Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Yup.

The hilarious part about TAG's watch is that people who were not considering a smartwatch of any kind are suddenly saying, "Oh this looks good, I might buy one," even though it has no hardware or software advantage over any other Android Wear product already on the market..

People are looking at the brand name and that's it. Apple buyers get accused of plunking down cash for anything with a half-bitten apple logo, but this is worse.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Just did some googling about hipsters, as they annoy me personally, but better get some facts :)

The thing I find the most hypocritical is that they shun big labels and cooperations, love retro, and yet love apple products. Ummm Hello?!?

I can completely understand that there would be a high concentration of apple products and watches in Portland.

I believe as a hipster you cannot wear a Rolex or Omega etc, an Apple Watch is probably the choice product to go with the iPhone and messager bag that has a MacBook in it.

Have these people not realised Apple is now cool and trendy??

Ultimately, no one knows what a hipster is, and much of it depends on where you live. I find it's often just a derogatory term by used people who are more conservative. The people often considered hipsters here in Portland are more old-timey, with analogue watches and vintage clothing, and I don't see them using much tech at all. I see tons of middle age people with MacBooks and iPhones.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Ultimately, no one knows what a hipster is, and much of it depends on where you live. I find it's often just a derogatory term by used people who are more conservative. The people often considered hipsters here in Portland are more old-timey, with analogue watches and vintage clothing, and I don't see them using much tech at all. I see tons of middle age people with MacBooks and iPhones.

Have to ask, is the TV series Portlandia an adequate spoof ? He he

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Have to ask, is the TV series Portlandia an adequate spoof ? He he

A fun fact about the show is that the writers originally didn't plan on it being about Portland, but, since Carrie Brownstein lived here, they eventually settled on it. I think certain parts of lots of American cities have similar qualities, although they do a great job of honing in on the specifically quirky essence of Portland, despite the show certainly being over the top.

I own a business in L.A., and, when we got to the point where we could live anywhere, we chose Portland. We just love it here.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
A fun fact about the show is that the writers originally didn't plan on it being about Portland, but, since Carrie Brownstein lived here, they eventually settled on it. I think certain parts of lots of American cities have similar qualities, although they do a great job of honing in on the specifically quirky essence of Portland, despite the show certainly being over the top.

I own a business in L.A., and, when we got to the point where we could live anywhere, we chose Portland. We just love it here.

Cheers for that. Next time I am in the states, I might add it to my places to visit. :)

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Yup.

The hilarious part about TAG's watch is that people who were not considering a smartwatch of any kind are suddenly saying, "Oh this looks good, I might buy one," even though it has no hardware or software advantage over any other Android Wear product already on the market..

People are looking at the brand name and that's it. Apple buyers get accused of plunking down cash for anything with a half-bitten apple logo, but this is worse.

How is this any different than the Watch|Hermes deal? People who were not at all interested in a smartwatch before this happened are now buying it because it says Hermes on it. It actually doesn't matter whether Apple is offering a better product than Android, because this is about people buying something strictly because of the brand, without any other awareness of the product. So if you think it's worse, then it's worse for Apple too.

That said, there's no doubt the Hermes customers are getting a much deal in the end. But most don't know or care about that when they buy it.

Reactions: BarracksSi

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I've been saying it all along, and I'm already selling off my Rolexes and Omegas. I've had a lifelong interest in horology, but I find the Apple Watch too useful everyday to wear anything else.

That's a shame, it's like selling off your family heirloom as there is a playstation out this year.
Come 40 years time your heirloom will be lost and the playstation no one cares about :(

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I'm keeping my Omega Seamaster, but it's now sitting in my jewelry box drawer. I don't know if my fascination with the Apple Watch has legs and will last a long time or not, but it has become my daily timepiece and my latest obsession.

itbeme

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
I own a TAG which I love. Recently got an Apple Watch. Said, nah, no way - Apple Watch, I'll only wear it in transit, or while exercising. Well, I've had it a week. Put it down today at home in favor of my beloved TAG. Result ...going through withdrawal already....and...I'm looking at it, gorgeous as it is and saying to myself ...it's like a "dead" useless piece of metal. Like a radio that looks good that you can't turn on.

As much as I love my TAG, I've seen the future. At some point this will cross a line for a lot of folks. Already, I myself don't see how I could turn back. If my personal experience is any indication - yes the watch industry is headed for a (permanent) shake up.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
How is this any different than the Watch|Hermes deal? People who were not at all interested in a smartwatch before this happened are now buying it because it says Hermes on it. It actually doesn't matter whether Apple is offering a better product than Android, because this is about people buying something strictly because of the brand, without any other awareness of the product. So if you think it's worse, then it's worse for Apple too.

That said, there's no doubt the Hermes customers are getting a much deal in the end. But most don't know or care about that when they buy it.

Because the Apple Watch is technologically superior to any other watch, even on craftsmanship, it's superior than the TAG, even the presentation box that the TAG comes with is a dog's crap compared to the Apple Watch box!

You really can't compare a company that does everything exceptionally well, to a logo that a champagne company bought to sell overpriced seikos.

Reactions: L.C.W.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I'm a private tutor in the North of England. All my spoilt little rich kids have iPhones, mostly iPhone 6 and 6S. They also have MacBooks and iPads. (One school round here makes iPads compulsory for its students.) Many of my students have expensive watches: from Rolex to Tag Heuer. None of them have an Apple Watch. None of them have any interest in having an Apple Watch.

I have an SS with Link, and I like it a lot. It's mostly a watch to me. I was excited about the Tag Connected for two minutes until I realised they'd under spec'd and overcharged.

I've seen one Apple Watch in real life up here. The receptionist (a middle-aged lady) at my vets had one.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Because the Apple Watch is technologically superior to any other watch, even on craftsmanship
And that statement's when I knew I could stop reading your post.

You might have had an argument against this new Tag, and maybe even Tags in general, but it's just blatant hyperbole to suggest Apple has craftsmanship standards better than all other watches. Equal to, in some cases maybe. Better than overall? Not by a long shot.

Reactions: xtshabi

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Because the Apple Watch is technologically superior to any other watch, even on craftsmanship, it's superior than the TAG, even the presentation box that the TAG comes with is a dog's crap compared to the Apple Watch box!

You really can't compare a company that does everything exceptionally well, to a logo that a champagne company bought to sell overpriced seikos.
You might want to qualify that statement by making it "...superior to any other smart watch..." I'll put the quality of my Omega Seamaster up against anything out there for overall build quality. ;)

xtshabi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2015

Come on.

I like the last bit about the champagne company thing though.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Come on.

I like the last bit about the champagne company thing though.

Come on?

It's true.

And that statement's when I knew I could stop reading your post.

You might have had an argument against this new Tag, and maybe even Tags in general, but it's just blatant hyperbole to suggest Apple has craftsmanship standards better than all other watches. Equal to, in some cases maybe. Better than overall? Not by a long shot.

Why is not?

The Apple Watch has the best craftsmanship of any smartwatch. Period.

The TAG has a plastic back, on the back of an Apple Watch, you'll find a zirconia cover, with steel rings, and sapphire lenses.

The Apple Watch has a curved sapphire glass, the tag has a straight sapphire glass... The glass matches perfectly the curved shape of the rest of the body.

The Apple Watch is much more complex from a CNC point of view, the TAG is much simpler in comparison. There's not even the complexity of a digital crown...

Even the unboxing of a $599 Apple Watch looks like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

The unboxing of the $1500 TAG looks like this:

7LixKUx.png

Holy Sweet Mother of Christ. It's ridiculous! Foam, Hand-cut paper, cheapest plastic (plastic water bottles), it's just ridiculous for a $150 device, much more for a $1500 device!

But doesn't matter, fools will buy it anyways, because it's "TAG"... not even an OLED, like a $349 Watch would have.

Last edited:

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Come on?

It's true.

Why is not?

The Apple Watch has the best craftsmanship of any smartwatch. Period.

The TAG has a plastic back, on the back of an Apple Watch, you'll find a zirconia cover, with steel rings, and sapphire lenses.

The Apple Watch has a curved sapphire glass, the tag has a straight sapphire glass... The glass matches perfectly the curved shape of the rest of the body.

The Apple Watch is much more complex from a CNC point of view, the TAG is much simpler in comparison. There's not even the complexity of a digital crown...

Even the unboxing of a $599 Apple Watch looks like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

The unboxing of the $1500 TAG looks like this:

7LixKUx.png

Holy Sweet Mother of Christ. It's ridiculous! Foam, Hand-cut paper, cheapest plastic (plastic water bottles), it's just ridiculous for a $150 device, much more for a $1500 device!

But doesn't matter, fools will buy it anyways, because it's "TAG"... not even an OLED, like a $349 Watch would have.

You're right. I just thought you meant to say the Apple Watch has better craftsmanship than any other watch, not just smart watch.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
You're right. I just thought you meant to say the Apple Watch has better craftsmanship than any other watch, not just smart watch.

That's because it's what he wrote: "the Apple Watch is technologically superior to any other watch, even on craftsmanship"

However, I would even disagree with that depending on the smartwatch, mainly because the Watch is glued together. I'd have to know how the other smartwatches are assembled. I'm sure there's not a traditional Tag, Omega, or Rolex in the world that is glued together, possibly including this particular TAG smartwatch.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I'd have to know how the other smartwatches are assembled. I'm sure there's not a traditional Tag, Omega, or Rolex in the world that is glued together, possibly including this particular TAG smartwatch.
I would definitely feel better if the AW wasn't mostly held together by glue, no matter how advanced adhesives have become.

I gotta dig up an interview with a watchmaker about Rolex versus Omega, specifically a comment about Omega's Seamaster Pro. He found that Omega secures the helium release valve with Loc-Tite, which he wouldn't trust for keeping a good seal.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
However, I would even disagree with that depending on the smartwatch, mainly because the Watch is glued together. I'd have to know how the other smartwatches are assembled. I'm sure there's not a traditional Tag, Omega, or Rolex in the world that is glued together, possibly including this particular TAG smartwatch.

Tags, Omega, and Rolexes, etc, all use glue in the exactly same way that the Apple Watch does.

The front and back glasses / ceramics have to glued to the metal.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Tags, Omega, and Rolexes, etc, all use glue in the exactly same way that the Apple Watch does.

I think you will find the crystals in their watches are a press-fit. Rolex do use glue to secure the cyclops to their sapphire crystals but they don't use any adhesives to secure the crystal to the case.

Reactions: SHNXX

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013

are you sure?
what about higher end watches (e.g. Patek Philippe, Lange, VC, etc)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The craftsmanship involved in super high end mechanicals is insane...

And yet, my cheap, crappy Apple Watch is much more useful. :) In this day and age I fail to see why putting an item on your wrist that does just one thing - is worth doing. I recognize the beauty and craftsmanship of that watch, but yet, if given the choice...

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I'm keeping my Omega Seamaster, but it's now sitting in my jewelry box drawer. I don't know if my fascination with the Apple Watch has legs and will last a long time or not, but it has become my daily timepiece and my latest obsession.

I wouldn't call my Apple Watch an obsession, but in a similar vein, my Omega Seamaster has also been pretty much sitting on my valet since I got the Apple Watch. In fact, since it has just been sitting, I took the opportunity to have the Seamaster serviced at the service center down in your neck of the woods. Full service with a restoration on the bracelet. Hoping to have it back my Christmas.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I wouldn't call my Apple Watch an obsession, but in a similar vein, my Omega Seamaster has also been pretty much sitting on my valet since I got the Apple Watch. In fact, since it has just been sitting, I took the opportunity to have the Seamaster serviced at the service center down in your neck of the woods. Full service with a restoration on the bracelet. Hoping to have it back my Christmas.

I hear you. After wearing my Apple Watch every day for a few months, I decided to dust off my Aqua Terra and Submariner, since I've been planing on selling them, and I threw on the Sub for a few days. At first, I was reminded just how solid and beautiful the Sub is, but I quickly realized how all of the Apple Watch's little features combine into a pretty noticeable improvement in my daily life. The Apple Watch is back on my wrist, and I think I'm in this smartwatch thing for the long haul.

On a side note, I've been wearing my Apple Watch on black leather for a couple of days, and I just realized how much the design reminds me of one of my favorite furniture pieces, Breuer's Wassily Chair:

PD_13104_MAIN

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
That's a shame, it's like selling off your family heirloom as there is a playstation out this year.
Come 40 years time your heirloom will be lost and the playstation no one cares about :(

For all we know, a mechanical watch will be about as interesting as a vintage typewriter in 60 years. I do know that my four year old will appreciate the surprise week at Aulani that I'll fund when selling one of my mechanical watches. It's just about priorities, and I'm thrilled that I like a $950 smartwatch enough to sell thousands of dollars worth of mechanical watches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.