Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
If they get any bigger I may as well strap an iPhone to the wrist
Ha. I mean, I wouldn't even count on that. We're getting to the point that the largest iPhone next year may be larger than the iPad mini.

I've been complaining about it for years, but it seems to be coming true anyway. Apple won't be happy until the Apple Watch, iPhone, and iPad are all tablets.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
In some ways, the Series 4 which introduced the ECG capabilities was the big jump. Maybe I will upgrade next year, probably will go with the best which is the Ultra.
Always on display always mattered most to me. But the ecg def became a factor when I got afib

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Size is where it should be now. Bigger is not better in this case as the watch becomes clunky on your wrist

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Sadly the lack of competition, allows Apple to 'sit out' another year with a S9 being essentially the same as the S8.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
They may try, but (in a not corporate controlled “justice” system) good luck explaining to a judge how a name in an entirely different product category is infringement.

I haven’t looked into it, but I doubt Microsoft copyright or trademark for Series X has been applied to the wearables product category when they filed it for a gaming device.
Apple sued a small coffee shop owner claiming their logo looked too similar to their Apple. Disney sued a family for putting the Avengers logo on their sons grave stone. Luck doesn’t have anything to do with it, giant corps go after anything that links to their IPs or names all the time.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple sued a small coffee shop owner claiming their logo looked too similar to their Apple. Disney sued a family for putting the Avengers logo on their sons grave stone. Luck doesn’t have anything to do with it, giant corps go after anything that links to their IPs or names all the time.
Yes, but in a battle between mega corporations it’s a different thing.

I’m not sure Series X is going to be the name in the first place, but unless MS explicitly filed that in a different device category that the watch falls under their not going to have much to go on. I’m not sure they can argue to a (legit) judge that users are getting confused between an Xbox and a watch…

rymc02

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2021
No iPhone 9, no Apple Watch series 9.
It's a marketing thing. The theory is that people have a perception of "9" as incomplete or a stop gap to "10". So they will wait for the 10 because it's more of a complete number. Same way you never saw Windows 9.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
I got a refurbished Series 7 last year and gave my OG SE to my wife and we're both still very happy. I really like the newer design so would be great to see it moving to the SE, although I don't see myself upgrade for a few years at least.

That being said, I like my watch for what it is, but I really hope that going forward it will become more dynamic in what information it presents. I usually struggle to find complications I really want permanently on my watch face beyond date and temperature, but I would love it if it could present me with a bus or train schedule on my way to work in the morning or a calendar appointment or reminder when I have one without taking up the screen when I don't.
The Siri watch face is supposed to do this. Perhaps what we need is a Siri complication?

Reactions: xpxp2002

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
The Siri watch face is supposed to do this. Perhaps what we need is a Siri complication?
The Siri watch face needs better support for (or perhaps, from?) third-party apps. It only has space for one small complication. But I want to relevant information from more apps surfaced when it's relevant.

Right now, I use the Modular face with complications for weather, activity, ecobee, battery, and the large one for my calendar. The Siri face can do all that except show my ecobee's status. I'd really like to have that be a card in the stack, perhaps near the top with weather.

Likewise, I'd like to have a Siri card for Home status similar to the iPhone Lock Screen widget. Even better if it can be customized to show temperatures and humidity for specific rooms or sensors. Right now, there's no native way to bring that information from HomeKit to any face on Apple Watch.

Reactions: mjs916

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
You're right. But you do recall them skipping iPhone 9, right?

oh I do, but I have no reason to believe they will this year. iPhone 8 came out the same year as iPhone X... if you remember they couldn't make iPhone X in high quantity at first and it was going to be more expensive than any iPhone before, it was also a radically new design for the first time ever... so they came out with the iPhone 8 then called the "special" iPhone X that same year to set it apart and 9 was lost. In this case the article was talking about 2024 rumors where of course the Apple Watch will be the Series 10 (the article admits the Watch X identifier was made up by the author) so that means this fall there will be a Series 9. Apple will NOT skip a new Apple Watch this year, hell they will have some new colors and some meaningless new feature but they will ALWAYS make sure there is a new watch to buy each year as these are big Christmas present sellers and no one wants to buy an "old" watch.

Reactions: mjs916 and alexandr

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
oh I do, but I have no reason to believe they will this year. iPhone 8 came out the same year as iPhone X... if you remember they couldn't make iPhone X in high quantity at first and it was going to be more expensive than any iPhone before, it was also a radically new design for the first time ever... so they came out with the iPhone 8 then called the "special" iPhone X that same year to set it apart and 9 was lost. In this case the article was talking about 2024 rumors where of course the Apple Watch will be the Series 10 (the article admits the Watch X identifier was made up by the author) so that means this fall there will be a Series 9. Apple will NOT skip a new Apple Watch this year, hell they will have some new colors and some meaningless new feature but they will ALWAYS make sure there is a new watch to buy each year as these are big Christmas present sellers and no one wants to buy an "old" watch.
Yes, it was the final nail in the coffin of iPhone naming convention consistency :D

An iPhone 8 which would've been a perfect 7s, as the glass back was they only thing that made it different from the 7.

Like I said — you're right this article is talking about the '24 AW so it makes sense that it would be the 10th AW. Personally I think the whole "X" name was bad, as some people called it the 10 while some — X, same with 10S and XS :)

As soon as they add the thermometer function to the AW — I'm upgrading :)

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Yuck. Get over the "X" already!
I was fine years ago for the OS and mostly just branding rather than versioning. Now it is just confusing. Besides the longstanding confusion over "X" vs 10 (who counts in roman numerals anymore?), will this be the 9th or 10th phone series?

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Interesting one of the few reasons to get the series 8 over the SE is screen size/always on display. If they equal the screen size on SE. I wonder what they'll have to add to the X to rationalize the price ladder.
I bought an Ultra watch and i gotta say I love the increase in battery life it's made the Apple watch so much better to use day to day. I can go a night forgetting to charge it and it's not the end of the world.. I wonder if the X will have some battery leap to justify the cost. Maybe a 3nm die shrink will be exclusive to X. Thus much better ultra like battery life?

I'm guessing there will be no blood glucose or blood pressure monitor still. The cost/FDA approval process for this tech alone makes me think if we ever see this it will be in a band as an add on accessory to the watch. That way insurance companies can subsidize it too.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I get the sense that most of the really exciting upgrades will be reserved for Watch Ultra from now on and that the standard and SE Watch will only see very small, iterative improvements from year to year, kinda like what we see for iPhones when considering mid-tier iPhones vs iPhones Pro.

It'll be $799 if you want substantial upgrades from year to year or $399 if you can settle with getting what's essentially S7-S8 but upgraded to the SiP that the Ultra also gets.

The same "every device gets the latest SoC/SiP, but only the high-end model is genuinely a big, high value, overall upgrade from last years lineup"-strategy that Apple does across nearly all of its product lines.

My wrist hates this.

49mm is far beyond what can look proportionate on the average wrist. Full stop.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
This year it's 8th gen, last year it was 7th gen, the year before it was 6th gen. The year before it was 5th gen, you see how this is going?
But why then was the Apple Watch Series 1 part of the second generation?

Remember back in 2012 when MacRumors was split into two camps arguing over if the next iPhone should be called the 5 (because it came after the 4S) or 6 (because it was the sixth generation)? I think it’s safe to say we’re past the point where Apple’s numbering always made sense.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
Sad thing about this rumor is that the only thing anticipated about the 'Series X' is that it's 5-10% bigger. Not even tech enthusiasts can imagine how to improve the Apple Watch! What does Dick Tracey's watch or the Pokétch have that the Apple Watch still doesn't have?

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
When you run out of ideas to implement, just change the name and make it a tad bigger. The apple way! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.