Apple Watch Series 3 Battery Lasts Up to 18 Hours, But Varies Based on Activity

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple says its Apple Watch Series 3 offers "all-day battery life" with 18 hours of usage, but in some cases, the LTE model's battery will drain more quickly.

The 18-hour usage metric includes 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30-minute workout with music playback, and on the LTE model, it includes 4 hours of LTE connection and 14 hours of connection to iPhone via Bluetooth.

[​IMG]

When talking on the Apple Watch or working out, though, battery life is shorter when using an LTE connection.

The Series 3 Apple Watch offers 1 hour of battery life when talking to someone on the phone over LTE, or three hours when connected to the iPhone.

For audio playback when connected to the iPhone, the Apple Watch battery will last for up to 10 hours, which is an improvement over the Series 2 (6.5 hours). Apple does not mention how long the battery will last when listening to music over an LTE connection, but the Apple Watch Series 3 will support streaming from Apple Music without an iPhone.

When it comes to workouts, the Apple Watch battery will last for up to 10 hours during an indoor workout with an iPhone nearby, but that number drops for an outdoor workout sans iPhone. With just GPS activated, the battery in the Series 3 Apple Watch will last for five hours (the same battery life as the Series 2 with GPS on), and when connected to LTE and GPS the battery will last for four hours during an outdoor workout.

According to Apple, the Apple Watch Series 3 will charge to 80 percent in one and a half hours and 100 percent in two hours using the included Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable. These charging numbers are identical to the Apple Watch Series 2.

Apple's Series 3 Apple Watch models will be available for pre-order on September 15, with the device launching on September 22. Pricing starts at $329 for non-LTE models, and $399 for LTE models.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Battery Lasts Up to 18 Hours, But Varies Based on Activity

2. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

People thinking the Apple Watch will get FaceTime anytime soon are crazy. Even on my iPhone 7 FaceTime eats battery. If you’re holding out for it—don’t.

3. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

One hour of battery life?

Ugh.

But gotta start somewhere.

4. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Dramatic changes to battery life based on usage, as expected.

5. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

you can see who really hates apple by the titles of these articles.
    forbes: "APPLE WATCH ONLY LASTS 1 HOUR!"
    macrumors: "APPLE WATCH LASTS 18 HOURS!"

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Not sure I fully understand those numbers, but ok.... It’s quite clear we need a battery breakthrough next. It’s got to be the next big thing in this industry.

7. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

But bluetooth 4.2?? Come on Apple. You're better than that.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Is it hate or agenda?

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

They for got to give credit where credit is due.

This article was written by, Captain Obvious.

10. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

So let’s say I really want the SS watch but don’t want to activate a data plan on it, the battery will only last 14 hours? I would get the non-cellular watch but it only comes in aluminum

11. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

that's a very obvious looking heart rate sensor / glass insert. my wrist will more so have the skin circle now...

12. mistasopz macrumors regular

1 hour of talk time? What's the point? You talk to someone and then have to take off your watch and wait around 2 hours to get it back to full charge.

13. zahuh macrumors member

The next watch will have a bigger screen and therefore will have a bigger battery and can them have a FaceTime cam. They’re gonna do it one day. For people to think this design is the only way the watch will look need to watch the keynote again and see how far the iPhone has come.

14. MadeMyDay, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 1:57 PM

MadeMyDay macrumors regular

MadeMyDay

Reminds me of analog cellular days with 30 minutes/mo plans:
    "Don't put me on hold. Talk fast. This is a cellular call !"

It may only be good for saying, "Hold on while I transfer you to my REAL phone."

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Why does the Apple Watch series 3 need BT5?! Shiiiiiizzzzz

16. SoApple macrumors regular

Gahhh. I’m torn. The LTE battery life is a big annoyance.

17. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Apple did a great job on this Watch

They succeeded where Samsung and others failed.

But this battery life is a showstopper for me. cellular is a nice to have.

The app,e Watch is about fitness. The more focused Apple gets around that, the better the product will be.

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

This is already possible because of battery breakthroughs.

19. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Agreed on that last line. The watch isn't good for looking up something on the internet (can blame siri for that), reading emails, or getting news, which is a big parts of my phone activity. I'd love it if the watch were good at these tasks, but all I really do with it is check text messages (but grab the phone to respond as I don't like dictating aloud) and use it for running. Series 2 has definitely been nice as an all-around daily work watch and fitness wearable.

20. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Or Omnidroid v. 9?

Attached Files:

21. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

They have for sure outsold Samsung, but the Gear S3 does have amazing battery life.

22. oosamon macrumors newbie

oosamon

The modern "gold rush" is for longer battery life.

23. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Haha this why I am not convinced about LTE on the watch. 1 hour talk time? On the feature (making phone calls on it) that was advertised? Cue in people moaning and groaning about it in the next few months.

24. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I take my watch off at work and charge it on my desk for an hour or so. I'm able to sleep with it on and get to work the next day where I charge it again. Not a big deal.

25. Westside guy, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm not planning to get this watch - I'll stick with my Series 1.

I've got to say, though, that demo was a little impressive. Not the fact that she was calling from the middle of the lake, but - the lady's watch picked up her voice really well, considering its relative position as she paddled. Maybe all the watches can do that... but I still tend to hold mine up to my face (on the rare occasions) when I talk into it. I'll have to stop doing that, and see how well the microphone works.