Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, iFixit completed a teardown of an Apple Watch Series 4 that said the 44mm model has roughly four percent more battery capacity, but that was compared to a 38mm-sized Apple Watch Series 3 model.

apple-s4.jpg

An eagle-eyed MacRumors reader has since pointed us towards Apple's Product Information Sheet, which contains battery capacities measured in watt-hours for several products, including Apple Watch Series 4 models. Apple appears to disclose this information for legal and safety reasons.

Based on Apple's document, Apple Watch Series 4 models actually have less battery capacity than the equivalent Series 3 models:Apple Watch Series 3 (42mm): 1.34 watt-hours
Apple Watch Series 4 (44mm): 1.12 watt-hours
Apple Watch Series 3 (38mm): 1.07 watt-hours
Apple Watch Series 4 (40mm): 0.86 watt-hoursMore specifically, the new 44mm Series 4 models have approximately 16.5 percent less battery capacity than the previous large-size 42mm Series 3 models. Likewise, 40mm Series 4 models have approximately 19.7 percent less battery capacity than the previous small-size 38mm Series 3 models.

Despite having smaller batteries, Apple says Series 4 models get the same all-day battery life of up to 18 hours that Series 3 models are rated for. We reached out to Apple in hopes of an explanation, but we have yet to receive a response.

What we do know is that Apple Watch Series 4 models use a new display technology named LTPO that improves power efficiency. The new Apple S4 system-in-a-package also has more efficient cores, so they presumably consume less power as well. Other components could be more efficient too.

In general, however, battery life is simply hard to predict. Different customers have different use cases. One user could be an athlete who is constantly working out with the Apple Watch, while another could be a more casual wearer who taps on a few notifications once in a while and not much else.

All in all, we wanted to clear up some confusion surrounding the Apple Watch Series 4 batteries. They pack less juice, not more, but seemingly without compromising battery life. Over time, we'll see if that's truly the case.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 4 Models Have Nearly 20% Less Battery Capacity Despite Same 'Up to 18 Hours' Battery Life

Reactions: johnnygee

jvanus

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
The biggest problem with my S0 is battery life. Why not keep the extra thickness and increase battery size?

If a phone's battery is too small; you can use it while its plugged in. A watch needs to last all day, and continue to last all day after a few years when the battery has degraded.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My wife's 40mm was at 100% charge Saturday morning. She put it on the charger with around 39% left on Sunday night. No exercise recorded because we went on a short trip. Watch is set to maximum brightness. Seems fine to me. My Series 0 was dead by Saturday around 6pm. My Series 4 can't arrive soon enough!

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Um 18 hours? I just wore my watch for 23 hours (and yes that includes using Sleep++ to track my sleeping) and my watch still had 65% battery left. I've been wearing my watch since 7 eastern and right now I have 88% left. I don't see why anyone couldn't get through a day easily with the series 4.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
The biggest problem with my S0 is battery life. Why not keep the extra thickness and increase battery size?

I always thought my S0 42mm had acceptable battery life, but my wife's S0 38mm was pretty abysmal. And despite being about the same thickness has the S0, the S4 has quite a bit more volume, so I don't think that's the issue.

I don't see why anyone couldn't get through a day easily with the series 4.

Like the article said, different people have different uses. If you work out several hours a day, for example, things could be very different.

DononyG2

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
KY/CIN

Earlier this week, iFixit completed a teardown of an Apple Watch Series 4 that said the 44mm model has roughly four percent more battery capacity, but that was compared to a 38mm-sized Apple Watch Series 3 model.

apple-s4.jpg

An eagle-eyed MacRumors reader has since pointed us towards Apple's Product Information Sheet, which contains battery capacities measured in watt-hours for several products, including Apple Watch Series 4 models. Apple appears to disclose this information for legal and safety reasons.

Based on Apple's document, Apple Watch Series 4 models actually have less battery capacity than the equivalent Series 3 models:Apple Watch Series 3 (42mm): 1.34 watt-hours
Apple Watch Series 4 (44mm): 1.12 watt-hours
Apple Watch Series 3 (38mm): 1.07 watt-hours
Apple Watch Series 4 (40mm): 0.86 watt-hoursMore specifically, the new 44mm Series 4 models have approximately 16.5 percent less battery capacity than the previous large-size 42mm Series 3 models. Likewise, 40mm Series 4 models have approximately 19.7 percent less battery capacity than the previous small-size 38mm Series 3 models.

Despite having smaller batteries, Apple says Series 4 models get the same all-day battery life of up to 18 hours that Series 3 models are rated for. We reached out to Apple in hopes of an explanation, but we have yet to receive a response.

What we do know is that Apple Watch Series 4 models use a new display technology named LTPO that improves power efficiency. The new Apple S4 system-in-a-package also has more efficient cores, so they presumably consume less power as well. Other components could be more efficient too.

In general, however, battery life is simply hard to predict. Different customers have different use cases. One user could be an athlete who is constantly working out with the Apple Watch, while another could be a more casual wearer who taps on a few notifications once in a while and not much else.

All in all, we wanted to clear up some confusion surrounding the Apple Watch Series 4 batteries. They pack less juice, not more, but seemingly without compromising battery life. Over time, we'll see if that's truly the case.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 4 Models Have Nearly 20% Less Battery Capacity Despite Same 'Up to 18 Hours' Battery Life

Graphikos

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
To be honest, I'm sure people would have preferred a slightly larger battery vs the 1mm reduction in thickness.

I guess speak for yourself. The battery life for my S4 LTE 44mm so far has been perfectly adequate. It's 2 pm and I'm still at 93%. My S0 would be dead in about 4 hours from now, but it's old so hardly worth comparing against.

For me, I'll take a smaller package with this kind of battery life.

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
I'd like to see which watch face along with complication that need app background refresh calculate & also the new walkie-talkie feature.

Theater mode is enabled, as its 1PM PST I'm at 76% from 100% this morning..

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
My series 4 seems to last about the same as my series 3 did. If I do a normal day at work and then use it to track a gym session, it hits about 50% by bedtime. If I skip the gym then it’s way higher.

In both the series 3 and series 4, I can easily get through two days between charges without doing anything to conserve the battery, so no problems whatsoever lasting a full day.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
I'm seeing the same battery life (once the initial tidying/caching/etc post-install was done).

I'm happy that the smaller Apple Watch has a bigger battery though. My wife's smaller 38mm never lasted as long as mine. Now it will. That's great.

I can still do 6 hour trail runs with mine and it always goes on the charger at night. No big deal.

Reactions: SantaFeNM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.