Apple Watch Series 3: Skepticism Surrounds Usefulness of LTE, but Performance Improvements Welcome

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While the focus and discussion following today's Apple event remains largely on the iPhone X, the company also announced the Apple Watch Series 3, which packs cellular connectivity into the same form factor of Apple's wearable device that we've seen since the first generation.

First impressions for the device have now been released, and The Verge pointed out that the Apple Watch Series 3 will be very familiar to any previous Apple Watch wearers, explaining that you can only really notice its slightly thicker case when comparing the Series 3 to the Series 2 from each side. The only other differentiating factor is the red dot on the Digital Crown of the LTE models.

[​IMG]

Apple claimed that the LTE Apple Watch Series 3 will last as long as previous versions of the smartwatch (about 18 hours, though most users get more out of it), but The Verge remained skeptical about that statistic ahead of an official test and review. For now, the site said the updated Apple Watch still doesn't feel like a game-changer, but those on older generations will likely find a lot of reasons to upgrade.
    Engadget noted that while the design of the Apple Watch Series 3 isn't "much to write home about" when looking for differences between it and earlier models, Apple's decision to retain support for older bands is still a welcome move. After trying it on, Engadget said the Series 3 version felt essentially the same to the Apple Watch Series 2, but the site explained that this is "a huge testament to [Apple] Watch's design team.

[​IMG]

Engadget also pointed out a "pretty noticeable" increase in performance compared to Series 2, although it isn't as "pronounced" as the jump from the first generation to Series 2. Of course, some of the more notable changes to Series 3 -- like hearing Siri speak or streaming Apple Music -- will have to wait for official reviews once the device launches on September 22.

[​IMG]
    The Apple Watch Series 3 is available in a Wi-Fi only model starting at $329, and a Wi-Fi + Cellular model starting at $399. Apple today also unveiled new bands and cases for the device, including a new Sport Loop and new Gray Ceramic case.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3: Skepticism Surrounds Usefulness of LTE, but Performance Improvements Welcome

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

3. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

If they stopped selling this as a stand alone device rather than an iPhone accessory I could see this feature being more beneficial. Making setup and app installs all done on the watch could open a whole new market of people wanting a decent smart watch and fitness tracker but don’t have android.

4. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

I get that they're busy perfecting this device, however I think the lack of a design change (since 2014!) will be the detrimental factor to barely anyone being interested in this device. The software from this and the TV still appear to not be completely intuitive, at least not to the Apple standard.

I have no doubt that the role of these devices will be pivotal within the next five years, the future is bright, but for today the mass general public will not really care about this version.

Ps - can't wait till these micro-technologies trickle down to future iPhones, just like how iOS device tech trickled back to the Mac.

5. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

what? how do you setup without a keyboard?

6. JohnApples macrumors 65816

The thing preventing me from having much interest in Series 3 is the required LTE line.

If I'm using the same number, why do I need a new "smartwatch line"? Why can't I just pull data from my iPhone's stash?

There are times that I would like to go out without my phone- watch only. But they aren't super frequent, so I will just be paying for that LTE line even if my watch is pulling data from my iPhone in range.

Will sadly have to pass for now.

7. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

I disagree. This was the sleeper today. Music with my AirPods and no phone. Epic

8. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

I just like that the LTE version has 16gb of storage! Performance boost is nice too.

9. macTW Suspended

I don't know who these reviewers speak to, because almost everybody at my company and that I know wishes they can sometimes forget their phone and use their watch instead.

10. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

Almost there! So close. Just holding out for the model with a camera so I can make wrist watch video calls! My inner secret agent is waiting.

11. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The only thing that is really needed to setup is signing into iCloud account. Scribble and voice could work just fine and once it’s signed into your account all your WiFi passwords could sync.

12. GaryLasereyes macrumors member

Who do you have to kill to get podcast support on this thing? It's a small travesty that they're completely ignored this one tiny feature.

13. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

An LTE WATCH is about the same as an LTE iPad. I can just use my iPhone and not have to spend an extra $120/yr.

And seriously, what the hell is with the red dot on the crown?

14. julesme macrumors regular

Thank goodness there is a GIANT BRIGHT RED CIRCLE on the new Watch so I NEVER FORGET I HAVE THE LTE VERSION. /s

15. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

This might be picky, but I really do not like the red dot on the Digital Crown. Looks cheap and distracting in pictures (as in it draws my eye to the red dot and not the overall watch). I wish they had not done that.

16. McFlyOz macrumors member

McFlyOz

I’ll certainly be getting one when I can order it. Been wanting an :apple:watch for a while and this will help. Won’t need my phone when going on a run straight off the bat. $10 a month is not a big deal. Already pay heaps for the phones et al so this is cents...

Pity this site has gone through and made it so that I was not surprised by anything. Just nodding and saying “Yep, I knew that.” but, at least I watched it and got to abuse Philastine Schnillerhead.

17. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

The biggest question is: can it get any bigger or uglier on the wrist?

[​IMG]

18. Lemonsoon macrumors member

I would rather they focussed on making it 50% thinner instead of changing the connectivity
    I like the watch but I find myself taking it off more and more when I m at home because its bulky

19. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

you need to scribble in the email AND password. it took me two minutes to type a full sentence in the messages app using scribble. wonder how you're going to scribble in a lowercase o and capital O in the password.

20. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Exactly! This is going to be my first Iwatch purchase!
    I'm going to be able to make calls on my watch without my iPhone?!!
    Anyone remember STAR Trek? Beam me up Scottie!!
    People are complaining about paying .33 a day extra to do this?
    I dont know what the reviewers are smoking but it this doesn't become apples
    best selling watch so far I don't know what will put it over the top!

21. WLS, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

WLS macrumors 65816

The upgrade to a GPS only series 3 is not impressive. I have a series 0 and probably will upgrade to a series 2 after this rollout. Remember BB had the older model series0 for up to $300 off list and I expect to see something similar now for older series2. Looks like next year for that complete redesign.

22. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

still no round-dial?? Apple Watch 0, i'm keeping you for now.

sorry, I'm not paying 120 dollars per year for LTE, and from the time I have my Apple watch, I've recieved 0 calls from my watch, it's just dumb.

23. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

Agreed. I’d go so far as to say the Apple Watch Series 3 plus W2 chip headphones will be popular with Android users.

24. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Yes...I would’ve liked a thinner, non-LTE version as a option.

25. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

“The watch is useless without its own data connection”

*Apple watch gets LTE*

“Why does the watch need LTE?”