Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Maybe they should focus on battery than display size. I want a watch to run a week without charging. Put more effort into environmental friendly products and reduce charging amounts which needs energy.
A doubling of battery life would be the biggest improvement.

Yes, new health sensors are cool. But the more they add without really making the SiP much faster or the battery bigger is just more drain on the battery.

Seeing how many burden themselves with the price and size of the Ultra primarily to get that extra juice makes it quite clear what the standard and SE Watch has been lacking since Gen 1.

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
My battery is still absolutely fine for one day, but i used to be able to easily get through 2.5 days. The S5-8 mew features just don’t dp anything for me. I’d turn the AOD off to save battery anyway, the blood oxygen sensor is horribly inaccurate (as is the temperature sensor). The bigger display is largely pointless. there may be other meaningless features that i have forgotten. I just doubt my S4 will be able to last until Sep/Oct 2024.
thousands of people would disagree that a bigger display is pointless. The difference between my series 3 and series 7 is substantial and I would never go back to the smaller display of the series 3. If you are over 50 years of age you can really appreciate the difference of a bigger display.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
thousands of people would disagree that a bigger display is pointless. The difference between my series 3 and series 7 is substantial and I would never go back to the smaller display of the series 3. If you are over 50 years of age you can really appreciate the difference of a bigger display.
I was talking about my own viewpoint. Of course there are benefits to a bigger screen, but they aren't significant. Even the 44mm of my S4 vs the 49mm Ultra isn't that big in practice based on my own testing.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
In some ways, the Series 4 which introduced the ECG capabilities was the big jump. Maybe I will upgrade next year, probably will go with the best which is the Ultra.
Agreed about the series 4. It also brought a much bigger screen and faster processor with more RAM and storage. That was a major jump in the Watch.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

gmarm

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Berlin
I guess they don't have any goal of improving battery life since they're gonna be increasing display sizes. Sad. :(

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I just picked up an Ultra last week and I'm wearing it right now. I am very happy with it. I upgraded from a series 4 and the upgrade is signifigant.

That being said, this thing doesn't need to be any bigger than it already is. I have giant man hands (I'm 6' 3" and have the provided waterworld band set on the third hole, so I'm a big guy) and it's big enough. Any bigger would make it cumbersome, even for a person my size. There's no need to make this thing any bigger.

I am very very happy with my Ultra Watch after about a week or so. It would be hard to improve on it, IMHO.

they won't but if you look at your new Ultra and put a watch-face that fills the entire screen with color you'll notice the MASSIVE black bezels. The Ultra is only 1-2% larger in screen space than the 45mm Series 8 because of these huge bezels. The rumors for 2024 and Ultra lineup perfectly if they keep the watch the same size but nearly ELIMINATE the bezels, the screen would grow in viewable area from 1.8 to 2.1 inches diagonal without changing the form factor at all.

Reactions: johnaldis

Matrix1776

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2020
Still waiting for a new watch that makes me want to upgrade from my Series 4….
What do you mean? The Apple Watch Ultra has been magical to me. I'm not some Pro-Safari Indiana Jones guy, but the bigger size, days of battery life, huge screen, is amazing. The battery is a true game changer, I rarely think about it, and then it's a 20-min charge while I quick shower. I don't even take it off for the hot tub, works flawless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.