Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Maybe that's why TouchID only works once every 10 times; so Apple can make me buy their watch.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
And yet I've never had it fail once. Interesting. :rolleyes:
I don't have an Apple Watch, but I have had it fail several times on my iPhone 6. It's annoying as the phone doesn't tell you the transaction has failed, only the terminal does. Led to a lot of confusion the first time that happened, as I thought I had paid (the wallet on the phone listed the last transaction).

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
You gotta draw the line somewhere. Seen the movie Wall-E yet? Once everything becomes convenient as you say, we will be doing next to nothing. Just sayin'

Wow. That's amazing. You equate someone deciding not to carry 5 or 6 credit cards around in their wallet, credit cards that could get lost or stolen, and wanting to have security and privacy, and not wanting to have to sign a credit card receipt with people lying around on floating sofas? That's a stretch.

The post to which you made your fairly ridiculous reply is actually dead on. I notice you did't respond directly to it. So let me ask you this. Do you own remote controls? If so, why do you find it lazy for me to want to have contactless payments, but you don't find it lazy to sit on the sofa and channel surf, instead of getting up and selecting what you want to watch?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You gotta draw the line somewhere. Seen the movie Wall-E yet? Once everything becomes convenient as you say, we will be doing next to nothing. Just sayin'

Maybe you should be Amish. That's their philosophy. No washing machines, no powered lawn mowers, no cars. No conveniences that would make you become Wall-E.

amish-hack-buggy.jpg

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Society is getting lazier and lazier. Too much effort with a wallet eh? Sheesh.
Lot's of people tell me this, maybe because i hate useless obstructions like pin's, (metal)keys, "startbuttons" and the sort. It's not lazy; it's efficient. And safer while we're at it.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Wow. That's amazing. You equate someone deciding not to carry 5 or 6 credit cards around in their wallet, credit cards that could get lost or stolen, and wanting to have security and privacy, and not wanting to have to sign a credit card receipt with people lying around on floating sofas? That's a stretch.

The post to which you made your fairly ridiculous reply is actually dead on. I notice you did't respond directly to it. So let me ask you this. Do you own remote controls? If so, why do you find it lazy for me to want to have contactless payments, but you don't find it lazy to sit on the sofa and channel surf, instead of getting up and selecting what you want to watch?
AH why didn't i think of that! I'm stealing the comparison :)

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois

Apple Pay on iPhone is a convenient and secure way to make payments without taking a debit or credit card out of your wallet, but you still need to take the smartphone out of your pocket to make a purchase. For that reason, Apple Pay has proven more transformative on Apple Watch, since the device is worn on the wrist and readily available for contactless payments.

The latest data from research firm Wristly supports that notion, with 80% of the over 1,000 respondents surveyed in the U.S. and U.K. claiming they have used Apple Pay on an Apple Watch at least once. The remaining 20% of respondents indicated they "do not perceive a benefit" to Apple Pay, have security concerns or believe their payment needs are already being met.

Wristly-Apple-Pay-First-Use.jpg

Just over half (51%) of respondents described using Apple Pay on the Apple Watch as "magical," an adjective often used by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, while 42% indicated that the service is "convenient." An additional 3% of respondents said Apple Pay is "good," but with some areas of concern, and the remaining 4% of users found Apple Pay "not that useful."

Given the choice, 79% of respondents preferred to use Apple Pay on the Apple Watch and 9% preferred to use the mobile payments service on an iPhone. The survey panel most commonly used Apple Pay for everyday shopping (81%), in addition to recurring services such as Starbucks (60%), bigger purchases (35%), in-app purchases (29%) and other purchases (11%)...

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Watch Users Embracing Apple Pay for Everyday Purchases
Benedict Evans is a shill and a tool.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I think it's great that Apple Pay is working so nicely on the Apple Watch... A good valid benefit of having the watch.

However, this, fitness benefits and messaging conveinence seem to be the top 3 features/benefits that any smart watch can bring... What I hope to see is some "killer" application that takes smart watches from a "convenience" item to a "must have".

For the record... I don't own one yet... I'm in the camp of waiting for version 2.0 to come out then I'll probably buy-in.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Society is getting lazier and lazier. Too much effort with a wallet eh? Sheesh.
Yeah, I know what you mean...

Yesterday, I was so lazy that I used an automobile to drive 38 miles, instead of hitching up the wagon to the horses, or walking it.
I also decided to use a wrench to tighten some bolts, instead of my teeth.
Later, I was so lazy that I used a computer to manage my checking account instead of the abacus, paper and pen.
Before I went to bed, I used my phone to set the alarm and turn on my Apple TV, instead of having the actors of Frasier come to my house and put on 4 episodes of the show in my living room.
As I turned off the lights, rather than putting out the bonfire in the cave, I thought about how convenient life is, now that I don't have to kill a pig, wring out his pancreas and purify the juice for my insulin.

Count me in as one of the lazy ones.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I really wish they would bring it to canada. I use tap to pay 100% of the time (as long as the place accepts it which 95% of stores do it seems). I don't have the watch and won't be getting one unless gen 2 is vastly superior but I would rather take out my phone than open my wallet

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Hmm.. are we getting more trolls or are they getting better at provoking responses??

Reactions: jaymc

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Living in the UK, I am constantly using my Apple Watch to pay for my travel on the TfL network and also for making small purchases in stores. There have been a few times recently where I leave my Oyster card at home by mistake and Apple Pay 'saves the day' lol

I'm not one to use my debit card very often, I tend to always try to use cash, but Apple Pay on Apple Watch is such a time saver and its one less card to carry in my pocket - which I rarely carried in the first place.

I dont have an iPhone 6, but I can imagine it takes the same amount of time to use a card.
Overall, I believe Apple Pay is the best service Apple has ever brought to the UK :)

By the way, using a Watch to pay for things is much cooler than using a phone or contactless card. It really gets people confused :p

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
What exactly is their benefit?

The sale of their unannounced products and services, so far referred to as 'tools' and 'insights'.

Given the headlines on this page http://www.wristly.co/#!insights/cgiv I don't think their research into the popularity of Apple Watch is entirely unbiased. I'm not saying they're wrong, just that they're clearly trying to make headlines and create a market for their products, whatever they may be.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, I know what you mean...

Yesterday, I was so lazy that I used an automobile to drive 38 miles, instead of hitching up the wagon to the horses, or walking it.
I also decided to use a wrench to tighten some bolts, instead of my teeth.
Later, I was so lazy that I used a computer to manage my checking account instead of the abacus, paper and pen.
Before I went to bed, I used my phone to set the alarm and turn on my Apple TV, instead of having the actors of Frasier come to my house and put on 4 episodes of the show in my living room.
As I turned off the lights, rather than putting out the bonfire in the cave, I thought about how convenient life is, now that I don't have to kill a pig, wring out his pancreas and purify the juice for my insulin.

Count me in as one of the lazy ones.

Oh poor people who have loads of cash in their pockets, go to the opera, buy hand made shoes and clothes and like to exercise. They sure envy you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.