Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+ Models Have Slightly Later October 5 Launch Date

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Apple Watch Series 4 officially launches on Friday, September 21 in the first wave of countries, but like last year, customers interested in Nike+ models will have to wait a couple of weeks longer.

In fine print, Apple announced that new Series 4 models of Apple Watch Nike+ will be available in limited quantities starting Friday, October 5, although Apple Watch Nike+ pre-orders still start tomorrow, September 14, like regular Series 4 models.

[​IMG]

The new Apple Watch Nike+ devices come with all the features new to the Series 4 models, including a larger screen, thinner body, a (currently U.S-only) ECG reader, fall detection, and more.

In addition, the Nike+ collection features redesigned Nike watch faces that match to the new band colors, including a Pure Platinum/Black Sport Band and a Summit White Sport Loop with reflective yarn.

Apple Watch Nike+ comes in four styles in both 40mm and 44mm sizes, with both cellular and Wi-Fi + GPS only models to choose from:
    [*]Silver Aluminum Case with Pure Platinum/Black Nike Sport Band
    [*]Space Grey Aluminum Case with Anthracite/Black Nike Sport Band
    [*]Silver Aluminum Case with Summit White Nike Sport Loop
    [*]Space Grey Aluminum Case with Black Nike Sport LoopApple Watch Nike+ models are priced between $399 and $499 in the United States. Additional Nike+ bands are $49 each.

Launch countries include Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Macau, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UAE, the U.K., and the U.S.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+ Models Have Slightly Later October 5 Launch Date

2. donster28 macrumors 68000

The usual Apple strategy to entice us to buy the scraps (or the more expensive ones) first and receive them earlier...LOL.

3. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

What Nike exclusive faces are available on the Series 4 model? Obviously, it has the new analog face. Is there also a new digital face? Are the digital and analog Nike faces from Series 3 also available?

4. tharitm macrumors member

tharitm

I was actually looking at getting the Nike+ model, I guess I'll go with the regular then.

5. donster28 macrumors 68000

Another victim of the "I gotta have them now" bug spread by Apple! ;)

Honestly, what's a couple of weeks wait?

6. ELman macrumors member

Agree, having the extra faces is a nice bonus for a couple weeks wait.
    I'm glad I did with my series 3 LTE. It gave Verizon a few weeks to figure adding a watch to my account. And they still had issues.

7. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

8. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Going to wait for this as well.

Might go the Best Buy route and trade in my AW3 42mm Nike w/LTE but they are only offering $125 while Apple is offering $225. Only perk would be points with Best Buy credit card purchase.

Decisions decisions...

9. donster28 macrumors 68000

Apple’s offer seem to be a better deal.

10. nattK macrumors member

My guess is that the delay is probably caused by the Nike Run Club app. The Apple Watch Nike+ Series 3 last year had a delayed launch too, and an update for the NRC app dropped around the launch of the new watch. The Nike team probably needed time to optimize the NRC app for the new Apple Watch and they could only do that once watchOS 5 is finalized, hence the delay.

11. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Do both colors of Nike bands have the reflective threading? Or is it just the white one?

12. mctrees02 macrumors regular

one gives you $100 more in trade value while the other gives you 5-6% of your net purchase price in store credit.

Even if you bought the $1500 Hermes and are BB Elite Plus status, you’re talking about $82.50 in credit vs Apple giving you $100 more in trade value.

13. ELman macrumors member

The Nike Watch Faces that you only get on the Nike Edition Watches.

14. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I know that, but I mean what in sam hell are the white backgrounds?

15. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Still waiting for the gold coloured Nike ones.

16. coolkid93 macrumors member

coolkid93

Honestly it’s a pure marketing strategy and a good one may I add lol

17. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

The backgrounds are multi-colored, gray is one of them. But I agree, not only does it use more power, it also highlights the new display in an unflattering way. The watch looks so much chunkier with that black bezel emphasized than when it disappears into the display with a black background.

18. MTD616 macrumors newbie

Are you able to get the regular AW4 faces with these Nike watches? I really The new face with the all the different info shown at once.

19. urbanslaughter1997 macrumors regular

I currently have a Series 2 in Stainless Steel. I like the Stainless Steel, but I like some of the advantages of the Nike version too. I just don't love the aluminum case. Can anyone help me decide between the two options?

20. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I had a stainless S0, and an aluminum S3. I vastly preferred the Aluminum S3 because it was so much lighter, and the resale value held up much better. I had no issues with the screen scratching, but got AppleCare+ (which also helped the resale value a lot).

21. triton100 macrumors 6502

What in Sam hell are you going on about It’s a watch face. Get over it

22. MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

I’m not preordering then. Apple did this last year with the Nike+ watches and they showed up in local stores before my preorder arrived. So I’m going to wait for in-store pickup. :)

23. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Yeesh. It doesn't even bother me, I just think it's beyond ugly.

24. triton100, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

triton100 macrumors 6502

Fair enough. I kinda like the nike faces though. Look on the Apple store. They have alternative colours too. It’s Just something a little different that you get with this version over the otherss.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Really What you’re purchasing is aesthetics. The aluminum model has the Ion-X glass, which is not nearly as protective as the sapphire display with the stainless steel models. The Nike version has some advantages with the band watch faces, App, etc. I also don’t care for the aluminum case, I think it feels cheap to me, I like the weight of the stainless steel and the Sapphire display is by far the biggest selling point for me.