Apple Watch Series 4 to Feature Redesign, Longer Battery Life and 15% Larger Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Watch Series 4 models set to be released this fall will feature a new design and a display that's 15 percent larger, according to predictions shared by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in a new note that was sent out to investors this morning (via 9to5Mac).

In addition to a new design with larger displays, the new fourth-generation Apple Watch models will feature a longer battery life enabled through more battery capacity and improved health monitoring capabilities. The display size of the watch could increase due to smaller bezels, and it's not quite clear what impact a larger display would have on physical device size.

[​IMG]

The Apple Watch's design has remained unchanged since the first-generation Apple Watch was introduced in 2015, so a redesign three years later in 2018 would make sense.

Kuo also does not go into detail about what new health monitoring capabilities the fourth-generation Apple Watch might offer. Rumors have suggested Apple is exploring a sensor that would allow for continuous electrocardiograph monitoring to better detect serious heart conditions.

Apple is also pursuing a method for non-invasively monitoring blood glucose levels, but that technology seems to be a bit away and may not make it into a 2018 Apple Watch update.

Ming-Chi Kuo often shares accurate predictions about Apple's plans, so it's likely we can expect to see some kind of Apple Watch redesign this year. We'll be hearing more about Apple's plans as the watch's likely September release date gets closer.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 4 to Feature Redesign, Longer Battery Life and 15% Larger Display

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I think the Apple Watch is the one Apple product that could stand to be a little thinner, provided there's no impact to battery life.

3. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I'm good with a redesign as long as all of my bands are still compatible.

4. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

5. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

Bigger display? Why not make an armband for the iPhone like in the video game fallout 3.

6. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

ugh, please don't make it much bigger. Women don't want a big-azz watch on their wrist like some douchebag with a huge Rolex trying to impress the ladies *eyeroll*

7. MarcMller macrumors regular

8. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

And this is when I'll finally upgrade my Series 0 :)

9. LandRovers macrumors member

LandRovers

I've been waiting to get an Apple Watch, and if this Series 4 really adds a larger screen, I'll be picking one up.

10. MarcMller macrumors regular

Damn you lol

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think it’s fairly evident Apple will keep the current band port design being they just refreshed the watchbands today. The Apple Watch band port is executed perfectly and Apple knows they have a small monopoly with Watch bands.

12. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

13. legacyb4 macrumors 6502a

Which is a perfectly good watch capable of running for at least another 2 years, if not more...

14. CC77 macrumors newbie

CC77

Larger display as in larger case size or smaller bezels? Latter: okay fine; former: hard pass. My 38mm is already a smidge bigger than I'd prefer on my tiny tiny wrist

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

For Me, I personally like the thickness of the Apple Watch. ESpecially with the stainless model, gives it a nice weight to it and I never had an issue with how thick it was. I’m also ready for a redesign after three generations of the same Apple Watch.

16. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

The display size of the watch could increase due to smaller bezels

Finallly... an Apple product where decreasing bezels actually makes the most sense. If it’s also thinner then I may be interested in buying one.

17. newtestleper macrumors 6502

The current Apple Watch isn’t the same design as the original one.

18. The Don Onez macrumors member

How does it feel to able to speak for all women everywhere? That's a heavy burden.

19. Lazy macrumors 6502

All I need from a redesign to motivate me to buy one is for it to be thinner.

20. DadBod630 Suspended

You must drink a lot of soy milk

21. ztw2002 macrumors regular

22. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Wow I may finally want to buy an Apple Watch now. Just hoping they make a round one too.

23. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

24. cknibbs macrumors regular

I think it’s clearly obvious a larger display does not equal a larger watch. There is a large amount of room to increase display size by decreasing bezel size.

25. enc0re macrumors regular

Give me a round option and I will buy. Just do the usual and most sincerely flatter a Dieter Rams design.

[​IMG]