Apple Watch Users Embracing Apple Pay for Everyday Purchases

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
49,579
10,893



Apple Pay on iPhone is a convenient and secure way to make payments without taking a debit or credit card out of your wallet, but you still need to take the smartphone out of your pocket to make a purchase. For that reason, Apple Pay has proven more transformative on Apple Watch, since the device is worn on the wrist and readily available for contactless payments.

Apple Pay with a phone is still just taking something out of your pocket. Not transformative. With a watch it's amazing. End of friction - Benedict Evans (@BenedictEvans) June 28, 2015
The latest data from research firm Wristly supports that notion, with 80% of the over 1,000 respondents surveyed in the U.S. and U.K. claiming they have used Apple Pay on an Apple Watch at least once. The remaining 20% of respondents indicated they "do not perceive a benefit" to Apple Pay, have security concerns or believe their payment needs are already being met.


Just over half (51%) of respondents described using Apple Pay on the Apple Watch as "magical," an adjective often used by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, while 42% indicated that the service is "convenient." An additional 3% of respondents said Apple Pay is "good," but with some areas of concern, and the remaining 4% of users found Apple Pay "not that useful."

Given the choice, 79% of respondents preferred to use Apple Pay on the Apple Watch and 9% preferred to use the mobile payments service on an iPhone. The survey panel most commonly used Apple Pay for everyday shopping (81%), in addition to recurring services such as Starbucks (60%), bigger purchases (35%), in-app purchases (29%) and other purchases (11%)...

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Watch Users Embracing Apple Pay for Everyday Purchases
 

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
1,668
1,600
Tired of these Wristly reports now. The company exists to hype the Apple Watch and similar platforms for their own benefit...

Our vision is to contribute to the Apple Watch success by delivering innovative tools and services to developers and marketers of the platform.
 

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
4,131
1,910
Manhattan
I have been behind a few people trying to use Apple Pay on their watch and it certainly isn't convenient for me to watch them make several attempts before pulling out their wallets and paying in cash.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
1,296
1,060
You gotta draw the line somewhere. Seen the movie Wall-E yet? Once everything becomes convenient as you say, we will be doing next to nothing. Just sayin'
Wall-E is satire... Not a foretelling!

Since I got the watch I've used Apple Pay (and Starbucks and movie tickets and plane tickets) on it everywhere I can.

I've also lost 20 pounds, using the activity rings to motivate me.

Is it possible that convenience gives us more time to do the things we want (like exercise, spending time with family, playing with the dog, going on an evening walk) rather than the things we have to do (like paying for stuff)?

Nah - convenience must be all about just making us fat and lazy /s
 

l3it3r

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
162
41
Hagerstown, MD
I use my watch every single day at Starbucks. Granted that's not Apple Pay, but i love using it for payment. Looking forward to more places accepting it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ikenstein
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.