Came away decidedly unimpressed by the demo (they don't actually let you use it at all while it's on your wrist. Lame.)

12. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

more than anyone else, but seems a bit small?

13. Mythicstatus2 macrumors regular

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

A million in a day is incredible. I'd imagine Apple will be putting out their usual "first weekend" order totals shortly.

I'm guessing 2 million in the first weekend (weekend actually being from when they went live on Friday until the end of Sunday on the US west coast).

15. uid15 Suspended

uid15

That's less than a TINY amount (for Apple), but a HUGE amount for a gen 1 product with no track record. Well done Apple :)

To all the people who inevitably, predictably, have - and will - say "iWatch is pointless", I say this to them - "Okay - so how much MORE pointless does that make all the direction-less, cumbersome Android smart watches?"

16. Wildgift macrumors 6502

Wildgift

17. Chatter macrumors 6502a

No reason to think that they won't sell >10M in the first year - if this info is kinda accurate.

18. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Not bad considering this is brand new category for Apple.

Funny how many people wanted the SG Sport. Happy I ordered mine. :)

19. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Please don't tell me that whatever Macrumors says is your bible? :D

20. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I guess I wrong...

My estimate before they went on sale was 2 Million in the first twelve hours.

21. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

About 1 million on Friday alone. What were the analysts projections, 300,000? (sorry, read that here somewhere, no source). I'd say things are about as rosy as anyone dared think. At this point.

22. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

10 million in day one would be astonishing! One million is a very respectable showing, if true. To put it into perspective, all Android Wear devices combined sold 720,000 units in all of 2014.

23. HenryDJP macrumors 603

One million preorders in one day in just the U.S. seems pretty small? Um, okay....

24. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Everything Apple does should be astonishing.

25. newdeal macrumors 68020

uh its not that bad, they only sold 5.5 million macs last quarter. To sell a million watches in a day is pretty good when you compare it to something sensible like the mac. Not every product they release will be the next iPhone.