Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
For a device that would only get the most limited use anyway, it’s outageous to charge such a fee.
It would be silly to buy it in that example.
I really love the watch with LTE, for what little extra it costs its worth the extra.
If you had one then you'd know and you keep it or sell it.
I'm keeping mine, I spend more per year on coffee, chocolate, beer you name it!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I live in Chicago, and my $10/month turned into $18.50/month with all fees and taxes. Ridiculous what was expected to be $20ish for my wife and I is nearly $40. Not worth it at all.
I think we take the cake here. I’m surprised it isn’t California, which usually is the king of taxation. Gotta love the $3.90 Illinois 911 surcharge, $0.89 municipal telecommunications tax, and $0.89 state telecommunications tax. Of course, AT&T disguises a $1.25 “regulatory cost recovery charge” and a $0.76 administrative as taxes when they are really fees, but the government is taking the lion’s share of the amount over the $10 plan charge.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
That’s one way to go about it but you haven’t explained how it’s better than not allowing them to charge the fees in the first place. I don’t see why the desire to make the market more equitable to the customer has to fall entirely on the customer.

Because, asking government to regulate prices of private businesses rarely works well. And where do you draw that line? When we got the solid rumor that iPhone X was going to start at $1000, many of us- even the near over-the-top fans here- were freaking about Apple's "price hike." So, how about the government stepping in and not allowing Apple to charge so much for that product?

Let me guess: suddenly the "government should" solution looks very different, right?

No, let me guess again: "but that's different. Apple is making a tangible product. These are services... even our own airwaves, blah, blah, blah."

Basically, if the GOV is asked to pinch the prices of some products or services, why not others... including Apples? And that's the problem with expecting the GOV to get involved.

The real power on prices is still with the consumers- as a group. If they act as a group and say no, the sellers will get more competitive to try to woo those dollars out of our pockets. They want the money much more than we want or need their services. We just don't know that... or don't believe that enough ourselves.

Hop back in time less than 30 years and the whole world got by just fine without any cellular services, or any cell phones. It's not like either are essential even in 2017. We've just fooled ourselves into seeing them as such.

Now I can make the case that they are much more important today as a useful "do everything" tool. But if the bulk of us scoffed at pricing of service or even phones, prices would fall. Instead, we'll pay whatever the sellers ask and thus reward the sellers for exploiting us.

The sellers get huge and flow some of their money to political coffers and the prospective savior will simply look the other way. Once again, we consumers have the ultimate power there too- we could vote 'em all out when we vote. But the same players generally get put right back in at each election, and the whole thing just keeps on rolling.

For what it's worth, the GOV DID once do something about a phone communications monopoly when it stepped in and broke up AT&T about 40 years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_the_Bell_System . Apparently, AT&T was not flowing the right amount of money into the campaign coffers. AT&T learned it's lesson and has now merged itself right back together stronger than ever. Have you heard even a hint about breaking them up again from the GOV? How about the "too big to fail" banks being broken up so that can't happen again? Again, they too are bigger than ever... and not a word from the GOV.

Last edited:

kmm333

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Real world answer: People who run long distances and don't want to carry their (increasingly larger) smartphones with them, but must have a method of communication with them for safety reasons.

For example, I run multiple marathons a year and am training year round. I go on long runs all the time. I also live in the middle of a very large non-pedestrian-focused city with a lot of drivers who are generally oblivious to pedestrians, and have had several close calls over the years. Additionally, I'm an asthmatic and while problems are rare–there's always the threat of something bad happening. I have to have a way to call in case of an emergency. For people like me having a watch that can do emergency calls (or allow you to receive messages while you're on a 3+ hour run just in case someone else is having an emergency worth cutting your run short for) without having to carry a large device with you is very appealing.

Edit: Clearly this isn't a need that isn't covered by a phone. It is, however, a substantial quality of life improvement for some.

An armband or fanny pack doesn’t do the trick? I see the convenience of it, but not for the extra up front and monthly costs.

Reactions: jettredmont

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
$5/month on all carriers in Australia (Telstra, Optus & Vodafone) - month to month, no activation fee, no taxes on top.
Data comes out of your account 'pool', Optus' even adds an extra GB to it.

Telstra currently has 'unmetered' data on the watch, though even when that ends, Apple Music data usage doesn't count towards your account quota.

Plus, first three months free on all three carriers.

Reactions: dotnet

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
I keep hoping Apple will buy T-Mobile or Sprint. Imagine how panicked AT&T and Verizon would be?
Great! More companies to the list. Till now I have heard apple should buy:
  1. Netflix
  2. Disney
  3. LG
  4. Qualcomm
  5. TMobile/Sprint
Whatekse? Should there be only one company in the world called Apple?:rolleyes:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
If Apple Watch LTE costs up to $15/mo on some carriers... do other LTE watches also cost that much?

I never heard the outrage when other brands of LTE smartwatches hit the market... Gear S3, et al...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Because, asking government to regulate prices of private businesses rarely works well. And where do you draw that line? When we got the solid rumor that iPhone X was going to start at $1000, many of us- even the near over-the-top fans here- were freaking about Apple's "price hike." So, how about the government stepping in and not allowing Apple to charge so much for that product?

Let me guess: suddenly the "government should" solution looks very different, right?

No, let me guess again: "but that's different. Apple is making a tangible product. These are services... even our own airwaves, blah, blah, blah."

Basically, if the GOV is asked to pinch the prices of some products or services, why not others... including Apples? And that's the problem with expecting the GOV to get involved.

The real power on prices is still with the consumers- as a group. If they act as a group and say no, the sellers will get more competitive to try to woo those dollars out of our pockets. They want the money much more than we want or need their services.

Hop back in time less than 30 years and the whole world got by just fine with any cellular services, and any cell phones. It's not like either are essential even in 2017. We've just fooled ourselves into seeing them as such.

Now I can make the case that they are much more important today as a useful "do everything" tool. But if the bulk of us scoffed at pricing of service or even phones, prices would fall. Instead, we'll pay whatever the sellers ask and thus reward the sellers for exploiting us.

The sellers get huge and flow some of their money to political coffers and the prospective savior will simply look the other way. Once again, we consumers have the ultimate power there too- we could vote 'em all out when we vote. But the same players generally get put right back in at each election, and the whole thing just keeps on rolling.

For what it's worth, the GOV DID once do something about a phone communications monopoly when it stepped in and broke up AT&T about 40 years ago. Apparently, AT&T was not flowing the right amount of money into the campaign coffers. AT&T learned it's lesson and has now merged itself right back together stronger than ever. Have you heard even a hint about breaking them up again from the GOV? How about the "too big to fail" banks being broken up so that can't happen again? Again, they too are bigger than ever... and not a word from the GOV.
Good point. With Free market, the best defense against high prices is for the consumer to not engage the business (suvh as signing up for the LTE), as you aptly mentioned before.

More government is not the answer. An educated consumer willing to do his or her part is the best policing of the market.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I want a AW3 LTE and I understand that your watch has it's own number and some forwarding is going on so I can kind of see why there would be an extra charge but what blows is the reactivation fee. ATT wants $25 that is crazy. It should be as long a you have the service active at least once a year or every 6 months there would be no activation fee.
I would probably get one if I could turn the service on and off with out paying an activation fee. During the summer when I'm outside more doing things. It would be nice to leave the phone at home, more so since I have an X

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I would personally be so unbelievably guilt ridden

A) paying retail for a series3
B) paying for a plan for series3

I had a s0 forever I got a great sale deal on and paid so little for at the time, which is on wOS3/iOS 10 Pairing, got a s1 for wOS4 with unused black sport band and a great leather band I can’t find online that’s 3rd party, for $150 on Craigslist, barely used at all it (why she sold
It) when I got my x

I’ll always lag behind on watches happily, and no data plan. Ever. For me
I have an Aw3LTE on each arm, so I can call my other arm, whenever I want.
Guilt? Not so much.
[doublepost=1513642913][/doublepost]
I want a AW3 LTE and I understand that your watch has it's own number and some forwarding is going on so I can kind of see why there would be an extra charge but what blows is the reactivation fee. ATT wants $25 that is crazy. It should be as long a you have the service active at least once a year or every 6 months there would be no activation fee.
I would probably get one if I could turn the service on and off with out paying an activation fee. During the summer when I'm outside more doing things. It would be nice to leave the phone at home, more so since I have an X
After you buy one you won't turn of the LTE so, this is a non issue. Believe me.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Disclaimer: I own the S3 LTE, have enabled cellular on it with T-Mobile and don't intend to deactivate any time soon.

It makes me chuckle seeing the complaints about $10 - 15 per month charges. People are paying $40+ per month in phone payments, $50+ per month in carrier charges for calls and data on their phone.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Disclaimer: I own the S3 LTE, have enabled cellular on it with T-Mobile and don't intend to deactivate any time soon.

It makes me chuckle seeing the complaints about $10 - 15 per month charges. People are paying $40+ per month in phone payments, $50+ per month in carrier charges for calls and data on their phone.
But here in Apple 5th dimension, it's different.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine

heh, Probably the same people that clog up the line at Starbucks buying a $7 coffee ;)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think the issue is that when they turn off your account, the number goes back into the pool. I suppose they could come up with some sort of plan where you “reserve” the phone number assigned to the SIM for a period of time, and can turn the plan on or off as needed. On regular cellular lines, most carriers offer the ability to “suspend” an account for up to 3 months. It’s worth asking if that’s possible with these wearable plans.

robsp2000

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
I too train year round, often on long single track runs. And run multiple marathons and ultramarathons. I don't carry my phone when running, never have even when on long runs in the bush or in the town. **** happens and touchwood, I've never been in the position where I've needed to communicate in an emergency.

While some people feel the need for 24/7 contact or emergency contact, I never have. I began running many years before the advent of a cellphone that you could carry and hope to continue for a few more yet.

I just can't see the point investing in yet another insurance policy in the form of a cellular account on a watch. I bought an AW3 without cellular for that reason. It just seemed absolutely pointless.

I do carry my phone when cycling, but only because it's easy to slip into the back of the shirt.

Life is risky.

I see the same need here to want to be able to be reached or call someone in case of an emergency. I hate lugging my phone with me when I run. With the amount of money I spend on running supplies plus the time I invest I do not see $15/month stopping me from activating LTE if it makes my runs easier. Plus in this case investing in something that keeps me healthy is worth it, could easily waste that on two fast food trips.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Had 100% agreement right up to there. Everyone wants a good medical system, lawyers, engineers and a smart work force to compete globally so that they can directly, or even indirectly, benefit locally. Not to mention, the quality of schools is one of the biggest points of determining your house's value in the market and where businesses decide to locate. But then we see this mindset come strolling out...."ain't my kids, why should I pay?" So, sorry to offend, but I will get you started call you out on the issue. Name one, just one, instance where schools got better when we paid less for them. I'll wait.

ETA: On second thought, strike that. Not worth discussing social issues in a Apple Watch thread. I will just leave this thought: the advantaged in this country send their kids to the best schools. You'd think that they recognize a correlation between being well educated and success, or something. I'd think we'd agree that we want more of this for the general population, not less. Cheers.

(Was meant only tongue-in-cheek. Sorry, I shouldn’t have thrown that out there. Hasn’t been a great day)

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
While I think an apple watch with LTE is "cool." As with most, the amount of times I'm without my phone is next to 0, so it really doesn't even have the convenience factor.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
I’m pretty sure I’m paying like $17.50 a month on AT&T near Atlanta, GA. Will have to log in and check the exact numbers later.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
For what it's worth, the GOV DID once do something about a phone communications monopoly when it stepped in and broke up AT&T about 40 years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_the_Bell_System . Apparently, AT&T was not flowing the right amount of money into the campaign coffers. AT&T learned it's lesson and has now merged itself right back together stronger than ever.

AT&T is like the T-1000. Blast it apart and it's only a matter of time before all the pieces reunite.

1B68599B000005DC-0-image-a-4_1470329951344.jpg

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I see the same need here to want to be able to be reached or call someone in case of an emergency. I hate lugging my phone with me when I run. With the amount of money I spend on running supplies plus the time I invest I do not see $15/month stopping me from activating LTE if it makes my runs easier. Plus in this case investing in something that keeps me healthy is worth it, could easily waste that on two fast food trips.
Some of the members and onlookers think Apple fanboys and girls are bad. They haven't seen ultra marathoners who use runningwarehouse as their home page and spend a few hours a day looking at said site, Kellys runningwarehouse and more, not to mention Ultra runner signup, looking for that killer deal and next race. Not to mention spending hours talking about running gear (Nathan and Ospry) and nutrition, as well as running shoes (Altra and the like).

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
Sadly, I don't think this is a realistic use of the Apple Watch. Real world facts...

1. Zac Hall of 9 to 5 mac just recently ran a half-marathon (13.1 miles) only using the AW3 and AirPods. He used LTE music for streaming (as well as some music downloaded on the device) plus some text messages but didn't make a call. He left GPS and optical HR on. Both the AW3 and AirPods were at 100% to start the race. He finished in about 2 hr 30 minutes and had 2% on his AirPods (he believes they didn't last the 5 hour rated life because of the high volume level he used) and had 13% left on his AW3. You could obviously save battery life by turning off optical HR and GPS (but I don't know marathon / half-marathon runners who would want or be willing to do so) or avoid streaming music with LTE (but then you either have to slowly download music to the watch in advance or run without music and not many runners would be willing to do that either.)

2. Because of this level of battery performance (consider again he made NO voice calls) it is IMHO unrealistic to do more than a 1 hour away from the iPhone workout using LTE streaming without needing to immediately charge the AW3 to get through the rest of the day. For *many* I understand 1 hour is likely to be enough but not someone "running multiple marathons a year". You would need more, certainly to get through the day but also the workout itself. I doubt a marathon runner could get through even longer training runs let alone the marathon if you used LTE+GPS+HR at the same time, and that is without even needing to make a voice call in an emergency or otherwise.

I think future models of the AW will clearly "get there" in terms of battery life and it may be there for most of us already, but the dreams of taking your watch for your 16-22 mile training run while streaming music (or a podcast, whoops can't do that!), tracking GPS, tracking your heart rate, having an emergency reserve for a brief phone call or two AND then hoping to not have to recharge to get through the day is simply that right now, a dream.
Streaming LTE is a significant battery hog. I should be able to complete a marathon with battery life to spare provided you don't stream. I've not had an issue downloading music to my AW S2. Just select a playlist, add songs, and come back later and they are queued up. I do use this feature.
I know a few runners that wear their Garmin for race data and the Apple Watch for general communications. I know it's ridiculous to have to wear both, but they do saving the Apple watch from burning through GPS power.
I'm not disagreeing with you that it's not there yet, but there is a workable solution. Admittedly most marathon runners I know don't think AW is the best choice because of the batter life.
Also, most of them train at much less than marathon distances on a regular basis, so they're usually only doing the full 26.6 on race days and maybe one or two training runs.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
The fees are my biggest complaint. The service should be no more than $5 a month making it close to $10 with the fees. If some of the Android devices are only $5 a month why can't the Apple Watch.

Telstra charges AU$5 and no activation fee for their "One Number" service, regardless of device (Apple or otherwise).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.