Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
So I want blood pressure and glucose monitoring to consider upgrading to the new version. I have version one and love it. But can't justify an updated version with only small iterations.
Blood pressure is impossible without applying pressure. Thats never going to happen. O2 saturation could happen and the sensors are there but Apple was apparently unable to get it reliable enough. Glucose - no one can do that without blood currently. But people are working on it.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
With all due respect, comparing an Apple Watch to a fitbit is like comparing a pineapple to a giraffe.

For the vast majority of people, they perform the exact same functions.

Edit: At least that's my experience. Regardless of whether it's Apple, Samsung, or whoever, I ask them how they enjoy their smartwatch and then they say how they enjoyed the cool smartwatch features for a little while but then when they say what they still use it for, it falls in the fitness tracking arena.

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
This is the only device from Apple that I'd buy this year. None of the others interest me at all. It pains me to upgrade my watch as fast as these keep coming because the resale market on these are terrible... but I do enjoy the apple watch and making apps for it is pretty easy. I'm one that doesn't need the cellular connection, plus having to pay another fee for that monthly would kill any idea of me even wanting that feature.

See, I'm the exact opposite. I have the original series Apple watch, and I love it, but I feel zero need to upgrade it at this point. Besides maybe wishing the original were advertised as waterproof, there's really nothing else the new ones do that i need. But I'm definitely interested in the next iPhone, and maybe even the Homepod once i get to hear it. The Watch is the rare instance where I think they nailed it out of the gate, and all the rest are incremental improvements. If they release one with cellular that can use your existing account, or maybe some kind of facetime camera, that would be intriguing enough, but for now I think it suits my needs just fine.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Baloney. I have a series 0 Watch and the battery lasts thirty six hours easy with moderate use. I put it on its charger at night before retiring. What's the problem with battery life?

Exactly. Before you get an Apple Watch, and during the first few weeks, daily charging is a complaint. But it becomes a habit, that only takes 2 seconds every day, that you don't think about or complain about.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I thought they were getting themselves into a 2 year update cycle? This seems to make the most sense, however having said that, I have a gen 2 and would easily upgrade to a gen 3 if I saw it was worth. This watch seamlessly integrated into my life, and I have to say motivated me to exercise more than before BECAUSE I HAVE TO CLOSE THOSE DANG RINGS!!!

Reactions: tooloud10

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I love how this watch keeps getting better and better but yet they keep the same design for now. It’s smart and makes the device more recognizable. Apple wants these on many wrists as possible. I say keep improving the watch then redesign it with Series 4.

Reactions: Azzin

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
So it's going to be a 12 month cycle? Honestly I think something like the Watch could be updated every 18-24 months.

I'm fine with them releasing an updated AW every year as long as they keep supporting old models.
I own a series 1 and I'm really satisfied, I don't think I need cellular connectivity so I wonder what can Apple put in a future version to entice me to upgrade.
I think they'll introduce some kind of smart bands, to provide even more features concerning health. And the Watch is also a fashion item, like watches has always been, so a redesign will always help sales.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
See, I'm the exact opposite. I have the original series Apple watch, and I love it, but I feel zero need to upgrade it at this point.

I shared your sentiments until my use case changed.

I began to use my watch outside more, and in the rain. My series 0 was too dim to see in bright sunlight, and when it rained, the touch screen would freak out and do weird things like open apps, complications, etc. by detecting water as false touches on the screen. It became very annoying.

So I got a series 2 when I saw it was $70 off. The water lock is great so I don't get the false touches in the rain anymore, and I can see my Watch in the bright sunlight much easier.

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
I don't get the cellular connectivity. I am rarely without my phone, but more importantly, let's say that the cost of an additional device on a cell plan, after taxes and fees is around $50 per month. That is $600 a year. Sorry, but that's a lot of money to make and receive phone calls on my watch, send and receive messages and listen to music. Especially when it is just for times when I don't have my phone within range of the watch.

Maybe people are more wealth than me, but I just don't get it.

In the U.K., data-only contracts are very cheap compared to data-calls-texts contracts. Is it different in the US and elsewhere? 2GB on my iPad is £11 per month.

Without thinking too thoroughly about this, I imagine the Watch would only need data for FaceTime Audio calls, iMessages, loading Maps, Siri, syncing Calendars and Reminders and other small data, Weather, Mail. None of these things uses huge amounts of data. Apple could limit Music playback to what's saved on the device for now.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
My wife and I both bought the stainless series 2. We both love the watch and the fact that it isn't round is part of what sets it off from other watches. I hope they maintain the current design and doubt they will change it much if or when they do because there will be too many people pissed off with bands that don't work with a round watch.

As far as the people who say its too fat, chunky, etc, etc. Every time I read one of those comments it tells me right away that it's from someone who doesn't own an Apple Watch. When it's on your wrist it is less chunky than many modern, conventional watches that are sold today.

I have a 42mm and actually wish they made a third, larger version.
This is so true. One of my friends have a Gear S3 Classic and that smartwatch is huge compared to the Apple Watch. It’s the definition of chunky and fat.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
See, I'm the exact opposite. I have the original series Apple watch, and I love it, but I feel zero need to upgrade it at this point. Besides maybe wishing the original were advertised as waterproof, there's really nothing else the new ones do that i need. But I'm definitely interested in the next iPhone, and maybe even the Homepod once i get to hear it. The Watch is the rare instance where I think they nailed it out of the gate, and all the rest are incremental improvements. If they release one with cellular that can use your existing account, or maybe some kind of facetime camera, that would be intriguing enough, but for now I think it suits my needs just fine.
Ah yes, forgot about Homepod.. well ok so there's maybe a second device I'll purchase this year from Apple. :)

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I bought 3 Apple watches and returned them all.
I really wanted to like it and find a use for it but really it's nothing more than a notification announcer.

I was even happy to accept it as just a more capable digital watch but what digital watch has the battery life of just less than 2 days?

I just don't want to chargd my watch plugged into wall every night.

Also it looks very average at best..
The non gps model absolutely makes no sense and the price needs to be cheaper.
They should also ditch silly crazy expensive models,it's a device with limited lifespan not jewellery.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple is now firmly back to iPod-style domination for the wearables market.

No competitor has the money and/or the incentive (as they already lost tons of money on their failed wearables efforts) to research&develop the futuristic tech Apple is expected to deliver in the next years.

This is Apple's game to play, and win, for the foreseeable future.

Bit of hyperbole. The iPod was a true universal phenomena. The Apple Watch is still a niche. Does Apple dominate this niche? Who knows. We still don't have any actual sales numbers and current AW's are regularly heavily discounted. Target has $70 off Series 1 this week. OTOH the iPod was very rarely on sale and then it was a pittance -- maybe $20 off during Black Friday.

I also would dispute your comment that "No competitor has the money and/or the incentive (as they already lost tons of money on their failed wearables efforts) to research&develop the futuristic tech Apple is expected to deliver in the next years." Garmin still is a better product for true sports data collection. I just upgraded my 630 to the 935. Fantastic watch -- and round!. If it only had Apple Pay I might be convinced to make it my daily watch.

That said I'm excited to see what AW Series 3 brings. Hopefully it will be a serious sports watch, adding in a barometer, and stuff like VO2 Max, lactate threshold, anaerobic and aerobic training status, etc, rather than just a Series 2 with bonus Disney character faces or Hermes trim. Also would like to see it being untethered more from iPhone.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Baloney. I have a series 0 Watch and the battery lasts thirty six hours easy with moderate use. I put it on its charger at night before retiring. What's the problem with battery life?

Yep, I wear my series 0 for 22 hours each day/night and charge it for 2 hours each morning, the battery seldom reaches below 60 %.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
Its going to have to be pretty stellar for me to upgrade from my previous Apple watch.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Greatest product failure of all time. Yet still propped up. Go to a apple store and see the cobwebs on the sales table.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm fine with them releasing an updated AW every year as long as they keep supporting old models.
I own a series 1 and I'm really satisfied, I don't think I need cellular connectivity so I wonder what can Apple put in a future version to entice me to upgrade.
I think they'll introduce some kind of smart bands, to provide even more features concerning health. And the Watch is also a fashion item, like watches has always been, so a redesign will always help sales.
Yeah, they definitely need to support the software on Apple Watch longer than they do on iOS, because these are watches. People don't upgrade them frequently. That being said, Apple does provide pretty good support on iOS compared to most companies. I just hope that something like a watch will have a longer lifecycle, even if only on a basic level so that in the far future you could wear an original Series 0 to a fancy dinner and it would at least function as a watch without needing to be paired or activated. It irritates me that I can't hook up my original iPhone to the cellular network, despite it still being a device capable of connecting, simply because Apple took down the activation for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.