Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
You could use it now. That's right, no new user features in Series 9. According to posts elsewhere it's already in Accessibility under a different name.

Thanks.

That's very odd, as it says on here:

"The Apple Watch Ultra 2 also has a new gesture that uses just the watch hand for when your hands are full. Double tap allows you to tap your index finger and thumb together to do things like answer a call, end a call, snooze an alarm, play or pause music, and more.

The new double tap gesture is enabled by the faster Neural Engine in Apple Watch Ultra 2, which processes data from the accelerometer, gyroscope, and optical heart sensor with a new machine learning algorithm. The algorithm detects the unique signature of tiny wrist movements and changes in blood flow when the index finger and thumb perform a double tap. Double Tap will be available next month, according to Apple"

Perhaps there are additional features available for this gesture, that are not available currently in the option in Accessibility under a different name.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
This article says “With the S9 chip, there's a new Double Tap gesture (coming in October)”. Which implies it is not the same.

Yeah that made me wonder the same. Perhaps there will be additional options available (once its enabled next month) which provide extra functionality from what is provided currently with the option in Accessibility?

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Yah. It made sense when the watch only had 4 or maybe 8 GB of Ram, to save space for the software updates, but now with 32 or 64 GB, it makes no sense at all. nd it's not like a phone where you can load it up with lots of other files.
Which makes me wonder, is there still some kind of legitimate rationale for why this is still the case? I mean, maybe something to do with the chip architecture that effectively hardwires the storage space into different categories, which can't be changed in the OS? I can't imagine that this is the case, but that's the only explanation I can come up with, besides it being a once legitimate (but now arbitrary and outdated) aspect of the OS that still exists either out of laziness, or because it's so deeply-rooted in the OS that it's difficult to remove.

It's maddening to have all that space, yet be prohibited from actually using it.

1984 Mac Guru

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
nyc
I was disappointed that AWU2 didn't come with a black version. I will still get the new version anyway.
There’s another discussion that has hundreds of same comme
The ultra 2 doesn’t have enough updates to make it worth upgrading from ultra 1…just a gimmick double tap. It’s cool, I wish they would’ve created a way to include that in a watchOS update…but to spend another $800 to get that feature? Not worth it. Especially when watch trade-ins are 1/10 of the cost. I feel the majority of people getting this will be series users that wanted the ultra 1. In my opinion, the majority of ultra 1 to ultra 2 users will be YouTubers 😂
i’m getting $90 for first generation SE that I only paid $215 for. That’s pretty good considering the immense convenience of sending an old device back to Apple.

Bornee35

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Canada
locking the improved find my capabilities to the UWB gen 2 chip is lame, the U1 has been doing via iPhone 12 Pro just fine.

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
That 25% restriction is ridiculous. What else am I gonna store on my Watch, seriously? And why was I allowed to store as much as I want before watchOS 7? What happened? I need to know.

Attachments

• 20201012_231348000_iOS_cut.png
    20201012_231348000_iOS_cut.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 58

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
That 25% restriction is ridiculous. What else am I gonna store on my Watch, seriously? And why was I allowed to store as much as I want before watchOS 7? What happened? I need to know.
Yeah, I can understand reserving a few GB for updates and other system stuff, especially in the early days of the Watch when storage was much more limited. But these current versions with ample storage? Even if you STILL want to reserve a few GB, fine... but to make only 25% of storage space available for what is the predominant thing that people can put on their watches (songs and podcasts) is a stunningly dumb restriction.

Reactions: bviktor

Alex.ne

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
This article says “With the S9 chip, there's a new Double Tap gesture (coming in October)”. Which implies it is not the same.
I have it already working on my AW7 (literally used it 5 seconds ago). It is called "quick actions". I can "answer a call, play and pause music, open a notification, and more" with a double pinch gesture. So technically it is looks like it is the same feature and it does not require S9 chip. Obviously when released, "double tap" will have different UI and set of available options.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpeg
    IMG_2273.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 32

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was disappointed that AWU2 didn't come with a black version. I will still get the new version anyway.
Same that would’ve been earth Vader vibes. Maybe Colorware will offer this?!

Imagine the day when we're going to be ordering Apple Watch Ultra 1TB.
Ooh yeah that’s when a much much smaller and less dorkier rendition of Apple Vision will debut and the watch can fully replace the iPhone for such users being a hub for the vision with audio voice input, scanning of text as alternative for input and sign language for input and live translation either to or from others.

Next major step for Apple audio.

For what?

For on device Siri, neural processing more complex apps that are larger, WatchOS with a LOT more features than ever before!?

Reactions: supremedesigner

zhtfreak

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2021
Reminds me to ask this question again.

If Watchos only lets you use 25% of the storage for media, I don't mind that, but I can't get much Music synced over to my series 5. Perhaps my settings need some tweaking.

Is it possible to set your phone to sync a subset of your music to fit in that alotted media storage size? I want my watch to act like my old iPod nano. Since that 4th gen nano only had 16GB, iTunes created a playlist that matched its capacity and populated it. I could then add and delete songs from it, and it would update on the nano whenever I plugged it in.

I don't think you can set up a smart playlist on your iPhone though. Is the only way to sync to the watch manually by selecting specific albums and playlists? I have my watch set to sync recently played music, but it only copies over about a gig worth of music. Would like to use the full 8GB that my series 5 allows, but not have to go through and select specific playlists.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
There’s another discussion that has hundreds of same comme

i’m getting $90 for first generation SE that I only paid $215 for. That’s pretty good considering the immense convenience of sending an old device back to Apple.

If your other AW4 is lost, stolen, or broken, it's better to keep this one as a backup. Luckily, we saved this AW4 as a backup when my other one broke for good.

Reactions: 1984 Mac Guru

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Maybe someone should start a petition on change.org and demand Apple to make the black version for AWU2. 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.