Apple Watch Series 4 Wins 'Displays of the Year' Award

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I've wanted a fitness tracking watch for a while now and saw a gym dude tracking his stuff on a watch and assumed it was an Apple Watch. Looking online I saw 3 others it could've been such as Garmin, Polar, Apple Watch.
Being an Apple fan I'd prefer an Apple product but after noticing the poor battery life (just a few hours, really?) I decided to go with Fitbit. It gets 7 full days of battery life and only costs $120.

I'll save my Apple money for a Mac Pro. Those were supposed to be out by now, weren't they?

richard371

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2008
Agreed best display outside of my Rolex short of the uneven light luminosity from left to right.

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
Does the 40mm feel any bigger than the 38? I have small wrists, and the 38 is already a bit bulky on me.
You ideally want your Apple watch lugs just slightly around or just before where your wrist breaks around the curve. If it hangs too much over, it will look too big and goofy.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Love my 4. Display is awesome while running. Can't wait for the 5. Used to update iPhone with every model, but now I only do that with the Watch.
I love my 4 also. I'm on my 3rd Apple Watch right now as I skipped every other generation. Whether I buy an AW5 or wait for the AW6 will all depend on what Apple adds this Fall. I am hoping they give me a good enough reason to upgrade :)

Reactions: MisterSavage

cylack

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
McAllen, TX
Love my series 4. I waited for the EKG feature so didn’t buy an earlier model. Use this app called “Zones” on it that works perfectly for Orange Theory Fitness so I didn’t need to buy the heart rate monitor band at OTF.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
not perfect, but i no longer notice the light bleed in typical use cases. i can still see a slight light bleed if i'm in a 100% dark room and i look at the list of apps.
Mine has light "bleed" on the right edge that makes the list of apps look like it has a gradient. I have AC+ so will probably do an express replacement just before the new model drops

MisterSavage

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2018
I love my 4 also. I'm on my 3rd Apple Watch right now as I skipped every other generation. Whether I buy an AW5 or wait for the AW6 will all depend on what Apple adds this Fall. I am hoping they give me a good enough reason to upgrade :)
Lol, we think alike. I love my S4 but I love getting new gadgets also.

IIGS User

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2019
I have the 4 and it's one of my favorite gadgets. I love being able to leave my phone on the wireless charger in my bedroom and still get calls and texts. I use Apple Pay all the time, and recently used my watch with my phone for navigation. I also have a heart condition so the heart rate and EKG function are great for me. No problems with the screen or otherwise.

Reactions: MisterSavage

mudflap

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
There's some speculation that the processor in earlier watches is not sufficient to update all the complications in real time. Because otherwise, there's no reason to restrict it, especially on the 42mm watch, which is essentially the same size display as the new 40mm display, so it would be no harder to see than it is now. And up to the 38mm customer as to whether they could otherwise see it or not. Some would use it, some wouldn't.
That was my next question. Does the smaller watch have a bigger display than my large series one? I thought may be it was because Apple thought the fonts would be to small. But perhaps it's a battery life and processor power thing?
I'm not complaining, I still love my watch, and I don't exactly need LTE, but boy those newer faces with all those complications make me drool.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
this one seems a bit... like someone paid to be rewarded..

"display of the year"... yet isn't really innovative. Doesn't do anything above and beyond existing display techs.

Don't get me wrong, the 4 esries display > all that came before. it's the best Apple watch display yet. But it's not exactly unique as a display. especially when you compare that it's just a small square oled, when there are far more unique displays out there of high quality, but pushing other boundaries (like different shapes, different sizes, etc).

So giving "the display of the year" to a small. square, run of the mill OLED display really REALLY reeks of paid sponsorship.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I really enjoy my Apple Watch. I got my original Apple Watch on launch day and I’ve worn it everyday since. I’m on my third Apple Apple Watch (0,3,4) now. It depends on what features they bring with the series 5. If they are compelling I’ll upgrade but if not I won’t.
I think if they bring in sleep monitoring that would be an automatic upgrade for me.

Reactions: orbital~debris

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
England, UK, Europe
I really enjoy my Apple Watch. I got my original Apple Watch on launch day and I’ve worn it everyday since. I’m on my third Apple Apple Watch (0,3,4) now. It depends on what features they bring with the series 5. If they are compelling I’ll upgrade but if not I won’t.
I think if they bring in sleep monitoring that would be an automatic upgrade for me.
How well do you find the display quality of your first gen./series 0 compares with your series 4 watch, @Shanghaichica?

I’ve just done that upgrade and the colours on my series 4 seem quite a bit less vibrant and not so deep. I was also expecting it to seem way brighter given the brightness increases over time since the OG.

I had the stainless steel model for my first gen. (aluminium + Ion-X glass for series 4), so I’m wondering if maybe the sapphire glass cover made a difference to the OLED’s light diffraction?

Last edited: