Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartfuk

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
Weeeeeeell… that's a semi-truth.

People have even started using glucose meters just to check their health while doing different diets; so saying that only medical usage would be useful is not 100% true. And a device like this going mainstream could have a real impact on diets, as well as warn people before they learn the hard way that they are diabetic.
So true. My older brother did not discover he was diabetic until his eye sight took a major downturn in a short period of time. Even after new corneas and regular injections to the back of the eye he is almost blind in one eye and has reduced vision in the other

He had no other underlying symptoms that suggested he should visit a doctor

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
As a diabetic, this would be the biggest buying factor of the apple watch S7.

I guess it will need approval from medical authorities.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
If this happens, it solidifies the idea that one NEEDS to buy and sell their Apple Watch every year or two at maximum. There’s simply too much gained between each generation... it’s still like the early years of iPhone model upgrades.

Each upgrade compounds the usefulness of the watch exponentially.
Very much disagree.
There hasn’t been a “must buy” Watch feature since the Series 4. The Series 5 had all the exact same sensors, the exact same CPU and GPU, just with an always on display and a compass.
The Series 6 had The oxygen monitoring, which has proven not to be the most accurate, and a faster processor, and some new color options.
If, and that’s a big if, the Series 7 can pull off accurate glucose monitoring, that would be amazing for people that need it. But outside of that, it sounds like basically another Apple Watch.
and I’m perfectly OK with that. Not having to change things every year shows that they got it right the first time.
Even the Series 3, if you can find it for under $150, is an absolute steal.
What‘s way more important to the watch, in my opinion, is making it cheeper, which is something that they have been very successful at the last couple years, and making it more accessible for more groups of people.
introducing the “kids and family watches” feature was a big step in doing that. The fact that I can get my kid an Apple Watch, but not a full on phone that gives them full access to the Internet, is absolutely amazing.
Next, they need to add the ability to activate an Apple Watch either without a phone, or with an iPad or iPod touch. That would be groundbreaking

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
So true. My older brother did not discover he was diabetic until his eye sight took a major downturn in a short period of time. Even after new corneas and regular injections to the back of the eye he is almost blind in one eye and has reduced vision in the other

He had no other underlying symptoms that suggested he should visit a doctor
About a week ago I got lost reading about semi-famous people on wikipedia; and there was this one person that went to the emergency room with flu symptoms, quickly got diagnosed with leukaemia, and died after two hours.

I don't remember who that was, but I'm so getting every new AW that has a sensor that potentially could save my life; and a blood glucose meter has been on my list of things that I want from my AW anyways.

Zhubajie

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
The Netherlands
While hypochondriacs should stay far away from these devices I see a bright future for smartwatches for semi-medical use.
It can help the elderly and people with specific problems (and it's great for gadget lovers).
However I doubt these devices will replace professional medical devices anytime soon.

Last edited:

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Would this be the same as the EKG functions where it gives you a warning that it won't detect heart attack and to consult a dr... It might detect signs of low Glucose but maybe not give a % per se.

Reactions: orbital~debris

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
accuracy is a concern, but technology is improving ... but first of all a feature like that would require FDA approval, and clinical trials would have to show that it is indeed accurate. I cannot see that Apple will make the AW a medical device

Reactions: urbanslaughter1997

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
A lot of people talking about the accuracy of this, and while I agree it’s important and ideal for it to be medically accurate, even if it gives me a relatively accurate reading this would still be life-changing for me as a diabetic. To know if my glucose is over 300 or below 200 when I wake up would still be huge even if it has a margin of error in the double digits.

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
This would be a great addition. It will help people that are borderline and don't realize they have diabetes. Like the ECG it's not intended to replace professional equipment.

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011

The Apple Watch Series 7 will reportedly feature blood glucose monitoring via an optical sensor, according to ETNews.

bloodoxygenapplewatch.jpg

The report, which mainly focuses on the blood glucose capabilities of the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, explains that Apple is intending to bring blood glucose monitoring to the upcoming Apple Watch Series 7 using a non-invasive optical sensor.

Measuring blood glucose levels, also known as blood sugar levels, is vital to managing conditions such as diabetes. Normally, measuring blood glucose requires testing a drop of blood in a blood sugar meter or using an implanted continuous glucose monitor (CGM). The ability to observe any major increases or decreases in blood glucose may raise awareness of a potential health condition or simply help to improve a user's diet.

Apple is said to have secured patents around blood glucose monitoring, and the company is now purportedly "focusing on securing reliability and stability prior to commercialization of the technology." The Apple-designed optical sensor is believed to be a skin-top continuous monitoring solution that does not require an implant.

Rumors suggest that Apple has been interested in adding blood glucose monitoring to the Apple Watch for some time. The company reportedly established a team of biomedical engineers and consultants specifically working on sensors for non-invasively monitoring blood sugar levels in 2017, and work on the sensor reportedly progressed to trials at clinical sites in the San Francisco Bay Area. Apple CEO Tim Cook has even been spotted testing what was believed to be a prototype glucose monitor connected to his Apple Watch.

Apple has added new health-oriented features to the Apple Watch in recent years, such as the ability to measure blood oxygen levels or take an ECG. Late last year, Tim Cook teased the future of the Apple Watch, saying that the device is still "in the early innings," with Apple testing "mind blowing" capabilities in its labs. "Think about the amount of sensors in your car," said Cook, adding "and arguably, your body is much more important than your car."

The Apple Watch Series 7 is expected to arrive later this year, but there have been few rumors around what the new models may feature. While there have been reports of microLED displays and solid-state buttons with haptic feedback for the Apple Watch, these are not directly expected for the Apple Watch Series 7.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 7 Rumored to Feature Blood Glucose Monitoring
I want to be really excited about this but all the Apple Watch features have turned out to be lackluster. Like the Oxygen sensor and the ability to predict V02 Max, its so inaccurate, its not even worth having. Other companies like Whoop have half the features the Apple Watch has but has a significantly better product because the features work and they give you insights based on your health data. The Apple Watch merely tells you things like "Your Heart Rate Variability is 84" but gives no indication of whether that's good, whether that's bad, or what things you could do to improve that. I expect that this feature will be exactly the same. Other companies are making constant glucose monitors that actually help you understand how the food you're eating is impacting you, I'm sure Apple's version of this will be a 1-10 glucose score with one end in the red and the other end in the green, and not give any real data or insights.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Do the rumours point to a new design this time around?
And if so, will they maintain backward band compatibility?

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
Would be great if true, but this would be the unicorn in the external sensor world to pull off.. transdermal interstitial blood glucose testing is still not proven out or validated enough to be depended on so I’m going to go out on a limb and say no WAY FDA approval would come for this. It would be even less of a novelty than the SpO2 sensor. Just buy DEXCOM already and build a truly useful medical ecosystem.

Reactions: mikemj23

eyetic

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2020
T1 Diabetic for 21 years now..got all my fingers full of black little dots of measuring my BG once or twice a day, lets do the math here:

21x2x365 = 14952 finger pricks ( for sure I've done more )

If either Apple or Samsung comes out with this kind of technology I'll be the first one in line even if it has a margin of error of +-20%.

For diabetics t1 or t2 this is a game changer as the CGM currently are, the main problem with CGM is that without insurance are very expensive and all the sensors have a span life of 10-15 days (there are some new ones with 6 months durability but are even harder to get under your skin)

BTW extracted from the Internet about the FDA accuracy needed for glucometers:
For glucose meters used by people with diabetes at home (“over-the-counter”), the FDA guidance specifies the following accuracy standards: 95% of all measured blood glucose meter values must be within 15% of the true value (a lab measurement); and. 99% of meter values must be within 20% of the true value

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
That would be the holy grail of smart watch features.

Why would someone want to prick for blood when they can just buy an Apple Watch?

It would also be good for those with increased risk.

I agree, and let's not forget the price for lancets and strips. If your insurance doesn't cover the cost those strips can be up to $75 for a pack of 60 ... and that's the low end brand. If you're diligent and test before or after each meal that's 3x a day, so about 20 days of strips.

Two months in and you're out $225.

The Watch would be an easy choice if it's accurate.

axcess99

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
This, a thousand times this. No way would this be as accurate as a Dexcom(which can/has to be recalibrated) or a actual glucose meter.
I am also very skeptical. Though it could still be very useful between blood tests even if it just provides enough of a ballpark to catch unexpected severe lows. I have a watch but no CGM and would upgrade in a heartbeat if just for an extra non-invasive safeguard.

Aside, I was under the impression that the G5 required calibration, but the G6 is advertised to not require that (caveat always check with an alternative method if results seem unlikely)

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
As excited as I am about something like this from the standpoint of a type 1 diabetic, I think that it would have a long way to go before it's a practical replacement for the Dexcom. The way insulin pumps are moving with tighter integration with CGM's, they need continuous readings every 5 minutes. Hard to imagine Watch being able to do this without draining the battery in short order. Then there's the question of timely notification of lows or highs, and, as a parent of two type 1 diabetics, the ability to get notified if my children's sugar is low is critical.

rippley5150

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2015
Sterling VA
This would be awesome!!! Being a Type 1 diabetic I like my Dexcom G6 but have had multiple sensor fails and sometimes the sensor doesn't come out of the applicator. The amount of plastic waste from a G6 applicator is pretty bad also.

I guess I'd have to get used to wearing a watch on the my right wrist as there is no way I'd ever give up wearing my Aquaracer. I really need a Monaco too lol

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I was counting the blood-sugar feature to still need a few years to come to the watch, so I ditched my s0 for a s6 this year and didn't wait for it (although the s0 still worked quite good). All in all, I'd feel some buyer's remorse if it really arrived with the series 7, because the s6 - with all it's new features - to feels just like a moderate update to the s0. but still, i wouldn't count on blood glucose arriving this year. we'll get a new design, and maybe blood glucose coming with the s8 in the US and then rolling out to other countries with the s9-s10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.