Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nymphe

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2009
I understand people want to see new things but please understand this is not a TV show where you have to be excited for the next season. I'm actually happy to see that Apple is re-using the design and improving some parts only so that we have a better device each year. In fact, I prefer to have a well established product instead of a total new design with many issues. I'm using Apple products since 1992, and I've been burned by first generation devices many times, including Macintosh LC (lack of MMU), First Intel Plastic MacBook (random shutdown), First Unibody Macbook 2008 (next revision had Firewire, illuminated keyboard, etc.), iPhone 6 Plus (in fact decent phone for a first gen)...

I'm using an Series 2 now, and probably the battery is dying because it shuts down during any excersice. Series 7 will be a huge update for me when the demand/production stabilizes.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
*paints over the 6 and scratches a 7 on the box* There ya go. They’ll never notice

It is probably quite difficult to have engineered the bigger screen.

I saw some photo's and the 7 has a lot bigger display area considering it's form factor is increased by 1mm in one direction.

I dislike all the complaining. You guys stop it, K?

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
About 6 mo the ago I started having battery issues with my S4 as in not lasting the day so upgraded to S6 and Stainless steel. The S7 is nice but not really worth an upgrade.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
About 6 mo the ago I started having battery issues with my S4 as in not lasting the day so upgraded to S6 and Stainless steel. The S7 is nice but not really worth an upgrade.
Care to sell me on why you wanted the upgrade materials?

About two months before my Apple Care ended I scratched my series 4. They replaced the whole thing and it gave me a revitalized battery. The agent misquoted me a $29 fee and Apple honored it. That made it really hard to upgrade to the series 6. I ended up ordering a blue aluminum this morning... but now that I have had some coffee I am considering canceling that order and just waiting for a stainless steel or titanium model.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Careful. Decisions made while under the influence can result in negative consequences. ☕️o_O
Lol. It's because I saw the SS gold 45 mm with Dark Cherry sport band and I started wondering if I could pull off gold.

Reactions: severe

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
It's heaver.

Yep - I had titanium and ceramic and they were fine.

I did notice that aluminum has always been lighter weight. It actually was one of the factors pushing me to go for lesser cheaper aluminum series 6 last year - and no regrets really.

probably it saved me money too - and I don’t care about saving money on these things. I did not destroy or even scratch the aluminum - however having said that it was a pandemic year so maybe I wasn’t banging around as much. Anyways who really cares - if I smash my aluminum series 7 big deal go buy another one. Is it worth getting AppleCare for something worth less than $1000 I don’t know. I did for a kids iPad but I didn’t for my iPhones or Apple Watch

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Because it is literally a Series 6. The display from prototype A was mounted to prototype B.
Isn't still basically a S4? The design hasn't changed since then. Apple is not going to do much to the case. What can they do really. They will add things inside every year. Don't expect drastic design changes.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Very often things are a matter of opinion and there’s no truly right or wrong answer.

But what you just posted is undeniably wrong.

Series 5 and Series 6 added actual new features. The 5 added an always on OLED screen and magnetometer. The 6
added a blood oxygen sensor, always on altimeter, and ultra-wideband.
I don't think either of us is right nor wrong. Yes the S5 and S6 introduced some new features, but so did the S7, and had a chassis redesign.

S7 upgrades from S6:
  • Larger screen
  • More crack and dust resistant screen
  • Fast charging
Upgrades have been incremental to the watch since its release.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Of course S7 is not worth an upgrade from S6. Most people keep their watches 2-3 years and then upgrade when they will get a bigger bang as you will probably see in coming from the S4. I’m also on an S4 and finally thinking about upgrading this year.

Reactions: Agile55

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The smaller 41mm Series 7 model is also 1mm wider than the 40mm Series 6 model, but the 44mm and 45mm models have the same width. Bands from older Apple Watch models continue to be functionally compatible with the Series 7, but these dimensions could indicate that older 38mm or 40mm bands used with the 41mm model may not be completely flush with the casing, although the curvature of the casing may mitigate this issue. This would not be a potential problem with the larger 45mm model since it has the same width as the 44mm model.
Apple is saying that the bands are compatible. Considering their passion for customer satisfaction, fit, finish, etc., I don't see them promising compatibility and then leaving some sort of gap/shortfall. They might get away with that with owners of the elastomer bands (well actually, I'm confident they wouldn't), but if I'd plunked down the bucks for Hermés....

While the MR analysis is plausible (that the 1mm difference in width for the 41mm model suggests the possibility of a band mismatch), the width of the First Generation-Series 3 38mm Watches was 33.3mm while the width of the Series 4-6 40mm was 34mm. No complaints about mismatches then.

From my perspective, it's all about how they radius the corners. Since the band attachment is on the inside of those corners, not at the maximum width of the case, it's completely possible to deliver the exact same width for the band attachments.

Reactions: Agile55

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I still have S4 SS Cellular with Milanese loop and looks brand new still with no issues.
I don't really use any apps on it and instead just mostly for notifications which come in very handy for my work so I can keep on top without having to pull out my iPhone constantly.

Nothing about the last several models have made me want to upgrade.

GregoriusM

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
I just don’t understand why Apple not only didn’t go flatter with the glass on the 7, but instead pushed to make it taller with more of a curve. It’s the curve itself that takes a lot of abuse from constant rubbing (from shirt sleeves), so why make it more pronounced? A flat glass lens would be far more protected, much like what you see on high end watches (my 15+ year old Seiko automatic with sapphire lens has zero scratches). I would think it would be beneficial to use flat glass or sapphire, for ease of production and it would reduce the distance to the oled screen as well.
The glass actually isn’t any taller. It’s just a bit thicker in the middle area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.