Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There's a strange bug with the Apple Watch today that's causing resprings whenever Siri is questioned about the weather. Asking Siri something like "What's the temperature?" or "What's the weather?" or "Is it raining?" causes the Apple Watch to crash.

The issue has been documented in several threads on the MacRumors forums and on reddit, and we've also been able to replicate it on our own devices.

applewatchrespring.jpg

Complaints about the problem appear to have started this morning, and the bug is confirmed to be affecting both LTE and GPS Apple Watch Series 3 models as well as older Apple Watch models running watchOS 4.1. Not all Apple Watch owners in all countries are affected, but it appears to be impacting users in the United States, Canada, and Europe.

It's not yet clear what's causing the issue, but the weather app itself is working fine, and restarting and resetting the watch don't appear to fix the problem. From MacRumors forum member SRLMJ23:
It is not rebooting, it is spring-boarding. The App (Siri or Weather?) is crashing but not the entire watchOS. Just time how long it takes for a reboot vs. spring-boarding. Spring-boarding takes way less time than an entire reboot.

However, this bug appeared today because yesterday everything was working fine when I asked Siri "What is the forecast for today" or "What is the temperature right now."

I am sure Apple will fix this pretty quick!

I have an Apple Watch Series 3 + LTE/GPS. Very odd bug, cannot wait to see what Apple has to say about this.
Curiously, asking Siri about the weather tomorrow or next week doesn't cause a problem -- it's only questions about the current weather conditions that are resulting in errors. It's possible that this is an issue related to the upcoming time change, as one reddit user has discovered. Daylight Saving Time is set to end on Sunday, November 5 in many regions in the United States and Canada.
Okay, I think I've figured it out. It's a bug related to the end of Daylight Saving Time. If I ask for the weather in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, it works. If I ask for the weather in Winnipeg, Manitoba, it crashes. Saskatchewan doesn't observe DST. I think if a time change is set to occur within 24 hours in the city you're asking about, it will crash.
Apple will likely have this fixed shortly (or it'll clear up after Sunday), but for now, it's best to avoid using the watch to ask questions about the weather in order to prevent sudden resprings.

(Thanks, Shawn!)

Article Link: Apple Watch Bug Causing Restarts When Asking Siri About the Weather

Reactions: Radic112

bogie66

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
I wiped and reset up my watch because of this bug. Guess I'll just wait for an update now.

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
If its time change related, it shouldn't affect the EU, as we changed last weekend. Personally I have no issues. its a strange one.

Is66c

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
California
Funny tip, if you recently got a new iPhone X and want the icon to show up properly on your Apple Watch asking about the weather will refresh it so the icon is correct.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Funny tip, if you recently got a new iPhone X and want the icon to show up properly on your Apple Watch asking about the weather will refresh it so the icon is correct.

Lol, thanks for this. My watch is now displaying the correct glyph.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
funnily enough this was the first time in a long time i even bothered to use siri on my watch and what do i get? „ill give u a tap when i am ready“

- Siri - same bitch different season

it eventually worked here in Germany btw, but we turned our clocks back last week

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
It did it to me today while I was driving. "Just use your phone" isn't an option while driving.

At least it should be OK tomorrow.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Read the article and the posts. Sitting an airport lounge and bored. Siri what’s the weather today. Yup restarted let’s start a drinking game about this.
[doublepost=1509843009][/doublepost]
It did it to me today while I was driving. "Just use your phone" isn't an option while driving.

At least it should be OK tomorrow.
You could look out the window ;)

wwetech

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
#Weatherga....... wait what am iDoing? Is it just me or is Apple failing to polish the bugs out before releasing products/updates? :confused:

No one likes “unbaked” Apple pie.. or do they?:eek:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I’m in Arizona and when I ask for the local weather it’s fine. When I ask for the weather in Los Angeles, however, it crashes. Arizona doesn’t observe DST, but California does.

EDIT: when I ask about Northern California cities (Sacramento, San Francisco) it’s ok. When I ask about cities in SoCal, it crashes. Las Vegas is OK but New York City isn’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.