Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch Series 7 will reportedly feature blood glucose monitoring via an optical sensor, according to ETNews.

bloodoxygenapplewatch.jpg

The report, which mainly focuses on the blood glucose capabilities of the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, explains that Apple is intending to bring blood glucose monitoring to the upcoming Apple Watch Series 7 using a non-invasive optical sensor.

Measuring blood glucose levels, also known as blood sugar levels, is vital to managing conditions such as diabetes. Normally, measuring blood glucose requires testing a drop of blood in a blood sugar meter or using an implanted continuous glucose monitor (CGM). The ability to observe any major increases or decreases in blood glucose may raise awareness of a potential health condition or simply help to improve a user's diet.

Apple is said to have secured patents around blood glucose monitoring, and the company is now purportedly "focusing on securing reliability and stability prior to commercialization of the technology." The Apple-designed optical sensor is believed to be a skin-top continuous monitoring solution that does not require an implant.

Rumors suggest that Apple has been interested in adding blood glucose monitoring to the Apple Watch for some time. The company reportedly established a team of biomedical engineers and consultants specifically working on sensors for non-invasively monitoring blood sugar levels in 2017, and work on the sensor reportedly progressed to trials at clinical sites in the San Francisco Bay Area. Apple CEO Tim Cook has even been spotted testing what was believed to be a prototype glucose monitor connected to his Apple Watch.

Apple has added new health-oriented features to the Apple Watch in recent years, such as the ability to measure blood oxygen levels or take an ECG. Late last year, Tim Cook teased the future of the Apple Watch, saying that the device is still "in the early innings," with Apple testing "mind blowing" capabilities in its labs. "Think about the amount of sensors in your car," said Cook, adding "and arguably, your body is much more important than your car."

The Apple Watch Series 7 is expected to arrive later this year, but there have been few rumors around what the new models may feature. While there have been reports of microLED displays and solid-state buttons with haptic feedback for the Apple Watch, these are not directly expected for the Apple Watch Series 7.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 7 Rumored to Feature Blood Glucose Monitoring

Last edited:

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
If this happens, it solidifies the idea that one NEEDS to buy and sell their Apple Watch every year or two at maximum. There’s simply too much gained between each generation... it’s still like the early years of iPhone model upgrades.

Each upgrade compounds the usefulness of the watch exponentially.

makitango

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
I would like them to weigh in on higher water resistance. Technically the rating largely suggests scuba diving activities but the product description does not. If there is something required engineering-wise for it to sustain (and measure) pressure under repeated use and they implememt it, that would be THE feature in the diving community.
The Apple Watch could open up functionalities most diving watches cannot. It could incorporate the aforementioned blood glucose data as well as blood oxygen, blood pressure and the likes. All that data combined with pressure/depth can offer more precise info towards deco stops, safety stops etc.

Biglethal69

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2019
Australia
Just wish they would bring the ECG and other features that are missing to Australia over the last two years that were promised before bringing any new features that we seem to never get anyway I won’t be buying another Apple Watch until they add these features just a waste of money Seems like anything can get past in the US and a lot of other countries without any real process.. I have a son with diabetes and this would be great but I wouldn’t recommend that this would happen in Australia for at least another five years if ever so over the promises of Apple and then never delivering except for the US.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The problem is that it would need to be very accurate. Putting health features into a smartwatch that people need in order to manage their health, isn't something that should be taken lightly.

That being said, Apple may be able to pull it off. My Apple Watch ECG is accurate when I go out on a run, however that isn't a health feature in the sense of needing it to be spot on accurate (as would be needed with diabetics)

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
If this feature ships at all, I wouldn't be surprised if it's too inaccurate to be good enough for diabetics.
Agreed. However, if this rumor is true, I doubt Apple would ship it if it weren’t accurate.

Unless they were to market is like blood oxygen sensor where it is not a medical reading etc.

Reactions: Richdmoore

A7ibaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
That would be the holy grail of smart watch features.

Why would someone want to prick for blood when they can just buy an Apple Watch?

It would also be good for those with increased risk.
You really think it would be reliable ?

Reactions: Huck

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If this feature ships at all, I wouldn't be surprised if it's too inaccurate to be good enough for diabetics.
You really think it would be reliable ?

This, a thousand times this. No way would this be as accurate as a Dexcom(which can/has to be recalibrated) or a actual glucose meter.
If Apple isn’t accurate enough, I don’t think this product can ship. Some part of the government would stop it, or Apple would be sued to oblivion after a few emergencies (some fatal) caused by people relying on the watch. Not to mention the cataclysmic PR that comes with killing and/or nearly killing people.

Tim Cook/Apple play it safe. If they’re shipping this, that means it works.

wbeasley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2007
How about bring out ECG options to Australia first??
Yes, it's crazy we dont have this yet. How many lives could this have saved? Plenty of stories from people who were warned something might be up so go to your doctor. I just dont get it.

This BSL function probably wont get thru either... the testing strips and machines currently cost enough and the ability to auto log values (like Activity now) thru the day would be invaluable in aged care and disability care and at home.

Reactions: Biglethal69

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Agreed. However, if this rumor is true, I doubt Apple would ship it if it weren’t accurate.

Unless they were to market is like blood oxygen sensor where it is not a medical reading etc.
Well, their EKG is basically that: good enough to get a rough idea if your heart is OK, but only barely good enough for regular monitoring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.