Apple Watch Series 6 and watchOS 7 to Feature Watch Face Sharing, Parental Controls and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Along with the ability to detect blood oxygen saturation, the Apple Watch Series 6 and watchOS 7 are also expected to bring new watch faces, watch face sharing capabilities, and more.

In a new report out today that's based on code found in leaked iOS 14 snippets, 9to5Mac shares upcoming Apple Watch features.
  • Share Your Face - watchOS 7 will allow users to share specific watch face configurations with one another.
  • Infograph Pro Watch Face - There's a new Infograph Pro watch face that includes a tachymeter. A tachymeter can be used to compute speed based on travel time.
  • Photos Watch Faces - In watchOS 7, watch faces created from photos can be made using a shared album in addition to individual photos and groups of photos from albums.
  • Parental Controls - watchOS 7 will add features for managing an Apple Watch for a child with a parent's phone.
  • Schooltime - Allows parents to manage which apps and complications can be used during specific hours.
  • Control Center - Control center will feature new toggles for sleep mode and noise detection.
  • Architecture - In watchOS 7, apps are no longer based on extensions, which is a holdover from when apps required a phone app to function. That was eliminated in watchOS 6, and now in watchOS 7, apps will not have an extension base.
Apple Watch Series 6 and watchOS 7 are expected to include a sleep tracking feature, which has been rumored many times before. The feature is allegedly confirmed within the iOS 14 code, and a user will be able to set a personalized sleep goal in the Health app on iPhone, which will also offer up recommendations for improving sleep.

Details on watchOS 7 will be unveiled at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, but anything that also requires Apple Watch Series 6 will be hidden until the fall when new Apple Watch models are expected to debut.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 6 and watchOS 7 to Feature Watch Face Sharing, Parental Controls and More

Last edited:

Mo 1959

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
My Garmin tracks my sleep and has a battery that lasts over a week rather than 18 hours. I enjoy my other Apple stuff, but really need at least 2 days battery life before I would think about a watch.

nicho

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2008
  • Parental Controls - watchOS 7 will add features for managing an Apple Watch for a child with a parent's phone.
Allow setup from a parent's phone and we're talking. However, I fear this is just an extension of "screen time" for ios/mac devices.

Reactions: Tarantularock

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The ‘Infograph Pro Watch Face’ sounds interesting. Apples proprietary watch faces always have some type a ‘unique Identifier’ to them, and this one specifically can be used to compute speed based on a time equivalent. Sounds nerdy, but I like it.😁

TheSkywalker77

macrumors demi-god
Sep 9, 2017
Infograph Pro Watch Face - There's a new Infograph Pro watch face that includes a tachymeter. A tachymeter can be used to compute speed based on travel time.
And here we see Apple once again using their favourite word, pro.
- - Post merged: - -

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Architecture - In watchOS 7, apps are no longer based on extensions, which is a holdover from when apps required a phone app to function. That was eliminated in watchOS 6, and now in watchOS 7, apps will be not have an extension base.
That's a bit hard to parse, if I'm being honest.

Just sayin...

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
My Garmin tracks my sleep and has a battery that lasts over a week rather than 18 hours. I enjoy my other Apple stuff, but really need at least 2 days battery life before I would think about a watch.
100% agree with this. DW recently got an Apple Watch 5 and I bought a Garmin Forerunner 945. My Garmin has sleep tracking functionality and ~ 7 days usage (in my current usage mode), while her AW gets < 24 hours (she gets a LOT of texts and notifications). Until Apple can extend battery life to a couple days, it’s a non-starter for me...no matter how nice the screens/apps/integration is.

Reactions: Mo 1959

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That's a bit hard to parse, if I'm being honest.
Agreed.

The short of it is that up until recently, apple watch "apps" were always essentially part of an iPhone app. There always had to be a corresponding app on your iPhone, and the code always was part of an iPhone app project in Xcode.

For the past year or so, you could write stand-alone iPhone apps.

It sounds like, going forward, stand-alone will be the only way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.