Apple Watch Series 4 Wins 'Displays of the Year' Award

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Apple Watch Series 4 was today named one of the Displays of the Year by The Society for Information Display (SID) during the 2019 Display Industry Awards announced at Display Week, a yearly symposium and trade show.

The Displays of the Year awards highlight "the high-quality innovative work taking place in the display industry at every level." The specific category the watch won focuses on "the most significant technological advances and/or outstanding features."

[​IMG]

The Apple Watch Series 4 received an award because it features an OLED display that's 30 percent larger than the previous display, without an increase in device size. Additionally, it uses a new display technology called LTPO for improved efficiency, leading to longer battery life.
    The 2019 awards cover products that were available for purchase during the 2018 calendar year, and no other Apple devices received awards this year. Last year, both the iPhone X and iPad Pro won "Displays of the Year" awards.

Other 2019 winners include Samsung for "The Wall" modular microLED 8K display, and Sony for its Crystal LED Display System that also uses microLED technology.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 4 Wins 'Displays of the Year' Award

2. afir93 macrumors 6502a

afir93

Well deserved, IMO. The bigger screen was easily the best thing about upgrading from the S2 to S4 for me.

3. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I love my series 4 40mm

But people with significant light bleed (thankfully not mine) and those sensitive to the more blue off axis tint may disagree

4. -DMN- macrumors newbie

-DMN-

Honestly, I would of thought the Touch Bar would of held that honor! Guess I can stop holding my breath now!!!

5. Joniz macrumors regular

Actually, they spent the past few days scratching “Samsung Fold” off the front of the trophy.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

30 percent lager helped me see the watch better but I could use another 30, my eyes are getting old.

7. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

had mine replaced due to light bleed. talked with apple chat and they sent out a shipment box the next day. got a replacement in 4 days.

8. coolfactor macrumors 601

Well deserved. The Series 4 (my first watch) is absolutely incredible. Honestly, how do non-Apple Smartwatches stack up in terms of sheer integration among devices? I find it amazing that I'm watching Netflix on my phone and my watch becomes a remote. Or how Do-Not-Disturb mode is shared. Or alarms. Truly a seamless experience.

9. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The larger display in the Apple Watch 4 is a major reason why I decided to give in and buy my first Apple Watch. The Best Buy sale helped too.

10. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

Love my 4. Display is awesome while running. Can't wait for the 5. Used to update iPhone with every model, but now I only do that with the Watch.

11. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

I feel naked without mine, I love not having to look at my phone all the time for basic things like the time.

12. JetTester macrumors 6502

Well deserved. The Apple Watch 4 is a fantastic device, and the display is awesome!

13. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

And is the replacement better?

14. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Display is nice, but the best feature is the cellular. It’s awesome that I can forget my phone sometimes and not worry about missing any important texts, calls and emails.

15. ricktat macrumors 65816

To me the Series 3 now looks like an Iphone 4 screen.

It's such a small amount but the Series 4 makes a big difference to me.

16. dgdosen macrumors 68000

dgdosen

Am I the only one who thinks those watch faces are ugly?

17. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

A 30% bigger screen that let me keep my existing watch bands I had purchased made me very happy when I upgraded to a S4.

18. rpat701 macrumors regular

I didn't think I'd ever get rid of my Garmin but I like my 44mm AW4. Plus, I got a great deal at Costco on it.

19. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Display of the YEAR with this grayish unevenness ?!?!?! I love my AW4 but the Display is not on par with the older generations!

20. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

21. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

My Series 4 is like a completely new product compared to my Series 0. Seriously impressive work to get it this far in only a few years, especially when you look at the competition which is still mostly comprised of chunky huge smartwatches. My Apple Watch usage easily tripled with this new iteration. Honestly, it's probably the reason the battery on my XS is so good. I use it for lots of quick interactions. It's 3pm and my XS is at 86%. And while the speed boost was huge, the real increase in usability is the larger display size. I'd still like them to introduce an XL size that is like 4mm bigger.

22. The_Martini_Cat macrumors member

The_Martini_Cat

Myself I would go for 100 percent lager.

23. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Upgraded my series 3 ceramic edition 40mm to the series 4 44mm and could not be happier just wish series 4 came in ceramic

24. mudflap macrumors 6502

mudflap

I wish Apple would let me run the new display on my Series 1. Yeah, it's a bit small but my eyesight is the only thing on my aging body that still works. I miss jailbreaking :(