Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has sourced Quanta Computer as the primary manufacturer of the Apple Watch since the original wearable device began a production ramp-up in late 2014/early 2015 for its official launch in the spring of 2015.

The supplier was again the sole source of Apple Watch manufacturing for the Series 2 models in 2016, and a new article out today by Chinese-language site Economic Daily News has echoed previous reports that stated Apple will yet again keep Quanta as its main Apple Watch supplier for the so-called "Apple Watch Series 3." The move is expected to lead Quanta into a "strong" second half of 2017, further cementing the next-generation Apple Watch's debut this upcoming fall (via DigiTimes).

applewatchsportbands.jpg

Additionally, Quanta's income towards the end of the year is poised to rise thanks to the manufacturer's supply of notebooks and servers, but the Apple Watch Series 3 is described as one of the company's biggest assets. Secondary to Quanta, EDN's report today cited market watchers who believe Compal will also be sourced as an Apple Watch supplier this year, but with a focus on older-generation models and not including Series 3.
Quanta Computer is expected to enjoy a strong second-half 2017 thanks to rising demand for notebooks, growing server sales and the release of the next-generation Apple Watch, according to a Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) report.

Apple is reportedly planning to launch its third-generation Apple Watch in 2017 and the wearable is likely to help Quanta's Apple Watch product line turn profitable. Although Compal Electronics reportedly has joined the supply chain of the Apple Watch, the market watchers believe Apple is likely to let Compal mainly handle older-generation models, the paper added.
While rumors leading into the fall of 2017 have largely focused on the iPhone 8, it is believed that Apple will launch an all-new Apple Watch device this year, perhaps at the same iPhone debut event expected in September. The company used that strategy last fall when it announced and launched the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and Apple Watch Series 2 within the same September timeframe.

Besides the expected new-generation bumps to processing speeds and a longer battery life, Apple Watch Series 3 has been rumored to include cellular connectivity so users could make phone calls, send iMessages, and stream Apple Music without needing to be tethered to their iPhone, with the caveat of an added data plan likely. The Series 3 device is also said to not include any major visual overhauls to the Apple Watch design, keeping the same case and band form factor that Apple has used since 2015.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Expected to Debut in Fall 2017, Boosting Manufacturing Partner Quanta's Revenue

Hodar1

macrumors regular
Battery life on the Series 2 is impressive, I typically go to bed with ~70% left. Speed of performance? Ok, the processing power could stand to be ratcheted up a bit; but the biggest bang I would like to see is the speaker being louder. Being able to answer or make a phone call with my watch, is very handy - but when I answer it when I'm driving; the volume just doesn't get much above the background noise. What's the point of having a "hands free" phone capability, if one can barely hear it?

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Apple is now firmly back to iPod-style domination for the wearables market.

No competitor has the money and/or the incentive (as they already lost tons of money on their failed wearables efforts) to research&develop the futuristic tech Apple is expected to deliver in the next years.

This is Apple's game to play, and win, for the foreseeable future.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Apple is now firmly back to iPod-style domination for the wearables market.

No competitor has the money and/or the incentive (as they already lost tons of money on their failed wearables efforts) to research&develop the futuristic tech Apple is expected to deliver in the next years.

This is Apple's game to play, and win, for the foreseeable future.

Then you better go out and buy lots and lots and lots of apple stock! Go. Now.

Reactions: macfacts

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
You mean it'll be announced the same time all past models have been?! No way! Next you'll tell me that products will be announced at WWDC and the iPhone in the fall

Reactions: McTool and tkukoc

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
This is the only device from Apple that I'd buy this year. None of the others interest me at all. It pains me to upgrade my watch as fast as these keep coming because the resale market on these are terrible... but I do enjoy the apple watch and making apps for it is pretty easy. I'm one that doesn't need the cellular connection, plus having to pay another fee for that monthly would kill any idea of me even wanting that feature.

cloudness

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
Cellular connectivity: much needed evolution in the same process as the iPhone and iPod cut the cord with the Mac few years ago when Wifi sync became reliable enough. Ready for a double watch system, keeping my original Apple Watch as backup for my infinite move goal trophy in case of failure :D

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
So it's going to be a 12 month cycle? Honestly I think something like the Watch could be updated every 18-24 months.

New materials such as the Ceramic and others are probably being added to update them, the Watch bands are updated regularly because as well as being a smart watch it's also a fashion piece for a lot of people.

Reactions: tgara

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You mean it'll be announced the same time all past models have been?! No way! Next you'll tell me that products will be announced at WWDC and the iPhone in the fall
To be fair, the first one was announced then but not released until April. The next one was released in September. That's only two data points, so we don't really have a pattern to know if it's closer to an 18 month cycle, which is why the rumor is interesting.
[doublepost=1500994346][/doublepost]
New materials such as the Ceramic and others are probably being added to update them, the Watch bands are updated regularly because as well as being a smart watch it's also a fashion piece for a lot of people.
I think a good system would be to update it every 18 months, and release a new material or color and new bands around the 9 month mark.

Reactions: Dave245

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Thanks to the band collectors apple doesn't want to hurt their feelings, so they will do what apple does best and milk a design for several years until there is enough complaints on macrumors.

I want to like the apple watch, but $300+ is too much for stubby, thick bezel, extension of your phone. With the iPhone 8 around the corner I am going to enjoy using that more than what I would use for the apple watch.

I may just go with a fitness tracker that is able to read me text / calls and call it day.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
So it's going to be a 12 month cycle? Honestly I think something like the Watch could be updated every 18-24 months.

It's a business. And they know people will buy regardless of its cycle. If you want to buy every 18-24 months, then you do that! But others, may not. At the end of the day, it's a business and also competition grows each day (good thing).
[doublepost=1500994606][/doublepost]
Needing an always-on screen to consider this upgrade.

Why? Like the Samsung phones? So it shows the time? Neat, I guess.. but why? You look at your watch to see the time when you want to see it... why waste limited resources?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.