Apple Watch Wins Renowned iF Design Award Before Release

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While Apple Watch could be more than a month away from a public release, it has won a 2015 iF Gold Award from the International Forum (iF) Design in its annual industrial design competition. The jury called the Apple Watch design "an icon".

[​IMG]
    Apple Watch was one of only two telecommunication products out of 64 recipients to earn the "Gold" designation. Out of the 1,624 products recognized, only 75 of them received a Gold Award.

The iF has been hosting its renowned design awards since 1953, and its jury evaluates products on a set of criteria that includes workmanship, choice of materials, environmental friendliness, design quality, safety, brand value, ergonomics, workmanship, degree of innovation and functionality.

Apple has won a number of iF Design Awards, for major products like iPhone 6, iPad Air and iMac to accessories like EarPods and Apple Keyboard. In total, Apple has won 118 iF Design Awards, but only 44 have earned a "Gold" designation, with Apple Watch being the most recent.

The design of Apple Watch is one aspect of the device that Apple has been marketing thus far, with design chief Jony Ive talking about the challenge of designing the smart watch and it appearing on fashion magazines in both interior multi-page spreads and cover features.

Apple will provide more information about the Apple Watch at its March 9 media event.

Article Link: Apple Watch Wins Renowned iF Design Award Before Release

2. shlee9803 macrumors newbie

3. michaelant macrumors regular

michaelant

So do they have one already? I'm guessing no. Which makes the iF Gold Awards seem a bit shallow..(?)

4. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

Interesting. What's your design background?

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

If they had one in hand then congrats, if not then this means nothing.

6. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I laugh when rumour sites keep insisting they can predict the future. They are only assuming this but they make it sound like know it without a doubt. This is the likely scenario but NO ONE apart from APPLE know this for certain before the official announcement.

7. BlueParadox macrumors 6502

And why is that? Or have you simply signed-up to cause a stir?

8. cdm283813 macrumors 6502

Maybe he means don't judge a book by it's cover.

It's plain stupid to judge this thing based off looks. And it does not look great to begin with.

9. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

That's pretty subjective.

10. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

Looks are certainly an important aspect of a wearable device like the Apple Watch. I think it looks good.

11. technosix macrumors 6502a

I agree.

Apple watch is as plain and conventional as watches get. A clean design for sure, but design wise that's very easy to do. I don't see any sign of the typically excellent J.Ive work anywhere on this product. Rather boring actually.

12. DonutHands macrumors regular

DonutHands

They used steel and leather to make a watch. WOAH. You crazy Apple, you are so far ahead of the curve with your crazy ideas.

13. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

I'm glad that the judges' attention to detail is clearly more evolved than yours.

14. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

15. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Maybe a bit too cynical but not out of the realm of possibility that they give the award now because by the time they get to next years award there maybe a new product released which is better and therefore the watch would never get the award.

More marketing material for Apple either way.

16. filmantopia, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015

filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

Apple had to submit, so they clearly had access to all of the information required to make an informed decision. The judges are accomplished well respected in their design-related fields.

http://www.ifdesign.de/awards_jury_e

17. Zaqfalcon macrumors 6502

Next year I intend to win with something imaginary.

18. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Yep, if Apple hadn't submitted it for inclusion, it wouldn't have won an award.

As with many other setups like this, the trick is to submit a product at a time when you expect little or no competition in your category.

I've had bosses submit things all the time for these kinds of editorial awards. The association gets money for membership, my boss gets a nice Lucite trophy, and everyone's happy :)

19. Donoban macrumors 65816

Donoban

The apple watch can't fail now. It's already an icon.

20. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

So what are saying is that a site dedicated to rumors can't make a logical assumption of the announcement in an event which just so happens to be a month before a new product is set to release?

21. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Damn there is a lot of hate in this thread.

I, for one, actually enjoy the design of the Apple Watch. For those who say that it doesn't look good, well that's your opinion, but look that some of the Android watches out there. Most of them look hideous, especially the circular ones.

Good for Apple. Looking forward to this product.

22. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I looked more into iF. The current ranking on their website has Samsung at first place, and Apple in seventh place...

23. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I'm pretty sure Spock would be okay with stating it as a fact that Apple will talk about the Apple Watch on March 9th.

But you're partially right, nobody can predict the future. You get it wrong when you say Apple knows the future for certain. Cosmic events beyond our control could occur such that March 9th never comes.

Since you said Apple knows the future, though, you must be comfortable ignoring the possibility of such a cosmic event. Realize, then, that the rest of the world is dismissing the possibility of Apple not talking about the Apple Watch on March 9th as being just as unlikely as a breakdown in the space time continuum.

24. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Please tell me they had the final, mass-produced product to judge it. If they never physically saw it, or had a mock-up version, then this organization just lost all its credit.

Images mean nothing. Mockups mean nothing. Sorry.

25. wigby macrumors 68000

Clean design is much harder than the alternative. If you don't understand that I'm not sure I believe your admiration for Ive's other work.