Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 feature 64GB of storage, double the amount of previous generations.

Apple-Watch-Series-9.jpg

As listed on Apple's specifications page, all versions of the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 feature twice as much storage as their predecessors. The increase offers substantially more space for apps and media, and is presumably related to the all-new S9 chip, which brings significant performance and efficiency improvements to the Apple Watch.

The original Apple Watch, Series 2, and Series 3, had just 8GB of storage, increasing to 16GB on the Apple Watch Series 4. The Apple Watch Series 5 increased storage once more to 32GB, where it has remained through the Series 6, Series 7, and Series 8, making the Series 9 the first time the Apple has increased the device's storage in five years.

It is worth noting that only a proportion of the Apple Watch's storage is available for media like music and podcasts, since Apple caps it at 25% of the device's total storage pool. This means recent models have been unable to store more than 8GB of media. With the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2, users will be able to store 16GB of media.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 Feature 64GB of Storage

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Looking forward to been able to use the double tap feature. I think it will be a feature I will find useful. I've always been impressed with the brightness of the Ultra's display, so the AWU2 will be even better in that respect. It will be interesting to see how the S9 performs too.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Maybe they’ll allow us to store more than 5gb of music on it now. Not likely but hey I can store so many photos on my watch now 🙄

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Funny that it has the same storage as my iPad 10 and iPhone 11. I also the new chip made me worried my Series 8 might not get all the features of following WatchOS features in the future.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I wanted the Ultra 2 to have some new feature that I’d want, but can’t get on my Ultra. I like that new face, but that’s in the OS update. I like the cycling metrics, but that’s in the OS. Seems like the only things unique to the new one are:
- Faster processor - don’t think I’d notice the difference
- More memory - I have plenty of free memory on my Ultra
- Brighter screen - the old screen has always been plenty bright for me
- On-board Siri - I only use Siri to set timers for cooking
- The finger tapping thing - Ok, that might be useful

if they’d made it available in black… I’d have ordered the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.