Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
What was this bull at the end of the Watch presentation. That buying an SE with a loop is only a GREEN product?

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
The ultra 2 doesn’t have enough updates to make it worth upgrading from ultra 1…just a gimmick double tap. It’s cool, I wish they would’ve created a way to include that in a watchOS update…but to spend another $800 to get that feature? Not worth it. Especially when watch trade-ins are 1/10 of the cost. I feel the majority of people getting this will be series users that wanted the ultra 1. In my opinion, the majority of ultra 1 to ultra 2 users will be YouTubers 😂

whatta

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
Same as iPad Air. Kind of ridiculous if you think about it
good point, fully agree. I do have an apple watch 5, 25 GB free storage.. iPad air is indeed rather low with 64GB. I was also hoping that iPhone 15 Pro will start at 256 GB..

Alex.ne

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
I wanted the Ultra 2 to have some new feature that I’d want, but can’t get on my Ultra. I like that new face, but that’s in the OS update. I like the cycling metrics, but that’s in the OS. Seems like the only things unique to the new one are:
- Faster processor - don’t think I’d notice the difference
- More memory - I have plenty of free memory on my Ultra
- Brighter screen - the old screen has always been plenty bright for me
- On-board Siri - I only use Siri to set timers for cooking
- The finger tapping thing - Ok, that might be useful

if they’d made it available in black… I’d have ordered the new one.
The "'exclusive" finger tapping thing is a pure marketing. It already functions in older models, only as an Accessibility feature.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
The "'exclusive" finger tapping thing is a pure marketing. It already functions in older models, only as an Accessibility feature.
Apple promoted it for WatchOS 8, and did a full video on how to set it up over on the “Apple Support” YouTube channel.

The UI might be different. But everything they showed off can be done with gesture controls in WatchOS 8.3 and forward.

Reactions: Alex.ne

JCarmona

macrumors regular
May 23, 2014
I'm struggling to define if the Series 9 is worth it. I have a Series 6; I wanted to upgrade and give my mom the Series 6 (so she can measure Blood Oxygen and ECG); but the Series 8 (or even 7) look like a good option in a sale.

I hate how Apple has the comparison between Apple Watch models. https://www.apple.com/uk/watch/compare/

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Looking forward to been able to use the double tap feature. I think it will be a feature I will find useful. I've always been impressed with the brightness of the Ultra's display, so the AWU2 will be even better in that respect. It will be interesting to see how the S9 performs too.
You could use it now. That's right, no new user features in Series 9. According to posts elsewhere it's already in Accessibility under a different name.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

The Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 feature 64GB of storage, double the amount of previous generations.

Apple-Watch-Series-9.jpg

As listed on Apple's specifications page, all versions of the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 feature twice as much storage as their predecessors. The increase offers substantially more space for apps and media, and is presumably related to the all-new S9 chip, which brings significant performance and efficiency improvements to the Apple Watch.

The original Apple Watch, Series 2, and Series 3, had just 8GB of storage, increasing to 16GB on the Apple Watch Series 4. The Apple Watch Series 5 increased storage once more to 32GB, where it has remained through the Series 6, Series 7, and Series 8, making the Series 9 the first time the Apple has increased the device's storage in five years.

It is worth noting that only a proportion of the Apple Watch's storage is available for media like music and podcasts, since Apple caps it at 25% of the device's total storage pool. This means recent models have been unable to store more than 8GB of media. With the Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2, users will be able to store 16GB of media.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 Feature 64GB of Storage
It's underwhelming to say the least, the only two new & useful things, are the finger tap feature and the extra brightness.
BTW the whole presentation was boring, fake and cringe worthy at times 😏

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I still don't understand why this is.
Yah. It made sense when the watch only had 4 or maybe 8 GB of Ram, to save space for the software updates, but now with 32 or 64 GB, it makes no sense at all. nd it's not like a phone where you can load it up with lots of other files.

SilverWalker

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2021
What in the world is Apple using the other 48GB for?

Surely now that it's increased to 64GB they will increase the percentage cap.
I recon it may have something to do with wear levelling of the ssd, in order to maintain longevity of the device. It may also be that next year the use the same chip but unlock some of the storage for user space - and use it as a selling point. I guess we shall see.

Rossmon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2022
Marin County
I bought the Ultra 1 last August and returned it at the end of 10 days after hearing all the rumors for the 2nd iteration. It surprised me that The Ultra was already going to have an upgrade but fortunately as a long time techie had my ear to the ground. Ordered the 2 today. Curious to hear if it's weighs less!
That was my main issue but certainly not a deal breaker. I welcome the even brighter big beautiful display as the Ultra 1 started taking the place of my iPhone or Mac for many eyes on uses with the big display. Messaging, email, notifications even web pages were now accessible on the watch and that’s terrific for a wearable!
I’m 74, my eyes are still pretty good. Don’t need reading glasses and the hi vis of the Ultra is a real game changer for me. Also a diver and welcomed more complexity to the depth function but still hoping to see the dive computer app offered as a one time purchase like most any other dive computer instead of a rental before I would buy.
The new processor is very exciting with many welcome changes that I’m sure will showcase new little performance/ability jewels as I get familiar with the day to day use and explore the apps once again! Can’t wait for delivery on the 22, one week before my birthday!

PS
The new digital "Swiss Army Knife” looking face looked terrific!
The Ultra Wideband chip sounds fantastic! Just wait until you get older and try using your watch to find the lost iPhone! Once one's hearing starts going south, you can hear the ping and keep searching and searching for wherever exactly the sound is coming from, even in the same room!
Don’t laugh, this is one of the new realities once you become middle aged and have listened to, too much rock n roll all your life...

Reactions: roguefury

rodimusprime

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2019
I’ve been waiting for increased watch storage for so long! I always hit the limit on my offline music playlists, podcasts and audiobooks on it. So exciting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.