Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I sent feedback to Apple (as I’m sure many others did) when I bought my Series 4 less than 5 months ago suggesting that we should be able to choose exactly the Watch we want.

This is now available online with Apple Watch Studio.

At the time I’d have gone for the Silver Aluminium case but with a Dark strap as opposed to the Platinum, still in the box one, that it came with.

Now you can choose your Size, Case Type and Strap combo. It’s excellent and long overdue.

upload_2019-9-12_1-23-4.jpeg

upload_2019-9-12_1-23-25.jpeg

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Just wish there was a dark grey band hehe.

The closest you’ll get to that at the moment, I think, is to order the Silver case with the Anthracite band, something you were unable to do before Apple Watch Studio was introduced.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
The closest you’ll get to that at the moment, I think, is to order the Silver case with the Anthracite band, something you were unable to do before Apple Watch Studio was introduced.
I can't see that band option. So I just went black.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
It is still limited, though:
* No 'case only' option.
* You are still stuck with the bands that match that 'collection'. You can't buy a Nike watch and throw an Hermes band on there for instance.

Reactions: Kimjongjohan

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
* No 'case only' option.
* You are still stuck with the bands that match that 'collection'. You can't buy a Nike watch and throw an Hermes band on there for instance.

True - but it’s a start - something that wasn’t available before now and a big departure for Apple to give us more choice.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I tried to use the studio to buy an aluminum watch with a black leather band and it said it wouldn’t ship till October so I just got the standard band and will get another band to wear during more formal occasions later.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
* No 'case only' option.

this part is also a little odd. like you can mix and match hermes and nike watches now too but for hermes they already have all of them paired and ready to order as they usually would (maybe unless you want a silver ss with the nior band)

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
I sent feedback to Apple (as I’m sure many others did) when I bought my Series 4 less than 5 months ago suggesting that we should be able to choose exactly the Watch we want.

This is now available online with Apple Watch Studio.

At the time I’d have gone for the Silver Aluminium case but with a Dark strap as opposed to the Platinum, still in the box one, that it came with.

Now you can choose your Size, Case Type and Strap combo. It’s excellent and long overdue.

View attachment 857483

View attachment 857484

I strongly agree! Every watch I have bought I never used the band! This time I got to choose the gold Milanese loop with my gold aluminum watch. They look great together and only cost $49 extra with the watch

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I do really wish they let you not get a band - we already have plenty and would be nice to not force this part of the purchase.

Reactions: deeddawg

Tb87Bln

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2016
I strongly agree! Every watch I have bought I never used the band! This time I got to choose the gold Milanese loop with my gold aluminum watch. They look great together and only cost $49 extra with the watch
I have been wondering about this combination as well... looks really nice at least at the website! I would love to get this combination as well...

I haven’t been following it in the last years but are there any problems (rust or corrosion or anything else) when using the aluminum Apple Watch together with an apple Milanese loop or any other steel bands? Are there any reports about damage? (apart from scratches on the display from the band)
To have steel and aluminum touching each other and potentially having some water/sweat from normal everyday usage there as well sounds troublesome...

I know a couple of years ago apple (or some geniuses at the store at least) said you couldn’t/shouldn’t use bands for the SS watch with the aluminum sports watch...
Now it sounds like this has changed? This new watch studio lets you mix and match freely.
So I guess apple must have found a way to limit the risk of any corrosion between the watch and the band...?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have been wondering about this combination as well... looks really nice at least at the website! I would love to get this combination as well...

I haven’t been following it in the last years but are there any problems (rust or corrosion or anything else) when using the aluminum Apple Watch together with an apple Milanese loop or any other steel bands? Are there any reports about damage? (apart from scratches on the display from the band)
To have steel and aluminum touching each other and potentially having some water/sweat from normal everyday usage there as well sounds troublesome...

I know a couple of years ago apple (or some geniuses at the store at least) said you couldn’t/shouldn’t use bands for the SS watch with the aluminum sports watch...
Now it sounds like this has changed? This new watch studio lets you mix and match freely.
So I guess apple must have found a way to limit the risk of any corrosion between the watch and the band...?
I wear my aluminum S4 with my stainless link band (which I bought with my stainless steel original series 0). No issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.