Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 Owners Noticing 'Great' Battery Improvements in watchOS 3.1

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 31, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One week ago, Apple released watchOS 3.1 to the public, bringing various bug fixes and performances improvements to the first version update of watchOS 3. Over the past few days a hidden advantage of 3.1 has been discovered, with users on the MacRumors forums and Reddit mentioning that they have vastly improved battery life on their Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2 following the new update.

In a thread that started last Wednesday, forum member tromboneaholic posted a topic about the "great battery life" found on their Series 1 Apple Watch after updating to 3.1. Sixteen hours after charging the device, it still had 75 percent battery, even "with everything turned on like location services and background app refresh." Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watch owners note the same beefed up battery life in 3.1, with one forum member saying that they "can now comfortably skip charging every other night" if they wanted.

[​IMG]
    Some users have even managed to get a Series 2 Apple Watch on 3.1 to last all weekend. Most Apple Watch owners have known in the past that Apple's recommended 18 hour battery life could get them through at least one day without a charge, but now it appears watchOS 3.1 has improved that to a point where users can easily get to the two day mark, as long as there aren't many intensive tasks running on the wearable. Understandably, some apps -- like Apple's stock Workout app -- increase battery loss when running in the background, which offsets the statistic for users working out heavily throughout the day.

Some owners of the original Apple Watch, known online as "Series 0," appear to not have gotten the same battery boost, however. One forum member said their Series 0 "has actually gotten a little worse" on 3.1, with the end-of-day battery percentage down by 10 percent on average. Another user worried about their iPhone 7 potentially being the culprit behind major battery drainage issues, but 3.1 doesn't seem to have helped their case. That forum member mentioned their battery "drops like a stone" after each workout, so it's most likely a specific hardware issue and not a widespread bug.
    Still, the battery improvements for the newer Apple Watches appear to be one of the more notable changes to watchOS for most users. As one Redditor shared yesterday, on a 42mm Series 2 Apple Watch they managed to keep a battery of around 82 percent after 11 hours of standby and 1 hour of usage. That percentage was with prominent haptics, max brightness, and background app refresh all turned on, as well. Since posting, many have shared similar experiences.

Check out the full watchOS 3.1 battery improvement thread over in the MacRumors forums to see more stories related to the update.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 Owners Noticing 'Great' Battery Improvements in watchOS 3.1

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

Eh, sounds like classic update placebo effect. "Some users are reporting better performance/battery life, while others are reporting worse!".

3. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

YES! I am getting three full days of battery after this update.

4. profets macrumors 68040

With the Series 2 I saw a significant improvement over the original watch - though that in itself shouldn't be surprising given the battery capacity was increased by ~35%. It is quite nice to do the usual morning workouts of 1-2 hours and not needing to worry about charging for it to last for the remainder of the day (with the original watch, after a workout I would put the watch on the charger while showering to top it up from the the drain that occurred during a workout).

Since 3.1 it's been even more impressive. I can do the morning workouts, have the watch on for 16+ hours, and still have greater than 50% battery left. I've seen some days with no workout that I have 75% remaining after 16 hours off charge.

5. LimerickRunner macrumors member

LimerickRunner

Just got the Apple Watch Nike plus this weekend and the battery life is awesome!

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Luckily my workouts aren't long enough to drop the battery much on my Series 0, lol.

7. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Original with 3.1 getting worse battery life.
    Funny, though, as I am also having severe connectivity problems and other issues with my 7. Going to Apple Store to get it looked at today so hopefully any benefit will be two fold even though I don't know how they'd be related.

8. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I can easily go two full days on a charge.

9. BeardMan7 macrumors member

BeardMan7

With my Apple Watch 1.Gen. I have now nearly the same battery life with watchOS 3.1 as before with watchOS 2, about 36 hours in best case.

10. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Ah, series zero doesn't sound as good as the original Apple Watch.
    Oh well, didn't notice any effects even with watchOS 3 other than great improvements over speed.

As of this moment, I have 9.30hrs standby and 2.30hrs usage with 55% battery left.
    No complaints here. :)

11. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I never thought of looking at it. Just had a look and 75% battery remaining., Removed from charging at 5am

12. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

Finally, a positive article regarding Apple's recent releases!

And to think it's about the watch...

13. Zadigre macrumors regular

Zadigre

my Wife has a 38mm series 1 watch...
    before the update, at the end of the day, watch was around 15-20%.
    Now, with the same usage, it's around 50%.
    So yes for her, there's an improvement.

for me with my 42mm series 0, I don't see any difference... about the same with watchos 3 and 3.1...

14. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Huh. I know I am, but I hadn't actually thought about it. But the last couple of days I've been doing to bed with 80%+ battery life. All of my settings are just set to default, I don't have anything turned off or set to optimize battery life or anything.

15. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Still seeing great battery life.

Remember before the Apple Watch came out and everyone complained that it wouldn't last the day on a charge.

16. BruiserB, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

BruiserB macrumors 65816

I didn't really notice a change at first after the update to 3.0. I could often wear my watch all day and then sleep with it at night and then only charge it for about an hour while I get ready for work in the morning. Sometime in the last week or so, I started getting low battery warnings before the end of the day. Not sure if one of my apps started acting up in the background, or if something else happened, but my battery life has recently taken a nosedive from what I used to have. I don't think I'm using my watch any more or less than before. I have a Series 0. Looking forward to seeing if 3.1 will get me back where I was, though the report above about Series 0 doesn't sound encouraging.

17. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

I have a Series 2 and an original Apple Watch (actually two), and can confirm the battery life on the Series 2 is amazing on 3.1. The original Apple Watch's battery isn't any worse, but I would say it's the same as I was getting on 3.0. Occasionally it will seem to drop a little fast, but a reboot fixes it so I assume a process is getting hung up in the background.

18. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Too bad I've seen everyone saying their battery life has improved.

19. mrow macrumors member

I had the Series 0 and got the Series 2 on launch day. On both of them with watchOS 3.0 I'd typically end the day with around 40-50% battery left. I haven't updated the Series 0 since it's not currently paired with a phone but I also noticed after the 3.1 update I'm now finishing the day with at least 75% battery left. It's pretty incredible how much it's improved.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't think that's the case. I updated from the original to the Series 2 and noticed that the battery seemed to be draining slightly faster. I'd usually end the day on my original around 50% vs 35-40% on the Series 2 until the 3.1 update.

21. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

My Series 1 AW really hasn't seen any improvement on 3.1. I have noticed the battery getting a bit worse the last month, but it did this was prior to 3.1 anyway.

22. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

So far I agree - had the watch on for 4 hours and I'm only down 6%

23. Fynd macrumors 6502

The article you're posting in literally quotes someone saying their battery life has gotten worse.

24. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

I do a 6.7 mile walk (and related workout) every day. Normally the watch would barely be able to last two days on a charge. Now I'm likely able to last three to three-and-a-half days on a charge after the update to 3.1.

25. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

If the battery on my series 0 has gotten worse, I haven't noticed. Usually sitting at about 30-35% at bedtime.