Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arnold Ziffel

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Titanium is significantly denser than aluminum: 4.5 g/cubic cm vs. 2.7 g/cubic cm for aluminum.

clapugean

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
hold on.. are you trying to tell me that a rumour based on speculations turned out not to be true?!? no way..

Reactions: Tagbert

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
If anything S5 and S6 were "S" cycles of S4.

I believe the vast majority would argue the always on display was singularly the biggest, most significant upgrade to the Watch since its release. Even a pending aesthetic design change won’t be as significant.

Barring some amazing, unknown, yet to be speculated on feature, I would hazard the fabled non-invasive blood sugar sensor would be the next most significant. If it ever happens.

To be clear, the S7 is obviously “our best Apple Watch yet” (eyeroll), and coming from S4 or older it’s a fantastic upgrade…but you’re kidding yourself if you think it’s a significant upgrade on more recent releases in any meaningful way.

Reactions: BigPotatoLobbyist

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Im upgrading from a Series 2. Call it what you want, its an upgrade for many. Certainly not for those with a 6, but for everyone else its a 7.
How is it not an upgrade from the ‘S6’? The screen is much better! That is a huge plus for a watch.

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Or, maybe, the S7 was planned to look like this all along and the flat edge design was always meant for next year.

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Or, maybe, the S7 was planned to look like this all along and the flat edge design was always meant for next year.

To believe that you must also believe that it was Apple’s deliberate plan to make no improvements to health sensors or the chipset for the first time in the history of the Watch. Quite a coincidence that this startling lack of ambition came alongside multiple sources leaking information about an alternate design with significant production issues.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I just don’t understand why Apple not only didn’t go flatter with the glass on the 7, but instead pushed to make it taller with more of a curve. It’s the curve itself that takes a lot of abuse from constant rubbing (from shirt sleeves), so why make it more pronounced? A flat glass lens would be far more protected, much like what you see on high end watches (my 15+ year old Seiko automatic with sapphire lens has zero scratches). I would think it would be beneficial to use flat glass or sapphire, for ease of production and it would reduce the distance to the oled screen as well.

Perhaps they want it to scratch so you buy a new one next year

• Haha
Reactions: subi257

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I don't think either of us is right nor wrong. Yes the S5 and S6 introduced some new features, but so did the S7, and had a chassis redesign.

S7 upgrades from S6:
  • Larger screen
  • More crack and dust resistant screen
  • Fast charging
Upgrades have been incremental to the watch since its release.
Almost all of any tech at this point will most likely be just incremental upgrades. There is not much earth shattering for these devices. As far as phone shape....of any brand, there is candy bar or flip, for watches/wearables....there is round, square or rectangle. At this point it will be all about sensors, functionality...IHO

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I just don’t understand why Apple not only didn’t go flatter with the glass on the 7, but instead pushed to make it taller with more of a curve. It’s the curve itself that takes a lot of abuse from constant rubbing (from shirt sleeves), so why make it more pronounced? A flat glass lens would be far more protected, much like what you see on high end watches (my 15+ year old Seiko automatic with sapphire lens has zero scratches). I would think it would be beneficial to use flat glass or sapphire, for ease of production and it would reduce the distance to the oled screen as well.
It's not taller, it's exact same as last year's S6. It's all about design esthetics, technically they can do a flat screen/glass, but then the metal case would have to be thicker or deeper and that would make it look more bulky. the device can be only so thin as to hold all of the components inside.

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Unless they buy a 20 Buck charger to go with their 400 Buck watch. Small price in comparison

Apple only says the fast charging works with the new charger in the box. Yes you need to also buy the $20 plug, but that won’t make older chargers work. Including Apple’s own $100+ MagSafe Duo.

Reactions: GregoriusM

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I think the flat design looks a little cheap
That render definitely looked a little cheap but remember that was not an actual Apple design. That was just a render done by someone based on a rumor. Small details and treatments can transform a mediocre design to a brilliant design. Have you ever seen the photos of stars with and without their makeup? Those details make a difference.

I don’t know if Apple was considering a flat-sided phone at one time or if they are planning for it in the future, but whenever we see these speculative renders, we need to keep in mind that they are not the real design.

Reactions: GregoriusM

phantom13

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2020
Im upgrading from a Series 2. Call it what you want, its an upgrade for many. Certainly not for those with a 6, but for everyone else its a 7.
The people who are mad about this are people who are slaves to brands/status and HAVE to purchase the latest product. Heaven forbid someone sees them whith a year old device. So they are mad they are being “forced” to buy the same product two years in a row where someone like you appreciates the incremental updates every year so when you do decide to upgrade its to the best possible product.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I’ve always had stainless steel AW since day one. I’ve upgraded to every new iteration and held on to my series 4. but decided it was time to upgrade to series 7. But this time I went with the midnight aluminum. I’m not concerned with aesthetics, but I am concerned with durability. I’m not too rough with it but it does get banged around occasionally at work and I am very OCD with even minor dents or scratches. I can polish my SS whenever I see some light scratches and it comes up brand new. Will the aluminum take a noticeably easier beating if it gets lightly bumped and banged?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.